SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:03 AM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Gent
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Help!
Turnigy 9x: Using 3-position switch for motor & throttle stick for flaps...

As the title says: Does anyone know if it's possible to:
  1. Use the 3-position switch on the Turnigy 9x radio to operate the throttle? (Say 50% for centre poition and 100% for lower.)
  2. And as a result be able to use the throttle stick to operate the flaps?

All of this would need to be done using the stock firmware.

I can't figure it out and haven't been able to find any info on it anywhere.
Prophex is offline Find More Posts by Prophex
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:55 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,265 Posts
Sorry I don't know about 9x but switch for throttle is a good idea. However I would suggest 2 position and momentary or sprung switch not 3 position. 50% or any partial throttle gives more work for esc and inefficiency. With high power this can be dangerous and even long motor runs risk is increased, you will produce heat at esc due to increasesed switching.
I fly all my gliders switch and crow on stick, it is a comfortable set up. There must be a 9x thread, perhaps ask there, good luck
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,604 Posts
I agree with mustflynow2 but for slightly different reasons, Prophex. I hope I can describe this correctly.

With the stock 9x firmware the 3 position switch is used to define mixes rather than simply be another channel. Rather than simply assigning a function one uses a series of "if/then" conditions. One can program it so that: if the switch is on the throttle is off, if the switch is neutral the throttle is half, and if the switch is off throttle is full but it's terribly cumbersome. One can much more easily assign a two-position switch or a knob to be the on/off switch for the motor or a throttle. Personally, I use the three-position switch for assigning flight modes. "Off", which is the top position, is reflex, neutral is neutral, and "on", which is down, is camber.

This is the main reason I will eventually get the programming card and update the firmware for my 9x. I was able to get the settings I wanted after several hours of head-scratching but I wasn't able to duplicate my efforts when I went to program a new glider. I was able to copy them and then fine tune the throws but I still couldn't describe exactly how I did it to save my life. Just thinking about it makes my brain hurt a bit!

The 9x is very versatile and, arguably, the best $75.00 I've spent in over 40 years of R/C but the programming is "clunky" at best and one just has to adapt.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:29 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
572 Posts
I've got a 9XR, which is only superficially different from the 9X. It's entirely possible to do what you're saying using the stock firmware.

What part are you having trouble with? Programming the 3-position switch? Or setting up the throttle stick to operate flaps?

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:16 AM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Ok, so the reason I wanted to use the 3-position switch for throttle is because the flying field at my local club is fairly small and surrounded by corn in summer. So it does happen alot that I have to use the motor to make a proper approach. And going full power might be overkill.

Putting the motor on say the throttle kill would be easy, so taking your advice I'll do that for now.

But that leaves using the throttle stick for the flaps. What would be the settings for that, then? (I currently use the 3-position switch. Upper position = no flaps; middle position = flaps at 50%; lower position = flaps at 100% + flying in a crow setup with ailerons up. I didn't need to mix any elevator in.) So I'm looking to use the throttle stick to go from normal to full crow.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:45 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
572 Posts
Depends on how you have your flaps set up.

If you have them set up so the servo can only move them down, you should be able to use the throttle stick as an input, and send it directly to the flaps. Depending on how the servos are installed, both may be set to 100%, both may be set to -100%, or it may be a mix of the two. Some experimentation here will answer that question.

If you have them set up so the servo can move the flaps up as well as down (typical if you're set up for a full trailing edge aileron), you can set up the same kind of mix as above, but use a curve. The stock curve goes from -100% to 100% (or the other way 'round... I don't have my radio in front of me.) Assign a curve to this mix and make the curve go from 0% to 100%. That way over the entire throw of the stick the flap will only move in one direction.

This is how I set up my ailerons, too. Same curve as above. As you pull back on the stick you only want the ailerons to go up, so use the 0% to 100% curve and mix it in either -100% or 100%, depending on which one makes the aileron go the direction you want.

Let me know if that helps. If not, I can take more careful notes of my radio and post something with more detail.

For what it's worth, I set my radio up a little differently to do what you're describing. One of my other planes is a Le Fish, which I set up for 4-axis flying: the throttle stick controls the camber of the wing. To do this, though, I needed the throttle stick to spring to center. Center = neutral, up = reflex, down = camber. Let go of the stick and the wing returns to neutral.

I use the same radio on other planes, though. I set the upper range of the stick to be throttle (push up to go faster). Let go of the stick and the motor stops (what I want for a motor glider). Pull down on the stick for variable crow braking. It takes some getting used to, but it gives you variable throttle and variable brakes on the same stick. I wouldn't use this in a traditional power plane since you want to be able to set the throttle for a given climb rate and forget about it. But for a motor glider the motor is typically used as a launch device or, like you said, for fine-tuning a landing in a small field. This isn't a bad setup for that. But like I said it takes some getting used to. (What do you call a radio that has two sticks that spring to center? Mode 0?)

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:53 AM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
I'll try it out at the club this weekend and let you know.

Thanks for all the help so far btw!