HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:08 AM
Expert in sawdust production
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Aug 2007
1,445 Posts
I must say Joe your build has been fascinating to watch and what better way to keep history alive then to model Lindbergh's airplane? Unfortunately for the public at large flying is a safe, mundane, everyday occurrence and think more of the hassles of modern day airports and airliner travel. We forget what the pioneers of aviation did for us back then and they price some of them paid to further aviation. I like to think us in the hobby have a better understanding and still hold a sense of wonder for flight.
flyerinokc is offline Find More Posts by flyerinokc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:19 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,596 Posts
I would certainly have to echo flyerinokc's sentiments.

While Joe may feel his build is overly slow, I can't help feeling it passing too fast. But then, I'm right there with everyone else wanting to see progress. Talk about a two edge sword!

So, piperjoe,
Thanks so much for letting us tag along. Even if you decide to end the journey, at any time, we would owe you!
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jan 23, 2015, 01:19 PM
Expert in sawdust production
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Aug 2007
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
Thanks so much for letting us tag along. Even if you decide to end the journey, at any time, we would owe you!
+1! We owe you big time! Thank you for letting us tag along!
flyerinokc is offline Find More Posts by flyerinokc
Old Jan 23, 2015, 02:11 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
Odisseo, I took no offense to what you posted, my friend. What I realized was that I take too darn long when I build a model. I get caught up in the enjoyment of working with the wood and doing the best I can with what I have. In the long run it is probably dragging on for many readers of the build log...and for that I feel embarrassed. Fast building, in and of itself, never really impressed me much I guess...

Soft landings,

Joe
It is NOT taking too long, and I am enjoying and look forward to any and all info/photos you post. Please do not feel that you have to rush anything, as this is YOUR build, we are just along for the ride. As they say, it's the journey, not what's at the end (or something to that effect, though in this case, what's at the end will be mega cool!!!)..

Quote:
Perhaps it's time to set the Spirit aside for awhile and post some finished photos later on.

Joe
It is of course your build, and your thread, but I know, I would certainly miss it if you did do this....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 23, 2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 04:35 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,569 Posts
Yep... everything that Steve said.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2015, 05:32 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,451 Posts
Quote:
In the long run it is probably dragging on for many readers of the build log...and for that I feel embarrassed.
Actually, Joe, with all the open framework and the patience and detail that you've put into this build, I consider your pace quite fast. But then again, I am NOT a "fast-food" sorta guy.

EJ
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 23, 2015, 08:29 PM
Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga Ooga-Chak
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,457 Posts
Anything I say would just be redundant. Carry on with the build and the build thread!!!!!

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:05 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,196 Posts
Ha! How's six months to paint one wing, and might be doing it again? How's that for slow. You and I and everyone in between build at our own pace, desire, ability, wants. There is only one we all strive to satisfy, ourself, and if others like it it is a bonus.
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:13 PM
Joined Dec 2009
2,101 Posts
GEEZOW! Can't a guy get some rest around here!? To continue then...

Today I cut and glued a dozen or so of the 1/4" balsa tri-stock "nuggets" for the inside of the fuselage. After that I looked around the shop for that sheet of 5/32" plywood that I thought I had...but didn't. I wanted the 5/32" thickness to match the landing gear wire diameter, so the landing gear hold down straps would lay flush to the 5/32" diameter music wire. The local Big Box store didn't have any of the plywood, and I no longer purchase anything at the local hobby shop (don't even ask...), so, the next best thing would be to make my own plywood piece of 5/32" thickness. I went over to the plywood scrap box and found a piece of 1/8" aircraft plywood of the correct length and a scrap piece of 1/32" aircraft plywood; putting these two scrap pieces on top of each other gives me the 5/32" thickness needed for the job. I squared up two sides on the 1/8" plywood, placed the piece on top of the 1/32" plywood and traced the 1/8" plywood outline onto the 1/32" plywood. Using a freshly sharpened #11 blade and a metal straightedge, I cut out the 1/32" plywood to match the 1/8" plywood. Next, the dressmakers pattern wheel was run over two mating sides of the plywood pieces. Then I applied Titebond glue to those sides and spread it around with a scrap piece of balsa leaving a thin layer of Titebond on both of the mating sides. I allowed this to tack up a bit and then placed the two plywood pieces together so that the two squared edges lines up. Wiped off the excess Titebond that oozed out with a piece of paper towel and spot glued around the edge with thin CA. I applied pressure as the CA did its job and when I was satisfied that the CA was going to hold both plywood pieces in place I put the glued 5/32" thick piece of aircraft plywood between two flat surfaces and placed a patio stone piece on top to keep everything flat. I'll let this assembly dry overnight and tomorrow I'll cut three 3/8" wide strips from the now 5/32" plywood to be glued alongside of the 5/32" dia. landing gear music wire.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,633 Posts
Take all the time you want. I, for one am enjoying the journey. Thanks for sharing.

Bob
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Joined Feb 2014
272 Posts
Yeah, what everyone else said.
Stevegauth30 is offline Find More Posts by Stevegauth30