HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:23 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
620 Posts
Mini-Review
NerdCam3D 3D-FPV camera by The Missing Gear – Test with FatShark DominatorHD goggles.

I had been eager to one day try FPV in 3D, ever since I ran into Captain3D’s 3D FPV thread He was one of the first I ever saw flying 3D FPV. However, the components were not readily available and not easy to setup. I chose to only use cardboard red/blue 3D glasses to view Captain3D’s Youtube 3D videos. Then, while following FatShark’s DominatorHD (FS DomHD) development thread , I became aware of KritzelKratzel’s work on making his own 3D FPV camera from scratch: The NerdCam3D. Since I had already decided I was going to buy FatSharks's latest and greatest goggles, the DominatorHD’s, the next logical acquisition would of course be the NerdCam3D.

So I read all about the camera and was very impressed at the amount of work and detail that KritzelKratzel had put into its development. Also impressive were the strict RF emission standards that electronic components must pass when manufactured and sold in the European Union Lucky for all 3D FPV enthusiasts KritzelKratzel persevered after, as he put it: “failing painfully” on the first attempt to receive RF emissions certification. After a revision to address the RF emission exceedance levels, KritzelKratzel’s NerdCam3D passed all the required tests .

Meantime, the DominatorHD goggles development saga continued and I patiently waited. The NerdCam3D and DomHD were in my eyes a match made in heaven so I went ahead and like many other eager DomHD hopefuls I preordered a set sometime in February. The NerdCam3D was ready for use by early April. Just in time for FS DomHD announced release the same month. Unfortunately, FS encountered component supply delays and had to revise DVR firmwares amongst other product development hiccups.
So to make the wait less painful, I played with the NerdCam3D however I could; flying it on my mini H-quad using 2 VTx’s one for standard FPV camera and another sending the 3D video feed into my RMRC DVR for viewing the recorded flight video in my 3D HDTV.

I also flew it in my larger quad with the RMRC onboard, then I waited, and waited for the release to market of the DomHD’s.

In order to protect the board, I made this full case and had RCG member G-unit 3D-print it for me.

Finally just last week I received my DomHD goggles so I wanted to share my experience pairing the NerdCam3D to FatShark's DominatorHD goggles.
This combo is, as far as I know, one of the easiest and most streamlined setups to fly 3D FPV. All you need is a NerdCam3D and your compatible goggles of choice. I chose to go with the DominatorHD’s. The NerdCam3D is so well designed, it supports both Side by Side and Field Sequential 3D capable goggles.

The NerdCam3D works on 5V. The easiest way to supply its power is to use IRC’s 5V output. So far the 5V regulator on the IRC VTx has been able to cope with the spec’d NerdCam3D 340mA current consumption. I have also used these BEC’s from Banggood with very good results. KritzelKratzel has been very thorough and lists which BEC’s are known to work and has written very clear instruction manual

All you need to receive 3D video is to connect the camera to any standard VTx used for FPV. Installation is quite simple really. Ground, Vcc, and CVBS (video signal).
For a little cooler 3D factor, you can also add the optional ADC4OSD daughter board also designed and developed by KritzelKratzel. It displays useful OSD info in 3D. Voltage (up to 6S –tested) and if you add a Flytron current sensor you can also display instantaneous current draw.

On the DominatorHD's, receiving 3D FPV video link is as easy as pressing down on the left 5-way button to switch to 3D mode. The built-in DomHD DVR records the 3D video feed very well. Check out the sample videos below.

Flying 3D FPV truly adds a new dimension. The “you are there” factor is exponentially heightened. I found myself attempting to look around obstacles by moving my body and head even more than when flying 2D. Surely people must think I’m having spasms or convulsions. I’m definitely hooked on 3D FPV. My next platform will be an R/C truck, terrestrial 3D FPV should be a blast.
If anyone is interested in experiencing 3D FPV, look no further, the NerdCam3D is very well priced over at the EyeFly store If you’re outside the EU it's even better, there’s a 19% VAT deduction so the price is lower 229.00€ x 0.81 = 185.49€ = US$248.47 (last I checked). That prices it competitively with other 3D FPV cameras. The first batch of cameras sold out very fast. KritzelKratzel is currently manufacturing the second batch

Using the camera with the DominatorHD's is so much fun so if anyone in the Los Angeles, California area wants to see what the 3D FPV fuzz is about, I’ll do my best to let you try my setup. I work full time so I fly whenever I can get some free time on weekends. Sometimes I do fly after work in parks near the downtown LA area. PM me and I'll let you know whereabouts I'll be flying.

These are a couple of videos I recorded using the DominatorHD DVR. The live feed looks a lot better, the DVR’s codec introduces artifacts and there’s noticeable loss of quality
This one you can use your Smart cellphone and view it right in front, close to your face, focus straight ahead to infinity, move phone away slowly until you can see 3D effect in the middle portion of screen - you'll also see "ghost" screens on both edges, concentrate on the middle portion. You can also try the same cellphone approach with the 16:9 video above, but you have to move the screen farther away from eyes- about 12 to 20 inches, but you will see 3 screens so you have to focus on middle one more.

NerdCam3D on Mini Quad at Park Bridge and Fountain (1 min 26 sec)

This one has been formatted to be best viewed on a 16:9 HDTV 3D Smart TV.

NerdCam3D FPV Camera Bee Flight (16:9 Smart TV) (0 min 51 sec)
EngineerX is online now Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Sep 02, 2014 at 06:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:26 AM
Joined Sep 2012
620 Posts
I wired the camera using a servo plug, I can easily switch it between my quads

Mounting NerdCam3D to mini quads (1 min 53 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:50 AM
Joined Sep 2012
620 Posts
Another video showing the ADC4OSD 3D OSD extension board, I didn't have the current sensor installed so the current shows 0A.

NerdCam3D Park Flight with 3D OSD (8 min 4 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Aug 13, 2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:31 AM
Joined Sep 2012
620 Posts
This thread is mainly about the NerdCam3D, but I thought I would mention a little about the DomHD goggles so anyone looking to get the combo can get an idea of what my experience has been.

The new and much awaited FatShark DominatorHD goggles work flawlessly with the NerdCam3D. The 3D camera processor merges the two video camera signals into a standard signal any wireless video transmitter can use. The DomHD goggles receive the signal via any standard VRx (internal or external work just the same) process it, splitting to the left and right LCD screens. There's some very smart circuitry doing all that magic in both the NerdCam3D and the DomHD's.

The live video feed on the goggles looks much better than the degraded and processed videos uploaded to Youtube. The DomHD DVR works great but inevitably there are losses in video quality when recorded by the DVR, Nothing wrong with the DVR, My RMRC DVR (very similar to the Japan DVR) also introduces losses in video quality. Youtube encoding further butchers the video. Still, one can get a good feeling for what it's like to fly 3D FPV.

For my vision, the DomHD goggles are sensitive to alignment in my face. So I added a LED headlight headstrap and a bit of foam in between the eyecups to help maintain goggles in place and make them more comfortable for my use. My vision is a little off, it's been 14 years since I had Laser eye surgery and I know I have a little imbalance in my eyes so that probably contributes to not being able to completely focus screens on the edges, so I get a little blurriness on the edges. The blurriness however is not really noticeable when flying and the large FOV is just outstanding. My other goggles are Dom V1's so it's a noticeable increase in screen realstate. All in all, the Pros outweigh the Cons and the 3D capabilities of the goggles are just so much fun.

Here's the headstrap mod - You'll get "helmet hair" .... oh well, function over hairdo...

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Aug 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:02 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,023 Posts
Excellent review/write up! Thanks for posting this. Now I'm actually even MORE interested in 3D FPV! Lol.

Now the waiting game begins, to see how long it will take for FS to start shipping big batches of the DomHDs to vendors so they are actually available...
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:56 AM
Joined Sep 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
Excellent review/write up! Thanks for posting this. Now I'm actually even MORE interested in 3D FPV! Lol.

Now the waiting game begins, to see how long it will take for FS to start shipping big batches of the DomHDs to vendors so they are actually available...
Thank you!
Hopefully FS ramps up production, there's got to be at least 500 units on back order just in 3 of the big "powersellers" GetFPV, RMRC, and HKing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:19 AM
United States, IL, Wheaton
Joined Feb 2013
278 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I've got my NC3D ready and waiting for DomHD. I powered my setup up but I have no way to test if it's all working. All I have is DomV1 at the moment.
rudygon is offline Find More Posts by rudygon
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:32 PM
Still flying a desk..
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Sep 2001
1,894 Posts
I've been using a NC3D with a standard set of Cinemizer's (the plus version not the OLED).
I use a Pocket DVR from Firstpersonview.co.uk. (It's the same as the RMRC /foxtech DVR) to record my footage.
Like you, I get the same issue with trying to convey how good the live experience is compared to what you see on you tube.

I would like to try the HD Doms but one of my eyes is aging quicker than the other one. So far cinemizers are the only goggles that I've been 100% happy with.

I've had a lot of fun finding new things to explore in 3D.
The camera has held up nicely in all sorts of lighting conditions. I like the fact that you can set the auto exposure window to the lower half of the screen. This is particularly useful in the evening because the ground doesn't suddenly go dark when you get into a turn with the sun low in the sky
3D is awesome!
ChilternFlyer is offline Find More Posts by ChilternFlyer
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilternFlyer View Post
I've been using a NC3D with a standard set of Cinemizer's (the plus version not the OLED).
I use a Pocket DVR from Firstpersonview.co.uk. (It's the same as the RMRC /foxtech DVR) to record my footage.
Like you, I get the same issue with trying to convey how good the live experience is compared to what you see on you tube.

I would like to try the HD Doms but one of my eyes is aging quicker than the other one. So far cinemizers are the only goggles that I've been 100% happy with.

I've had a lot of fun finding new things to explore in 3D.
The camera has held up nicely in all sorts of lighting conditions. I like the fact that you can set the auto exposure window to the lower half of the screen. This is particularly useful in the evening because the ground doesn't suddenly go dark when you get into a turn with the sun low in the sky
3D is awesome!
Yes, it's troublesome to age and not have crisp vision
Eventually, I'll have to do a 2nd Laser eye surgery, the first one has served me well for 14 years.

Thanks for mentioning the auto exposure setting options. I didn't mention it in my review and it's quite useful as you say when flying in low light conditions. I was actually thinking of using a Rx-controlled switch to source ground when activated so I can cycle back and forth between the two auto exposure settings via a RC Tx switch. The switch is only about 8g and was very cheap. Of course it's almost always out of stock.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2014, 03:30 PM
Joined Sep 2012
620 Posts
DomHD DVR recording in native format

Here's a NerdCam3D 3D-FPV DomHD DVR video file in native format. You can copy it to a microSD memory card and play it back on the DomHD. Unfortunately, FS did not disabled the DVR OSD, it gets in the way a bit. Hopefully they'll do a firmware update.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmzc7eklg4...T0008.AVI?dl=0
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2014, 03:55 PM
Still flying a desk..
Joined Sep 2001
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerX View Post
Yes, it's troublesome to age and not have crisp vision
Eventually, I'll have to do a 2nd Laser eye surgery, the first one has served me well for 14 years.

Thanks for mentioning the auto exposure setting options. I didn't mention it in my review and it's quite useful as you say when flying in low light conditions. I was actually thinking of using a Rx-controlled switch to source ground when activated so I can cycle back and forth between the two auto exposure settings via a RC Tx switch. The switch is only about 8g and was very cheap. Of course it's almost always out of stock.
Rx switch: Good idea. I should try that to see what difference it makes
You should be able to use the circuit board from a broken servo for that.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:11 AM
Joined Feb 2013
278 Posts
Did my first FPV flight with the Nerdcam3D and dominator HD
Very cool experience. Found it easier to navigate in close range. Lots of static I. The video. May be due to the components being so close. Not sure. I did not notice it as much during flight. I'll look into it and see if I can shield a fee things. Video on the goggles looks better than the log recording. Added some more color and contrast to the video. Will try to hot the playground tomorrow.
FPV flight in 3D with trucks (2 min 35 sec)
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409289029.887317.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 418.9 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409289042.619027.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 169.4 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409289092.782400.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 366.6 KB
Description:
Old Aug 29, 2014, 02:59 AM
Still flying a desk..
Joined Sep 2001
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudygon View Post
Very cool experience. Found it easier to navigate in close range. Lots of static I. The video. May be due to the components being so close. Not sure. I did not notice it as much during flight. I'll look into it and see if I can shield a fee things. Video on the goggles looks better than the log recording. Added some more color and contrast to the video. Will try to hot the playground tomorrow. http://youtu.be/FE7hGTGTDZ0Attachment 7055886Attachment 7055887Attachment 7055891
Bluesky micro quad??
I've got one on those. I'd never have thought that it could carry that much weight.
What motors and battery are you using?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 03:30 AM
Joined Feb 2013
278 Posts
The Missing Gear – NerdCam3D 3D-FPV camera – Test with FatShark DominatorHD g...

1118 1900kv motors
1000amh 3S batt.
Last edited by rudygon; Aug 29, 2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: text ad
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilternFlyer View Post
Rx switch: Good idea. I should try that to see what difference it makes
You should be able to use the circuit board from a broken servo for that.
Never thought about that! I'll have to fiddle with a servo board and test with multimeter and see if the servo motor outputs could be used to source ground. That would be a cheap R/C switch of sorts- Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudygon View Post
Very cool experience. Found it easier to navigate in close range. Lots of static I. The video. May be due to the components being so close. Not sure. I did not notice it as much during flight. I'll look into it and see if I can shield a fee things. Video on the goggles looks better than the log recording. Added some more color and contrast to the video. Will try to hot the playground tomorrow.
Nice! You got your DomHD's finally - how well can you focus? Everything clear -no blurr near edges? Due to my vision I get some blurriness and I have to keep goggles from shifting.
Thanks for posting your experience. Always nice to see all the different setups people use. That small copter flies really well with all that weight.

I also had something similar, noisy recorded video but I didn't notice it on the goggles while flying. Just make sure you have good common ground to camera and VTx. In these small copters everything is so close, sometimes electronics are not nice neighbors.

On my DomHD's sometimes when I record I get "out of phase" video - don't know if that's the correct term- the video is shifted up and the top of the screen is at the bottom but it's scrambled. It happens every now and then, annoying because I won't notice until I play back the recordings. It's a DomHD DVR issue.
RCG Plus Member