HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2014, 05:44 PM
Joined Jan 2014
42 Posts
Discussion
Stobel V3.5 Vertical design shape, a jump ahead?

I love the look of the new V3.5 and was intrigued by the shape of the vertical. I did a little research and found an article online talking about this shape having advantages. Is this just about looking cool, or are they on to something?
4dnospolk is offline Find More Posts by 4dnospolk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:32 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,417 Posts
It seems like designs that are biased toward CLmax can take some advantage of the sawtooth LE. Speficically delaying the onset of separation at higher angles of attack. Actual implementation requires some engineering to take full advantage of those properties and there are regions where this can hurt performance.
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:36 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
824 Posts
I've built a set for my Stark and I like the results. I believe in the concept and think its worth while to invest in.
Here is a link to the original thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=207

I'm also building a set for a Snipe wing I bought. I purchased just a wing, as I don't like the fuselage at all, and I will be fiting it on one of eitanro's fuselages with a shark tooth rudder I'm building for it and make it into a "Snipeozaorus"
I hope to bag the tail next week and to finish the entire fuse in a couple of weeks. I'll probably do a build thread on it in a week or so.
roydor is online now Find More Posts by roydor
Old Jun 04, 2014, 06:10 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
680 Posts
Got a 3.5 vt and I'm considering what plane should I put it into .
nickbox is online now Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Jun 04, 2014, 09:50 AM
Joined Jan 2014
42 Posts
Roydor, I'd like to follow that thread, I'm curious if anyone's considered the LE on wing having this pattern?
And that's a work of art you've got! Very nice on the eyes.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 11:42 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,102 Posts
I think it works.
From what was explained to me by LEComposites, it takes full effect on the initial yaw after launch release. Anything after is all the same. The plane seems to straighten much sooner after release. Their testing, including what I noticed, shows an average of 15foot higher launches.
LEComps have also played with the idea putting the tubercles on the wing's LE and said it doesn't really work unless the plane is at a stalled angle-- which makes anything useless anyway.

Jun
Just passing on the message...
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jun 04, 2014, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2014
42 Posts
Thanks for the info, Im wondering if this will soon be a new standard, can you imagine the LE looking like this? Pretty cool, I hope they try it!