SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined May 2012
444 Posts
Discussion
The SR-71 project. Go big or go home!

Iíve always loved fast things. Fast cars, fast boats, bikes, and most of all planes! And nothing comes close to the king of fast planes the legendary SR-71 Blackbird. So it only made sense that when I decided to start scratch building R/C planes that Iíd start with my favorite super(duper)sonic monster!
Iíve dabbled in building for a little while. My club dogfights foam board F-14ís, and Iíve built about 20 of them over the past year, tweaking the plans and modding it for fun. I took what Iíve learned from those and built my first SR.

Itís made from Hobby lobby foam board, dollar tree foam, poster board, and carbon fiber rods. It flies great, and looks cool up in the air. It proved to me that I could turn a three angle drawling into a scale looking flying model, and got me hooked on scratch building. I currently have 7 flights on it, more than half successful. lol
Once the concept was proven, I moved on to what I really wanted, a big EDF SR. I had wild dreams of 12 feet of mach 3 badness! Retracts, lights, and detail to rival the real thing. But once I saw the plans laid out full scale, I nearly fell over. I figured I should start out a little smaller.

7í5Ē is still dang big! Best part is itís scaled to fit snugly in the bed of my truck. I wonít have to pull it apart for transport, so that gives me the ability to add strength to the air frame, without adding a lot of weight. After I figured out the size I started thinking about power. This will have retracts, a gyro, and also the ability to carry a D-21 drone(rocket powered funjet) off its back. I quickly found out the EDFís I would need where not going to be cheap (oh, and Iíve never flown an edf jet). I suddenly found myself having nightmares of all this hard work and money going wonky on the first flight and smashing to pieces right in front of me. I needed to take another step back and build another test mule. So v2 was born.

Itís slightly larger than v1. It has a lighter air frame and it will be built the same way I plan on building the big one, so I can work any issues in my build process. It will be powered by two hobbyking edfís and have fixed landing gear. I plan to use this one to test my jet pilot skills, takeoff and landing, and work out any bugs in the design before I start building on the big one.
I love me some blue foam!

This is only my second (REAL) scratch build, but I think itís going well.
Here is where I left off yesterday, to scale the thing in your mind; my lovely wife is 5í even.

Iím learning a lot through this project and turning a lot of heads at the field at the same time. Any input is more than welcome, positive or negative. If you see me doing something dumb tell me. Iím still a rookie at all this. And I am coming up with a lot of it as I go.

I plan on covering this one with a light paper mashe, for strength and the ability to paint it safely, but will also be using a good amount of carbon rods. My hobby shop guy loves me getting into scratch building; I think Iím putting his kids through college on carbon alone!
Iíll update as I go. Wish me luck!
4bangen is offline Find More Posts by 4bangen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:22 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,635 Posts
Very nice , thats a big bird indeed . My dad was just telling me about the one he saw in arizona while there .. neat plane , he thought it was funny that the titanium used to build it came from Russia which is the reason it was built in the first place .

Heres a great thread to check out on covering foam http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552848

Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined May 2012
444 Posts
Thanks for that tip. And it is funny about the titanium. The US created hundreds of shell corporations to buy smaller amounts of it from each so they wouldn't catch on. lol
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:36 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,334 Posts
So I take it after this isnt fast enough for you, you will then build the worlds fastest plane, the X-15.

SR-71 record 2200mph
X-15 record 4000mph

SR-71 Fastest air breathing plane, but not THE fastest plane. Though technically the X-15 is classified as a space plane only thing faster was the Space Shuttle, and that was out in space with no wind resistance

Good luck with the build. Looks like it will be a lot of fun.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
Joined May 2012
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
So I take it after this isnt fast enough for you, you will then build the worlds fastest plane, the X-15.
Actually I'll be working backwards. The next bird I want to build is the XB-70 It just looks wild, and would be cool as all get out to fly. I will not be doing scale landing gear on that one though. Those things where like a rubix cube!!!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:41 AM
Joined May 2012
444 Posts
Good morning (or whatever time it is where you are). Last night I got home late from work, so I didn’t have a lot of time to work. I did get the top of the fuse ribbed. I’m waiting on my edf’s to show up before I can start on the nasals. I’m getting excited about this bad boy.

Next step is plywood for the landing gear mounts, and then carbon for the wing spar. Then it’s time to flip it over and start on the belly. It’s going a lot faster than I thought, at this pace I’m betting on a week before it’s skinned.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:03 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,881 Posts
Nice

If you need help don't be shy

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749413
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:01 PM
Joined May 2012
444 Posts
picks from work today. Turning out pretty good for a test mule.

Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:24 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
689 Posts
Build looks excellent well done

I saw the real one many times during the '80s.

I live close to RAF Mildenhall in the UK and Det 4 was one of the forward bases.

Mostly saw one going vertical on full afterburn around 07:00 through the clouds.

I have a few pics on my blog of one of the ships stored at RAF Duxford UK.
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:46 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,758 Posts
Subbed
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:23 PM
United States, ME, Old Town
Joined Jul 2011
75 Posts
Nice

I'm watching this build with much interest. From 1987 to 1991, I was the NCOIC, 9th SRW Airfield Operations. Daily, I drove down the Beale AFB runway for FOD check and to make sure the specially designed arresting gear was in working order. When the SR retired on April 1, 1990, I stood in front of my building on the flightline and watched "all" the SR's plus one A-12B pulled out and lined up. When I was given that assignment, it was a dream come true. It was the one assignment over my 22 year career that carried with it the feeling of having meaning.
stillbents is offline Find More Posts by stillbents
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined May 2012
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbents View Post
I'm watching this build with much interest. From 1987 to 1991, I was the NCOIC, 9th SRW Airfield Operations. Daily, I drove down the Beale AFB runway for FOD check and to make sure the specially designed arresting gear was in working order. When the SR retired on April 1, 1990, I stood in front of my building on the flightline and watched "all" the SR's plus one A-12B pulled out and lined up. When I was given that assignment, it was a dream come true. It was the one assignment over my 22 year career that carried with it the feeling of having meaning.
Awesome, itís amazing how many 1st hand SR stories I've heard since I've started this project. It's truly a privilege to listen- or read them.
I stood them both up last night right before bed, and snapped a picture showing the difference between the two. Like I said V2 is slightly larger than V1. The obvious difference being this one will not be sporting the center mounted prop. I'm freaking out a little about going EDF on this; I've always been told they fly different than prop driven planes.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined May 2012
444 Posts
Got the rest of the fuse covered, and just had to rough in a nacelle to get a feel for how it will look. Canít do real nacelles until I get the EDF's, but this gives an idea of how it will turn out.

Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2012
29 Posts
Great build so far!!! keep it coming, I too am about to start an SR71 but i will be doing a center prop with an 11X8 prop i am thinking of around a 6 foot length, should still have a good power to weight ratio.
Did you just free hand you plans?
how did your first pusher prop fly?
BigBrother11 is offline Find More Posts by BigBrother11
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined May 2012
444 Posts
The pusher flew outstanding. I still fly it nearly every weekend, but here lately I've had the flu, so nothing has flown, and no build progress. I'm on the up swing so maybe this week I'll get back on it.