HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:49 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,897 Posts
When I ordered my 6255's I knew the antennas were shorter than I needed. So, I asked the guys at JR/Horizon to extend them for me, and they did. I am think they would do that for you too if you asked. Dan's post shows how long the portion in the wing needs to be, but you also need 1.5" to 2" within the fuse so things aren't pulled to tightly.

Make sure when you do this install that the antenna ends are not swinging forward back to the D-box. My tubes rotated a bit, and I need to fix them so I get best possible reception for this configuration.

It should also be noted that this is not, repeat NOT the way the radio manufactures recommend that the antenni be installed. It is always best for reception to have the antenna sticking outside if the possibility exists for Carbon to shield the antenna. But, I like living on the edge I guess.

Fly hard boys!

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:48 AM
Zeus
Wild East
Joined May 2008
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
When I ordered my 6255's I knew the antennas were shorter than I needed. So, I asked the guys at JR/Horizon to extend them for me, and they did. I am think they would do that for you too if you asked. Dan's post shows how long the portion in the wing needs to be, but you also need 1.5" to 2" within the fuse so things aren't pulled to tightly.

Make sure when you do this install that the antenna ends are not swinging forward back to the D-box. My tubes rotated a bit, and I need to fix them so I get best possible reception for this configuration.

It should also be noted that this is not, repeat NOT the way the radio manufactures recommend that the antenni be installed. It is always best for reception to have the antenna sticking outside if the possibility exists for Carbon to shield the antenna. But, I like living on the edge I guess.

Fly hard boys!

Mike
Mike,
Needless to say how happy I am tonight, cooling down my happiness by 6 times a couple of beers about the little package I received from you today, containing Dan's truly master pieces of wing (+ tail feather) bags, I never dreamed of could be possible to make it that awesome way..... I just love it...... Love it ! Outstanding!!!!

OK.... back to the antenna... At the begin I had some similar problems... to get it long enough... ACT of Germany helped me out a bit and created 20cm long pig tail antennas, which are just made to fit in and make reception, as far I can state, perfect, for any RX providing the standard micro coaxial plugs.

Those pig tail antennas can be fit to almost every existing RX to provide the required antenna length to make Mike's antenna system work.
In small quantities I can supply most urgent cases and soon I will have sufficient stock to supply any dement arising. Don't ask me for any pricing yet....just don't know, until I will get pricing from ACT Germany. For me, the very first redundant 2.4 GHz system made by ACT has provided an overall trouble free operation of my planes since. Any other system with single antenna TX and other than 3D double RX'es have cost me a lot of planes and repair(if it was possible).
Sorry for the little advertisement.....I mean it for good!

cheers,

Roland
KINETIC is online now Find More Posts by KINETIC
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:00 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,742 Posts
I'm having similar problems with my antennae. The Futaba R6208SB receiver has antennae that are fairly short - wit the receiver stuffed as far back into the pod as I can get it, the stripped ends barely make it past the DBox carbon when inserted into the wing tubes. It showed some issues when range checking it while sitting on the ground facing me nose-on (double worst case scenario). It didn't show any issues during moderate range flight tests, but it still makes me nervous.

I think I will order a couple Hirose u.fl cable assemblies from Digikey - a quick cut and some careful stripping will yield two nice long antennae from each assembly. Should help me sleep better.

I'm not going to seriously fly these models until I get that antenna length thing sorted out.

-m@
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
"Make sure when you do this install that the antenna ends are not swinging forward back to the D-box. My tubes rotated a bit, and I need to fix them so I get best possible reception for this configuration."
Mike[/QUOTE]

The nice thing about the Du-Bro housing tubes is they are plenty stiff to hold their shape. I run them all the way to the rear spar, glue them well with black CA, cut off the excess and done in five minutes. Mine have not shifted since installed.
Dan
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:30 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINETIC View Post
"Mike,
Needless to say how happy I am tonight, cooling down my happiness by 6 times a couple of beers about the little package I received from you today, containing Dan's truly master pieces of wing (+ tail feather) bags, I never dreamed of could be possible to make it that awesome way..... I just love it...... Love it ! Outstanding!!!!"
Roland

Thank you Roland. Glad you like them!
Dan
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:47 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfitz View Post
"Make sure when you do this install that the antenna ends are not swinging forward back to the D-box. My tubes rotated a bit, and I need to fix them so I get best possible reception for this configuration."
Mike

The nice thing about the Du-Bro housing tubes is they are plenty stiff to hold their shape. I run them all the way to the rear spar, glue them well with black CA, cut off the excess and done in five minutes. Mine have not shifted since installed.
Dan[/QUOTE]

Yes, good call Dan. I use the etched teflon tubing that was/is used for pushrod housing. Its thin and light, but unless it is straightened, will have a bit of a curve to it....

M
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:52 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,206 Posts
[QUOTE=
Edit: You can make a long antenna to any shorter length just by cutting it and stripping the shield at the right distance (28mm???)[/QUOTE]

Its 31mm on my 6255 receiver.

Back in the 2.4 chronicles there was a source for the antenna wire with the proper connector. They were available in very long sizes. Digikey or Mouser or ? & not too expensive.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:14 PM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfitz View Post
Mike has custom long antennas on his 6255's.

My Airtronics antennas are 210mm long. I position the end of the rx near the wing leading edge and run the antennas all the way to the rear spar. I want the active portion as far away from the carbon D tube as possible. I run my tubes out at 45 degrees which is parallel to the disser pattern.

Reception has been rock solid so far.
Hi Dan,

I'm thinking of possible alternatives to my Spektrum DX7 and AR6255 for my coming CX2s... What Airtronics receiver are you using and did it come stock with the the 210mm antennas? Also, what transmitter do you use?

Many thanks,
Michael.
meiche is online now Find More Posts by meiche
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:57 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
I use the SD10-G and the new 6 channel FHSS-3 receiver. All the Airtronics receivers come stock with the long antennas.

The SD10-G is an insanely good glider radio.
Last edited by danfitz; Jun 18, 2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:03 AM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
Thanks Dan. I think I'll get the same radio and receiver you mention. So no issues fitting that receiver in the CX2 pod?
meiche is online now Find More Posts by meiche
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:19 AM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiche View Post
Thanks Dan. I think I'll get the same radio and receiver you mention. So no issues fitting that receiver in the CX2 pod?
Meiche, there is room to spare with the 6 channel, however I do remove the plastic case and wrap the receiver in clear shrink tubing.
Last edited by danfitz; Jul 11, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,897 Posts
Well, I just have to post an update for those interested in Roland's Concept Gliders, specifically the CX2.

The CX2 was used by a few people in this year's first ever F3K World Champs. Roland Sommer, the designer and manufacturer even competed in the event for team Taiwan. I am sure Roland will share some of his experiences with us when he makes it home and gets a chance to relax a bit. He has been so completely consumed by producing CX2s for guys that would be flying them at the WC's that he hasn't had time to rest in the last few months. Again, he can elaborate.

What I want to mention is that the Concept Extreme 2 was flown exclusively by George Morris, and on two occasions by Joe Wurts the F3K World Champion. Selfishly, it makes me feel good that these guys share my level of commitment to the CX2. As soon as I had an opportunity to fly the CX2, I knew this was a world class glider. Looking back at the results of last week's World Champs, I am satisfied that I was fairly accurate in my assessment.

A really huge congratulations are due the winners of this prestigous contest as well as all those who participated.

Here, in this thread, I would like to formally congratulate Roland Sommer for his knowledge, persistence, expertise, craftsmanship, and commitment to improving the design of the Concept Series DLG gliders. They are top notch in quality, and top notch in performance.

You are THE MAN Roland, congratulations again on the success of your CX2's. We look forward to hearing some of your stories about the effort you made to get planes to customers, and then to get yourself and teammates to the World Champs in Sweden... That is unless your fingers are too sticky to type on the keyboard

Cheers,

Mike Smith
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:05 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Whoa that's a cool looking glider!

Add to cart!!!
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:48 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,607 Posts
Ok as soon as possible I will post Silver with the plane with Roland. It is the only plane that I picked up or flew at the WC Thank you Roland.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,189 Posts
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Ok as soon as possible I will post Silver with the plane with Roland. It is the only plane that I picked up or flew at the WC Thank you Roland.
Just in case someone reading this thread could have possibly missed it:

George Morris Took 2nd Place at the World Championship F3K in Sweden this last week. Brother Charlie was his timer.

That makes as far as anybody can say, Last week George was the overall 2nd best DLG Pilot on the Planet Earth. And that's about as good as it gets.

And Flying his Concepts for the Entire Event.

I'm proud to know the Morris Bros.,

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH