SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2014, 05:35 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
175 Posts
Discussion
How do you store lipos

hi guys,
Was in the hot garage today, and was thinking how do you guys store your lipos?

I just have them in lipo bags sitting on the shelf in the garage. it gets pretty hot in there, so is that safe?

was thinking maybe getting a metal toolbox to keep them in.

inferno6688 is offline Find More Posts by inferno6688
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2014, 08:29 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
924 Posts
I got an old casserole dish from the second hand store, stored on a metal shelf away from combustibles. If they go up hopefully the dish and lid will contain the initial flash.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Dec 30, 2014, 09:05 AM
Blurry Iriot
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Sep 2013
246 Posts
I keep mine in a steel ammunition box with the lid ajar on slate well ventilated
Benagen is offline Find More Posts by Benagen
Old Dec 30, 2014, 06:22 PM
Not a Bobcat Driver
Joined Apr 2014
39 Posts
I keep mine in a bar fridge set to its "warmest" setting. My shed gets a bit warm in summer !
MarkB58 is offline Find More Posts by MarkB58
Old Dec 30, 2014, 06:58 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
2,289 Posts
I have an old stainless steel double door bar fridge.
Costs a fortune to run so I just leave it off.
But because it is so well insulated the temperature inside remains fairly constant.
And being stainless throughout it would be reasonably, but not totally, fireproof.

An old oven may be a good alternative.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Dec 30, 2014, 07:47 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,912 Posts
Mine are on tables, shelves, the floor, near windows and all over the place in my garage.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Dec 31, 2014, 04:28 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benagen View Post
I keep mine in a steel ammunition box with the lid ajar on slate well ventilated
Whats the point of having it in an ammo box if you're going to have the lid open?

These things are DESIGNED to stop blasts from spreading in a magazine.

I use mine with the lid firmly closed, and if one of my lipos should go off in there, I know that it will burn out, fast, and stay sealed.

Here's a good tip if you want to use them though, don't forget they're steel, and there's a chance that you could create a short if you have packs in there without any insulating material. I use rubber matting, spray glued to the inside to make sure there are no metal bits showing on the inside.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:04 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,228 Posts
Maybe I missed something, but can someone point me at instances of LiPos spontaneously combusting when not connected to anything? I have only read of fires where they were either being charged or discharged.
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Dec 31, 2014, 06:39 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
1,044 Posts
I use Ammo boxes with 4 holes drilled in the lid to store,charge & transport mine. I'd rather a few flames leaping straight up than a bomb hence the holes in the lid.

No fires yet but have had to transport a couple home after being quite badly damaged in a 1 point landing. I'm much more comfortable knowing I can just grab it & throw it a safe distance away if needed rather than trying to put a fire out in the car.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Dec 31, 2014, 04:38 PM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Australia, SA, Modbury North
Joined Feb 2012
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Mine are on tables, shelves, the floor, near windows and all over the place in my garage.
When I'm too lazy to put them away in their usual place (which is just an open plastic box) I'm pretty much the same. As long as they are at storage charge, the odds of something going wrong are so markedly slim. Probably a higher chance of aliens visiting.

I've had one lipo blow up on me before, due to careless charging practices at the Swan Hill fly in 2 years ago. Still, that was plain carelessness. Something I no longer do when charging. Not enough to scare me into some of the solutions people use in the battery section of the forum. Some people take it waaaaay to far as well. Like storing in an ammo box, with a layer of plastic above restraining a few kg of sand so that in the even of a fire the plastic will melt and the sand will douse the flames. This whole enchilada is placed inside a safe, in their bomb shelter. I read that and nearly wet myself laughing!
LooseSox is offline Find More Posts by LooseSox
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:43 PM
Just having fun
Australia, SA, Paradise
Joined Feb 2013
1,732 Posts
I guess if they are good enough to be packaged in plastic bags, small cardboard boxes, or sitting in a glass display cabinet hanging out with other batteries and stuff that is much more expensive within close proximity, in a shop full of other expensive stuff then having them sitting on a bench is fine.

You would think that the retailer would do something about it if they were such a huge risk. Having said that, I'm not saying stuff dosen't happen but like ts says, most times the accidents seem to happen during the charging phase.

oldschoolhg is offline Find More Posts by oldschoolhg
Last edited by oldschoolhg; Dec 31, 2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 06:37 PM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Sep 2011
941 Posts
"most times the accidents seem to happen during the charging phase."

or the crashing stage
golf_lake is offline Find More Posts by golf_lake
Old Jan 03, 2015, 07:31 PM
Joined Mar 2014
71 Posts
Surely if something ignites inside an environmentally sealed ammo box, the fire will use up the small amount of oxygen very quickly and the fire will go out. If you drill holes in it or don't seal the lid down, you have created a mini barbeque.

I store mine at around 30 to 40% charge in sealed ammo boxes on a concrete floor in a cool garage.
Axle Jack is offline Find More Posts by Axle Jack
Old Jan 03, 2015, 07:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle Jack View Post
Surely if something ignites inside an environmentally sealed ammo box, the fire will use up the small amount of oxygen very quickly and the fire will go out. If you drill holes in it or don't seal the lid down, you have created a mini barbeque.

I store mine at around 30 to 40% charge in sealed ammo boxes on a concrete floor in a cool garage.
As much as that sounds sensible they will actually explode if you have no venting holes. Most people remove the seals or drill vent holes when using ammo boxes for storage

Saying that, your storage option sounds pretty safe
ztied is offline Find More Posts by ztied
Old Jan 03, 2015, 08:41 PM
Blurry Iriot
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Sep 2013
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Whats the point of having it in an ammo box if you're going to have the lid open?

These things are DESIGNED to stop blasts from spreading in a magazine.

I use mine with the lid firmly closed, and if one of my lipos should go off in there, I know that it will burn out, fast, and stay sealed.

Here's a good tip if you want to use them though, don't forget they're steel, and there's a chance that you could create a short if you have packs in there without any insulating material. I use rubber matting, spray glued to the inside to make sure there are no metal bits showing on the inside.
Given i keep about ten kilos of lipos in the box i figured that if one goes off and sets off the others the box would not be internally pressurized. Not so much for risk of the box rupturing, rather Im just not keen on taking the lid off a steel box with 50 PSI under the lid
Benagen is offline Find More Posts by Benagen