SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2015, 09:24 PM
Joined Mar 2014
136 Posts
Discussion
FMS Moa Glider 1500mm

So I've been in the market for a small glider, and decided to pick up one of these. I like the gull wing, and retro style she has, and looks to be a good flyer. Should have it in the mail in a few days from Motion, and I'll give some feedback soon!

I guess this will be the official thread, I did a search and couldn't find one.

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-moa-glid...p/#description
chalmene is online now Find More Posts by chalmene
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:40 PM
Scott
United States, NE, Broken Bow
Joined Oct 2014
44 Posts
I got this and a Radian for Christmas as my first two RC airplanes. I have about 10 flights on the Moa so far. I love the gull wing.

I don't feel like it is floating and gliding quite as well as it should. Seems to be a bit nose heavy to me, but then being new to the hobby, I really don't know anything.

I'm looking forward to warmer weather to be able to play with it more. It's winter and cold here, so not much lift is to be found. I'm getting 18-20 minutes on 1,300 mah batteries just motoring up and gliding back down. With a little speed and a power off fly-by, it will even whistle a little. I LOVE glider whistle.

-- Scott
NB0W is offline Find More Posts by NB0W
Old Jan 16, 2015, 01:31 PM
Joined Mar 2014
136 Posts
Thats some good flight time, ill be using the 1300 also. Got mine in yesterday and got her all together last night. Hopefully get the maiden in tomorrow and I'll report back...
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:06 AM
Scott
Joined Oct 2014
44 Posts
I got some more flight time Monday evening. It was cold, but no wind.

I've been feeling like mine is nose heavy. I couldn't move the battery back any more, so I added a little tail weight (I don't even know how much, just a small piece of lead I had in my box) and did a test hand toss. It floated across the field quite nicely, so I did it again adding some power. It seemed to be flying good, so I took it on up. With the added tail weight, it floated MUCH better. I was getting a little porpoising when I'd first start gliding off of power, but I was getting way longer, and more gentle glides. One of my friends saw me flying so he stopped, watched a bit and said "That is flying much better today ... did you do something to it?"

I was shivering and cold, but it looked so cool against the setting sun and clouds, I had to keep going until I ran out of batteries.

-- Scott
Old Jan 17, 2015, 08:49 AM
Joined Mar 2014
136 Posts
Nice to see you got her flying better, Scott. It's cool here also, I got a pack charged and plan to give it a go in a little bit. I did install my receiver under the wing, instead of under the canopy so hopefully I will have enough room to adjust CG if need be. It is tail heavy according to the manual's CG recommendations, but we know how that goes.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 09:14 AM
Scott
Joined Oct 2014
44 Posts
I put my receiver under the wing too. It fits nicely there.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

-- Scott
Old Jan 17, 2015, 03:22 PM
Joined Mar 2014
136 Posts
Well first attempt was less than ideal, she was nose heavy for sure. CG in the manual is WAY off. And I believe I didn't launch hard enough to boot. That mixed with her being nose heavy, she sank like a brick and I didn't cut power soon enough as I tried to climb out. No damage other than broken spinner where prop blades attach. Oh well, ordering a couple spinners from Motion so I can give it another go..
Old Jan 17, 2015, 04:32 PM
Scott
Joined Oct 2014
44 Posts
That sucks. Also lets me know I should get and extra spinner next time I order something.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 04:47 PM
Joined Mar 2014
136 Posts
Yes, the hinge portion of the spinner is very delicate, and I believe the prop screws are too small also which is causing one side to be weaker. Going to be looking for some small machine screws and nuts instead of what they give you. I did not land very hard either, just the small bit of power I had on was enough to break the prop mounts.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 09:32 PM
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,971 Posts
Hey fellas, I have seen a couple of comments about this plane being nose heavy so I downloaded a copy of the manual. According to the manual you should invert the plane to check the C/G. I mention this as folks often look in the manual for the distance back from the wing and then stop there once they see those numbers.

As for the broken hub/prop issue. Those plastic hubs and props often can be problematic. You can look into upgrading to a sturdier setup by looking at the spinner/prop selection at Esprit.

http://www.espritmodel.com/folding-spinners.aspx

http://www.espritmodel.com/graupner-...ropellers.aspx
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:28 PM
Scott
Joined Oct 2014
44 Posts
I did check mine with it inverted per the manual, but I still felt that the nose was dropping faster than it should when in a glide. I didn't measure where I have the CG now, but I like how it's flying with the little bit of extra tail weight.

-- Scott
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:28 AM
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,971 Posts
I have been reading some other reports on this plane. It does seem to be nose heavy, especially if using a 3s battery. Even then, using the 1300 2s the plane is still a bit nose heavy. One person did add some weight to the tail also and felt the plane flew much better.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member