HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:48 PM
United States, GA, Duluth
Joined Jul 2009
64 Posts
Build Log
Panzer VIII Maus 1/16th Scale

Hi all, I'm new to RC tanks, I've done planes, submarines, and even a little boats. And then I bought Heng Long's 1/16 Panther G. I had already planned to make a 1/72 scale Ratte to go with my model kits and make it RC, but with my Panther, I had to have something to compliment it and the Maus was big but still manageable.

At 1/16th the Maus's body alone is about 21.5 inches long (the panther is less than 17)...so, pretty big. A simple blocky shape, I'm not going to worry much about the details but I would like it to look pretty scale.

Now I searched the net for plans to no avail, none sold one there was no model kit to convert. So I found a "papercraft" pattern to make a 1/50th paper model. In Russian, you can find it here: http://worldoftanks.ru/ru/media/10/maus-paper-tank/

In spite of the language barrier, the plans were clear enough. I scaled the PDF to print at 1/16th and started work.
I have already finished the undercarriage, it is made of 1/8in Basswood with three 1/8in Balsa ribs this is the basic skeleton, the treads fit in those gaps underneath the ribs.

I had planed to build the outside in 1/4 balsa but realized too late that that would seriously throw off not only the scale but also the plans which were designed with paper or card-stock in mind. Instead I will pick up some more 1/8in Basswood and use it for the outside. Once the basic outside is complete I will use epoxy to sheet it with styrene plastic sheets for extra strength and use the 1/4in balsa to reenforce it inside.

My biggest problem so far is treads. At 1/16th, the Maus has treads 2 7/8th inch wide and I cant really squeeze 3 inch in there, I could to 2.5 inch easily. But I don't know where to get that or the sprockets and wheels, please help!
I'm not going to worry about getting the road wheels just right, they are mostly covered anyway. I just need cheap treads around 2.5 inches wide or a little more. I'm also not sure what gearbox(s) to use, still new to tanks after all.

As for the gun, I'm thinking a small CO2 blower timed to go off with a cap gun. Non-functional but will leave an impression. That or one of those big BB guns they use for the RC battleships.

What do ya'll think? Suggestions please!
evildave42 is offline Find More Posts by evildave42
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2013, 09:51 AM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildave42 View Post

Now I searched the net for plans to no avail, none sold one there was no model kit to convert.

There is one available. http://www.store-juckenburg.de/index...roller=product

Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Oct 01, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined Jul 2009
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
Cool. $331.56 is a bit steep compared to the free plans I'm using though.
Old Oct 01, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildave42 View Post
Cool. $331.56 is a bit steep compared to the free plans I'm using though.
I like your approach so please keep us posted on your progress. By the time everything is built you may spend more than $331. But your approach appears to be more satisfying in the end.
CaliforniaDan is offline Find More Posts by CaliforniaDan
Old Oct 01, 2013, 09:41 PM
Joined Jul 2009
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDan View Post
I like your approach so please keep us posted on your progress. By the time everything is built you may spend more than $331. But your approach appears to be more satisfying in the end.
Thanks, I hope to keep it to a minimum, it wont be especially detailed and there may be a few things that arn't perfectly scale but at the same time I dont plan to skimp too much. I'm hoping to keep the parts total around $200. The most expensive parts should be the treads and drive-train (if I can ever figure out what to use).

I'm gonna do some more work tonight, I might have to update the thread tomorrow though.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Jul 2009
64 Posts
Sorry for the delays, other stuff has come up. I have redesigned it a bit though, the top and sides will be removable as one piece for servicing
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:16 AM
Joined Jul 2009
64 Posts
Gonna pick this up again. Anybody know how wide the tracks on a Heng Long 1/16 King Tiger are? I know it wont be scale, but as long as it's a little more than 2 inches. Maybe snow treads for it?
Old Dec 06, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined Jul 2009
64 Posts
Okay, I'm now only updating this on RC Universe:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...l#post11629148