SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:08 AM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
I just got this plane in the mail the other day. She was a very simple build, being ready to fly after about 30 minutes. I originally used CA and kicker to bond the joints, but she broke up midflight after some high G maneuvers. That was my first, and last, time I used CA for a build. 5 minute epoxy is my friend, CA is not. The plane was not heavily damaged in the crash, and I put her back together (properly this time) with some epoxy.

I've owned a HobbyPeople ''Superfly X'', and bananahobby's ''FMS 1280'', both very similar to this one. I like that this bird is a little smaller, it goes in my storage much easier. She is very light, and still manages to feel beefy in the fuselage. I really hate how the battery bay was designed, there is very little room for anything in there. The motor seems to be pretty decent, I pulled about 260 watts and 23 amps with an APC 6x5.5 propeller (barely warm after flight). I also hate the prop-saver design on this plane: why in the hell would I need one of those? This will quickly be traded out for a prop adapter.

I haven't noticed the drastic down pitch others have mentioned. It's there, but minimal compared to other similar styles I've owned. I take off with about 50-75% throttle and a toss at about 30 degrees above the horizon. Ailerons........I'm disappointed. Definitely needs rudder mixing if you want to maneuver around the skies with ease. I will probably extend the ailerons with some DTF (dollar tree foam), they are so wimpy as stock. I will probably remove the polyhedral as others have suggested, but will hold off for now.

Overall, this was a great buy and I am happy. I ordered on a Sunday, and had it in my hands 8 days later. The box was undamaged, as was the plane. For the price, it is an excellent plane and will fit the style that I was looking for. I can stay in the air on one battery while my buddy goes through 3....awesome.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:58 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,890 Posts
Swammy, glad to here you like it - still holds a special spot for me too. Any PU glue will work well with this plane's EPO too. E.g. Gorilla glue etc.
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:20 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
I used the glue that came in the box and it worked great.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:24 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
I used the glue that came in the box and it worked great.
I second the use of using the stock glue.

Be careful with using epoxy, it doesn't stick very well to the AXN foam at all.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:34 AM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
I will recheck my glue joints to make sure they're ok. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:18 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
I just got this plane in the mail the other day. She was a very simple build, being ready to fly after about 30 minutes. I originally used CA and kicker to bond the joints, but she broke up midflight after some high G maneuvers. That was my first, and last, time I used CA for a build. 5 minute epoxy is my friend, CA is not. The plane was not heavily damaged in the crash, and I put her back together (properly this time) with some epoxy.
I used to swear by Epoxy on this type of foam but the THICK CA is MUCH BETTER.
I buy a couple of these at a time as it is very dear if you run out and have to go to the LHS. I use the Extra Thick or GAP Filling.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Glue_1_oz.html

For instant setting I use this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ator_2_oz.html

It is BRILLIANT. I know you are suppose to use thin CA in places but I always use the thick. I just glued a ply engine mount to the foam on a Skywalker X5 that has a heavy motor. The foam will break before the glue lets go.

Sounds like the CA did not stick on the wing rod covers or tailplane. I always put fiberglass tape over the wing rod covers just in case but with thick CA it is not a problem. I put a lot on when I do it and wipe off extra with my finger. It is not recommended when the kicker has just been put on, as it burns badly.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jan 31, 2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:12 PM
The Biscuit is optional
United States, GA, Bulloch
Joined Nov 2012
37 Posts
I just got one of these bad boys. It's built and sitting there, just waiting for the maiden flight tomorrow. I can't wait!

It looks fast just sitting there......
Cathead is offline Find More Posts by Cathead
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:31 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathead View Post
I just got one of these bad boys. It's built and sitting there, just waiting for the maiden flight tomorrow. I can't wait!

It looks fast just sitting there......
Have you flown RC planes before?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:11 PM
United States, CO, Northglenn
Joined Dec 2012
93 Posts
Floater jet in the mail.........

I have spent my new-b time with the wild hawk and was ready for upgrades......By the time i got all the goodies to add ailerons and a brushless power plant, i could just buy the floater. So I did! And it should be hear early next week. This forum helped me make that choice. Thanks for all good info.
banknwank is offline Find More Posts by banknwank
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:10 AM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
My canopy flipped off and my battery fell out of the plane while I was inverted about 400 feet up in the air. I blame myself for not securing the battery better, but that's not the point I want to make. This plane floated and flopped around for the drop, completely without control....and she landed in one piece with no visible damage! I was able to pop on another battery (securing it better this time), and take her up in the air right away.

Lesson learned: secure your batteries better and don't rely solely on the foam to hold it securely in place.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:47 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,889 Posts
I always place a rubber band around my canopy to secure it to the fuse. never had an issue.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:07 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
My canopy flipped off and my battery fell out of the plane while I was inverted about 400 feet up in the air. I blame myself for not securing the battery better, but that's not the point I want to make. This plane floated and flopped around for the drop, completely without control....and she landed in one piece with no visible damage! I was able to pop on another battery (securing it better this time), and take her up in the air right away.

Lesson learned: secure your batteries better and don't rely solely on the foam to hold it securely in place.
Rubber band over canopy and a Velcro strap around the battery. There is a technique described in this thread where you wrap the battery in some cling wrap, put a velcro strap around it (many ways of creating the strap) and hot glue it inside the nose - remove battery when glue is set. Or put some Velcro on floor of batt compartment and attach velcro to battery.
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:25 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,627 Posts
Thanks for that. I had no idea how to attach a strap. New project!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:46 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,400 Posts
I wrap as above, then add a piece of 1/32 ply. Then attach Velcro strap and glue in place with gorilla glue. The strap is then embedded between the ply floor and the foam.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:52 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I wrap as above, then add a piece of 1/32 ply. Then attach Velcro strap and glue in place with gorilla glue. The strap is then embedded between the ply floor and the foam.
I do not like too many battery hold down methods but that is a good one.

But I am still putting sticky tape over the LiPo. One day I'll do it. Too many other things to do.

That gorilla glue works wonders in certain places.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:03 PM.