HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2014, 04:59 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,466 Posts
Build Log
Vought V-173 and XF5U (plans added)

One of my favorites. Hopefully this will be a pretty straightforward build. Power will be from two CL-0720-14's from Micro Motor Warehouse, running on a DT receiver. Now that I've got the bulk of the detailed drawings done, If it flies nicely, I'll make a vacuum formed cockpit, and do more shaping on the LE. It's about 12in long, and should come in right at an ounce

It took a while to figure out the tailerons. I ended up using heatshrink as the "bearing" tube, secured with other bits of head shrink, shrunk into place. Ball links off of a discarded micro heli made the linkage geometry easier.

-Adam
AJWoods is offline Find More Posts by AJWoods
Last edited by AJWoods; Dec 19, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 06:33 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,488 Posts
Cute Adam. Look forward to the flight videos!
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:11 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
670 Posts
I also had built profile version of the flapjack with two N20 motors and two counter rotating props. My control configuration was same as yours with full elevons. I flew around backyard couple of times. It flew rather fast but motors were not powerful enough to maintain high alpha attitude. It will be an interesting model to watch.
I have no doubt your build will be a successful one.
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Old Dec 13, 2014, 02:52 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,355 Posts
You said you're using a DT Rx. If it is one of David's receivers that offers differential motor thrust, give that a try, then relegate the tailerons to elevators or junk tht approach and cut in the elevator the real one had at the aft end of the fuse. Of course, that requires contra-rotating props, so I'll be using the ones I'm going to rob from my Mosquito.

That's the approach I have planned for mine if I ever get by behind in gear!! I will be flying a 12" or so version in a small one court gym, so tight turns are a must!!

However way you go, good luck and keep us apprised!
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Dec 13, 2014, 06:09 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
You said you're using a DT Rx. If it is one of David's receivers that offers differential motor thrust, give that a try, then relegate the tailerons to elevators or junk tht approach and cut in the elevator the real one had at the aft end of the fuse. Of course, that requires contra-rotating props, so I'll be using the ones I'm going to rob from my Mosquito.

That's the approach I have planned for mine if I ever get by behind in gear!! I will be flying a 12" or so version in a small one court gym, so tight turns are a must!!

However way you go, good luck and keep us apprised!
I thought about doing just diff thrust and the beaver tail for simplicity. The DT rx does support twin steer, so I'll see how well that approach works out. Usually with these stubby planes, there's enough dihedral effect that ailerons aren't necessary.

-A
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:48 AM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
530 Posts
Good luck with the Vought Adam. Your approach is much neater than the one I took to the XF5U-1: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=flapjack
I had to revert to rudder/elevator control after finding that an elevon approach was ineffective. Things went well for a while but bugs returned at our last indoor meeting and turns were a problem again. I believe that differential thrust would be worth a try.
Peter
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Dec 14, 2014, 01:38 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,466 Posts
Got it finished up this evening. 35g with a 150mAh cell. Couldn't resist doing a few test hops in the hallway. The elevons and differential thrust are definitely effective. I think the scale verticals are a bit too small. At higher angles it gets a bit of a tail wag, which is pretty typical on these low AR planforms, when the stabs get blanketed. I'll give it a go outside tomorrow, may end up making 10-15% larger verticals.

-A
Old Dec 14, 2014, 01:39 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mack View Post
Good luck with the Vought Adam. Your approach is much neater than the one I took to the XF5U-1: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=flapjack
I had to revert to rudder/elevator control after finding that an elevon approach was ineffective. Things went well for a while but bugs returned at our last indoor meeting and turns were a problem again. I believe that differential thrust would be worth a try.
Peter
Your XF5U looked like it flew well. I'll let you know how the diff thrust works out.

-A
Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:14 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,488 Posts
Funny as soon as I saw it I assumed you would go DT like on your SR71. That's next in my queue by the way.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Dec 14, 2014, 06:38 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,466 Posts
It flies:

Micro Vought V-173 Maiden (1 min 42 sec)

Really really like how it turned out. I ended up making the verticals about 10% larger and that seemed to cure the waggle. It can be flown either just tailerons, or just diff thrust/elevator, so I think anybody who tries one would be safe either way. I'll put the gear on tonight, and try some ROG stuff tomorrow morning before the winds pick up.

This is almost my new favorite in my 7mm twin series. Not quite as wild as the F-117, but very smooth and relaxing to fly. I'll clean up the drawings and post the files soon. Should be a pretty easy build for those who are interested.

-A
Old Dec 14, 2014, 06:47 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
Funny as soon as I saw it I assumed you would go DT like on your SR71. That's next in my queue by the way.
Awesome. Let me know if you've got any questions
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:07 PM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
530 Posts
Congratulations Adam. You Vought looks great and flies beautifully. You've encouraged me to give mine another try. I originally used 7mm motors but flight was marginal as the AUW was close to a hefty 50gm, so I substituted the 8mm ex quad motors. Plenty of power now .
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:08 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,466 Posts
Thanks! BTW the hottest 7mm motors I've found so far are from Micro Motor Warehouse: http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col...cts/cl-0720-14

They'll do about 25g thrust each with the hubsan X4 props.

-A
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:42 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
670 Posts
I noticed two different propellers are used in the pictures and video.
Are those 3 bladed propellers from UM B-17?
Video shows 2 bladed props.
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:55 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingjingjing View Post
I noticed two different propellers are used in the pictures and video.
Are those 3 bladed propellers from UM B-17?
Video shows 2 bladed props.
Good eye. I just used some 3 blades from the UM mosquito for the photos, but the 2 blade hubsan props for flight. Since the props are such a big part of the visuals of the model I may swap in some gear drives so I can run the 3 blades.

-A