HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2014, 01:07 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,196 Posts
Exf
Hope your 40% project comes together sooner than later!

My only regret is not jumping into BASIC last year.

Fly racer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:01 AM
Joined Oct 2011
349 Posts
Fly, the Extra will be maidened early next week. A club member gave me a deal on some Hitec 7955 servos I could not pass on. Just waiting for servo arms to show up. I printed an advanced sequence and will start practicing as soon as the airplane is trimmed well enough to do so. Usually takes me about 50 flights or so to get an airplane really dialed in to the sequence. Really looking forward to flying at this level again.
exf3bguy is online now Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:15 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
875 Posts
A 50cc is fine in sportsman. Intermediate thou...ya really need a Carden to be competitive. Most every one in my district in intermediate is flying one. I've heard the statement many times that is doesnt matter what your flying as long as your flying it well. BS. A 30 or 40 percent plane is just going to present better.
tele1974 is online now Find More Posts by tele1974
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:50 AM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,196 Posts
no arguement there! i just got back from the IMAC event in Miramar CA... there were a couple of 40% CARF and Cardens in the BASIC bracket and yes they just track and present better than a 50cc or 100cc airframe.

Flyracer
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:33 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
no arguement there! i just got back from the IMAC event in Miramar CA... there were a couple of 40% CARF and Cardens in the BASIC bracket and yes they just track and present better than a 50cc or 100cc airframe.

Flyracer
Wow, IMAC can be expensive. I'll stick to F3A for a while....lol
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Aug 28, 2014, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2011
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
Wow, IMAC can be expensive. I'll stick to F3A for a while....lol
It can be if that's what you want. If you are just coming in you would be fine for a few years with a 50cc airplane. Yes the larger airplanes present better IF the pilot knows what he is doing with it. You don't have to spend 5K to be competitive. A couple years ago I took a 3rd place in unlimited flying a DA50 powered Laser. A design over 20 years old. It was built light, trimmed well and most importantly I had lots of practice time with it. A decent IMAC airplane IMO costs no more then an equally equipped 2M F3A airplane.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 07:33 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
Used RTF 40% planes are available quite affordably, it that's what someone wants.

If you're flying for fun, it doesn't matter what you're flying. We have a guy that shows up with his 36" foam MX2 and just has an absolute blast.

And if you fly it right, it doesn't matter what size the plane is. I remember a contest in Las Vegas with a 15 pilot Basic class. It was also a windy contest. The winner was flying a 54" electric plane. He flew the better than all the big gas planes

I remember a Basic/Sportsman Workshop a few years ago. All the participants just brought what they had to fly. There were 14 pilots in the Basic class. A guy that really listened and worked hard placed 7th out of the 14 pilots. He was flying a .40 glow sized fun fly plane. You know the really short planes with very thick airfoils that can do 150 loops in one minute? He met the criteria better than the 8th through 14th place pilots with bigger planes.

Understanding the deductions and practicing to remove those deductions is how your scores improve. Having a smoother flying plane makes it easier to stay on a straight line, but the pilot is the huge difference in how well someone places in a contest.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Old Aug 29, 2014, 07:45 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
Quote:

Flyracer
This thread asks, "What planes are winning?"

Basic
1 - pattern plane
2 - CARF-Models
3 - Dalton

Sportsman
1 - Jtec Radiowave
2 - Aerotech
3 - Carden

Intermediate
1 - Hangar 9
2 - ZN Line

Advanced
1 - CARF-Models
2 - CARF-Models
3 - Carden

Unlimited
1 - Dalton
2 - Carden

This is just from memory, but it's clear the planes aren't winning. The pilot's skill is winning.

Carden didn't win a single class.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Last edited by Dean Bird; Sep 08, 2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:59 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,196 Posts
guess when you consider the pattern guy who entered into BASIC should probably have been in INTERMEDIATE....yes SKILLS do play a factor in winning ;-)
Last edited by flyracer; Sep 04, 2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:57 AM
the next Sean Tucker
Sackatomatoes, CA
Joined Apr 2009
67 Posts
re-read

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Did you intend that that class would be affordable? Boy, that's pretty rich affordable. Four cylinder engines are way more expensive than the total outlay of a couple hundred bucks I was advocating for.
I had to read that twice, hehe. I was talking about full-scale aerobatics with your own butt in the airplane. Four cylinder engines are not the norm in IAC aerobatics anymore. Now it's about composite monoplanes and 300+ HP. While I haven't competed in IMAC I can't help but see a similar trend there with guys spending more on their model than I spent getting my pilots license. And...I'm not THAT old.
Pittsaholic is offline Find More Posts by Pittsaholic
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsaholic View Post
I had to read that twice, hehe. I was talking about full-scale aerobatics with your own butt in the airplane. Four cylinder engines are not the norm in IAC aerobatics anymore. Now it's about composite monoplanes and 300+ HP. While I haven't competed in IMAC I can't help but see a similar trend there with guys spending more on their model than I spent getting my pilots license. And...I'm not THAT old.
Yes, you are correct that at any given IMAC contest that some of the airplanes are quite expensive. It need not be that way though, at least until you get above sportsman. Have you looked around a pattern, pylon or scale contest lately? You will find the same thing.

For those who want to give IMAC a try don't be intimidated by the 35% and 40% airplanes. With a well built and flight trimmed 30cc or 50cc airplane you can be competitive in Basic and sportsman provided you put in the practice time.
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,196 Posts
I agree with Exf3Dguy.... fly against yourself, make new friends, break bread and do some drinking with your new friends after the contests!
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
539 Posts
Quote:
I agree with Exf3Dguy.... fly against yourself, make new friends, break bread and do some drinking with your new friends after the contests!
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G