HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
RC Pazzo
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Jul 2004
177 Posts
Discussion
Syma 109G Mod

This is for everybody who has a Syma 109G Apache micro heli. This a brand new item and after I charged with a “Imax B6” trough the USB cord supplied with an adapter to complied the charger, I notice that the flying time was barely 2 minutes. Very surprised!I charged it again (the charger shows 4.2V) and fly it again and I got almost same flying time. Charged again (charger shows 4.1V) and after a little over 5 minutes, the charger stopped at 4.2V. Full charge? Well, I had an idea. I had a spear battery fully charged DIRECLY to the charger: 4.2V. Remove the other battery and I install this one in. Flying time NOW was about over 4 minutes All this means that, charging trough the normal port from the heli and passing the circuit board has something to do to a “normal full” charge of the battery. OK, battery voltage was 4.2V but after flying dropped normally close to 3.6v, OK here Now…the charging took over 35min. at 100MA (150MA normal battery).My conclusion is, that is better charging the battery OUTSIDE of the port of the heli because it is something in the board that prevent the FULL charge of the battery. From the picture it’s what I adapt an external micro plug with a connection in parallel to the battery. I did this mod to my 2 Syma 107’s. Anybody had this problem?
Any comments?
elettroman is offline Find More Posts by elettroman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:31 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,972 Posts
Your Imax B6 is a "smart" charger. It is "smart" because it chargers, it samples, it analyzes, and then it charges again. It is able to make smart decision about how to charge the battery because it alternates between charging and analyzing.

When using the B6 to charge through the S109G charge port, you are assuming that the B6 could send through a charge, then be able to read the instantaneous status update of the battery. However, that is not the case. There is circuitry between the charge port and the battery, so that a voltage could be sent through. However, the voltage of the battery could not be read back, at least not the true voltage of the battery. In that sense, the B6 could not see the true status of the battery, and therefore, unable to make the right decision. I might think that the battery is charged, but in reality, it is not.

However, when you make the mod you did, you are now bypassing all that circuitry between the charge port and the battery, and the B6 would be able to function correctly, because the B6 once again have direct access to the battery.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:11 AM
RC Pazzo
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Jul 2004
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Your Imax B6 is a "smart" charger. It is "smart" because it chargers, it samples, it analyzes, and then it charges again. It is able to make smart decision about how to charge the battery because it alternates between charging and analyzing.

When using the B6 to charge through the S109G charge port, you are assuming that the B6 could send through a charge, then be able to read the instantaneous status update of the battery. However, that is not the case. There is circuitry between the charge port and the battery, so that a voltage could be sent through. However, the voltage of the battery could not be read back, at least not the true voltage of the battery. In that sense, the B6 could not see the true status of the battery, and therefore, unable to make the right decision. I might think that the battery is charged, but in reality, it is not.

However, when you make the mod you did, you are now bypassing all that circuitry between the charge port and the battery, and the B6 would be able to function correctly, because the B6 once again have direct access to the battery.
You are perfectly right and thanks for the reply. Then, how good it is having this "SMART" charger (B6) and try to charge trough the "regular" charging port when, it is "killed" by the in between circuitry inside the heli? Doesn't make sense. This is why I made that mod and having the battery charge "directly" from my trusty B6. I'm non sure how ALL the owners of all the Syma helis (and I think for all these micro helis) have notice this, I would say, inconvenience. This is why I appeal to all those that have notices what I mention previously. As I said, I made also this mod to my other two Syma 107 and since then, I enjoy my FULL flying time.
Regards - Aldo.
Last edited by elettroman; Mar 25, 2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add more words
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:38 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,972 Posts
Hehe, you'd be surprised, but a few of us, including myself and Roboheli have noticed this "inconvenience". However, you need to remember that for the most of the owners of this $20 toy, few of them also own a smart charger that costs more than the heli itself. Likewise, few of them has to deal with this inconvenience.

What you did there for the S109 is a great first step. But if you already own a B6, why stop there (with an external parallel charging cable, I mean)? Why not use your B6 to charge up a handful of hobby grade batteries and then fly one after another for virtually unlimited flight time? The mod you did is great, except you are still flying one battery per helicopter. When the 5 minutes of flight is over, you have to recharge it.

If you take this one step further like I suggested then (1) you have much longer flight time and (2) there is no need to have a cable hanging out of the fuselage!

The two main considerations are: (1) What kind of battery (plug) to use? And (2) How to gain quick access to the replace the battery without a screw driver.

What do you think?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:35 PM
RC Pazzo
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Jul 2004
177 Posts
Quote:
Hehe, you'd be surprised, but a few of us, including myself and Roboheli have noticed this "inconvenience". However, you need to remember that for the most of the owners of this $20 toy, few of them also own a smart charger that costs more than the heli itself. Likewise, few of them has to deal with this inconvenience.

What you did there for the S109 is a great first step. But if you already own a B6, why stop there (with an external parallel charging cable, I mean)? Why not use your B6 to charge up a handful of hobby grade batteries and then fly one after another for virtually unlimited flight time? The mod you did is great, except you are still flying one battery per helicopter. When the 5 minutes of flight is over, you have to recharge it.

If you take this one step further like I suggested then (1) you have much longer flight time and (2) there is no need to have a cable hanging out of the fuselage!

The two main considerations are: (1) What kind of battery (plug) to use? And (2) How to gain quick access to the replace the battery without a screw driver.

What do you think?
Wherever you ever considered it's OK, matter of fact I have 2 -107''s that sometime I fly together with the 109 plus I have also an E-Sky - Cost Guard. You want to say about flying time, I got plenty.of it. I did the mods and for now I'm not complaint, what can I do, I stick with it.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 07:32 PM
RC Pazzo
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Jul 2004
177 Posts
Battery plug?

Quote:

What do you think?
HeliPad - It is not a big deal, but just out of curiosity. Do you know how it is called those micro plugs that comes in the 150ma battery included in the "107-109 etc" heli? Are those called "micro mini JST'? I would like to have a few. Thanks if you reply me.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 01:11 PM
Joined Feb 2015
2 Posts
Hey I'm a newb does it have to be on to use the cable charger
bswarth1 is offline Find More Posts by bswarth1