SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Does anyone have a spare right wing in red/blue/yellow they're looking to get rid of?
94'325is is offline Find More Posts by 94'325is
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Is that with the A60-6XS?
Yes

A60-6XS
Hitec 5565MH x3
Hitec 7245MH x2
Castle BEC pro
Castle ICE 100

The ICE 100 failed and has been sent back to Castle so now I have a Hobbywing 100A in there so I lost at least an ounce off that weight.

Only slighly heavier than the Velox with a much wider fuse. Identical wings in length (I put them up against each other) with the extra having slightly more depth at the wing root. This is probably a decent combination with a DLE-20 or the Mintor 22, or what I really want to read about, the new O.S. GT22.
Enterprise7 is online now Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise7 View Post

The ICE 100 failed and has been sent back to Castle so now I have a Hobbywing 100A in there so I lost at least an ounce off that weight.

Only slighly heavier than the Velox with a much wider fuse. Identical wings in length (I put them up against each other) with the extra having slightly more depth at the wing root. This is probably a decent combination with a DLE-20 or the Mintor 22, or what I really want to read about, the new O.S. GT22.
I'm curious about the Ice... was it an Ice2, and if so, did it fail on the new A60?
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined May 2004
450 Posts
does the kit come with all hardware (pushrods, pull-pull, tailwheel assembly, etc?). how about the graphics?

thanks!
bmoney69 is offline Find More Posts by bmoney69
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:49 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Yep yep yep!!!
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:02 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney69 View Post
does the kit come with all hardware (pushrods, pull-pull, tailwheel assembly, etc?). how about the graphics?

thanks!
heck yea man press order
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
Flarpy
Kitsap County
Joined Nov 2010
761 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347980059.195840.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 246.2 KB
Description:
It's over for the clown.
Time to order another... I'm changing my name to "dumb thumb"
flarpy is offline Find More Posts by flarpy
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:36 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
I'm curious about the Ice... was it an Ice2, and if so, did it fail on the new A60?
I was a ICE 100. The V2s are just for the HVs I think. Yes it was with the A60-6XS. I think the package from castle shows up tomorrow so I'll see if they sent me a new one, or just fixed it. Moral of the story is don't use brake on the A60 until someone else comes up with the proper settings.
Enterprise7 is online now Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:02 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,402 Posts
You are correct Enterprise, they do not make the ICE 100 in a V2... to date, I do not think there has been any recalls on the ICE 100.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:35 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
You are correct Enterprise, they do not make the ICE 100 in a V2... to date, I do not think there has been any recalls on the ICE 100.
Yeah, I see it now... it is the HV ESC's that are now designated as Ice2, but it doesn't have anything to do with the Amps rating. There are Ice2 HV40's, 60's, and 80's too, so it has to do with the volts potential, not Amps, or so it seems.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined May 2004
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
heck yea man press order
done!......ok, i'm sure this information is in here somewhere, i have been reading. however, this is my first high voltage electric and i have some basic questions.

my questing is regarding BEC. i'm sure this will cause a debate, but i'm only looking for my options, because i'm not sure i understand what they all are.

i'm seeing that some people are running a separate BEC and some are not running any (but with a separate reciever pack). i see that you can get the ESC with and without a BEC......i don't see anyone running the ESC with the built in BEC. why is that? the servo load too much for the built in BEC? i assume that a BEC is not required if running a separate RX pack (although it seems that most are doing just that)? is that because the separate BEC will regulate the Voltage to the servos? sorry, i know that's a lot of questions.....just trying to get my head around all the options before i make a decision.

thanks!

Bill
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:02 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,632 Posts
Quote:
i'm seeing that some people are running a separate BEC and some are not running any (but with a separate reciever pack). ]i see that you can get the ESC with and without a BEC......i don't see anyone running the ESC with the built in BEC. why is that?
I don't know of any HV ESC's with internal BEC's. If you are going to run this plane on 6S, you can set it up just like the 60 EXPs. If you are going over 6S, you'll need to consider a direct battery connection to the Rx, a 6v BEC, or a HV BEC/Regualtor to power the Rx and servos.

Quote:
i assume that a BEC is not required if running a separate RX pack (although it seems that most are doing just that)?
I use a 6v external UBEC on almost all of my planes to this size, then a Rx that already has redundant ports for connecting A123 batteries directly to the Rx when going bigger. Or you can use a BEC/regulator, like the two Castle offers, to attach 2S or 3S Lipos if you have HV servos that can handle the extra juice.

It's really about your servo requirements. If they are not HV, then a 2S 6.6v A123 battery (LiFePO4) plugged directly into the Rx works great for 6v servos. Any LiPo setup for HV servos will require a BEC and/or BEC/Regulator between the battery and the Rx.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:15 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,632 Posts
If you are going with 6S, the $17 Motrolfly U-BEC works great right off your main power battery. Deans are already attached, so it's plug and play... bottom of this page:

http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_ESC.html

If you are going more than 6S, this Pro version work great and can pull right off your main battery packs too, or feed a separate battery to it.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

Or if 6v is enough for your servos, then you can plug this, or any equivalent, right into your Rx:

http://www.shop.kavarootusa.com/prod...&categoryId=10

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-life-1c-1100-2s1p.html

No internal BEC is needed in these cases.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined May 2004
450 Posts
great!.....thanks, that's great info. if i opted to go the route of a separate RX batt like the A123 at 6v what does the wiring diagram look like? the ESC plugs to the thr and the RX batt plugs to the batt port (or thru a switch if wanted)?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:47 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,632 Posts
Quote:
great!.....thanks, that's great info. if i opted to go the route of a separate RX batt like the A123 at 6v what does the wiring diagram look like? the ESC plugs to the thr and the RX batt plugs to the batt port (or thru a switch if wanted)?
If you are just going to go with the LiFePO4 A123 right to the Rx, you can do it two ways. You can put a short extension into the Rx, and then plug and unplug the battery into the extension to keep from fumbling around with the Rx port, or you can run a switch on the fuselage to both. I posted a pic on one of the EF threads that showed my JR switch with a charging port with a gate that opened and closed to keep the port pins clean but it will add some unneeded weight.

One switch wire went to the Rx and stayed there, and the other wire went to my battery. I used the switch to turn the Rx on and off, to connect my volt meter to, so I could monitor the voltage, and to connect the charger to at the field so I didn't have to take the battery out. The stable chemistry of the A123 means that I wasn't as hesitant to charge it in the plane like I would a Lipo. But again, the weight may or may not make this worthwhile. They do make pin ports without the switch or gate too, and they are lighter. Being able to check and charge at the field is not a bad thing.
RCG Plus Member