HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2007, 12:14 PM
United States, VA, Mechanicsville
Joined Oct 2006
504 Posts
Gallery
GP18 Version 1.1 2-Speed update

Here is an update on my first bike design the GP18 V1.1.

I have all the parts except the Tank and Tail section. I'm still tryiung to decide whther I'm gogin to go with the Top Tank design I first had or the Botthom tank design I have. Looks like it will work the best by running the Pipe up and under the seat. So I can have 2 options for the radio. Top tank, Bottom radio or, Top radio and Bottom tank. I could make the bottom tank huge.

The first two pics show the engine and 2-speed tranny mounted in the engine mount. You can also see the main drive gear.

Then you can see the frame pieces and the assembled steering head.

Here you can see where the parts interlock.

The next 3 pics show the assembled frame and swingarm.

The next 4 show the assembled chassis with the engine and the complete roller. The complete roller is just a little over 3 lbs. now, I think I should be able to keep it under 4 lbs with all the gear on it.

The Black carbon composite plastic is about half the weight of Aluminum and really stiff. If you tap the parts on anything hard they have sort of a ceramic ring to them. But the tests that I have run show it isn't brittle. I guess I'll see.
The fender is for show but I'm close to offering for sale a really strong scale front fenter that mounts to the fork bottoms and travels with the wheel. I'll post here soon.
I should have it running soon, let me know what you think.

Later,
Laszlo
Lazman is offline Find More Posts by Lazman
Last edited by Lazman; Mar 28, 2008 at 07:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2007, 12:21 PM
burnout king
cali
Joined Oct 2006
248 Posts
looking good. nice craftmanship. keep it up and oh ya have a spare for sale .

tim
5150driver is offline Find More Posts by 5150driver
Old Apr 08, 2007, 12:35 PM
Joined Feb 2007
702 Posts
Mee likee.I want one.
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Apr 08, 2007, 12:51 PM
Canyon Country
Joined Jun 2005
185 Posts
wow!!!!!!!! that thing is beautiful. how long until you are able to actually bring a couple of those into production? any chance of an electric model being made?

Ronnie
tekron is offline Find More Posts by tekron
Old Apr 08, 2007, 12:57 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
9,872 Posts
Wow,

Badass man... I wouldnt mind paying for a preproduction kit to test out once your finished
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 08, 2007, 01:35 PM
United States, VA, Mechanicsville
Joined Oct 2006
504 Posts
Honestly this will probably be the only one since most every feedback on the last design said that a 2-speed was really bad for a race bike. Apperently it always wants to shift at the wrong time and you get a big boost of speed when you are about ready to slow down. I might just try to see how fast I can get it to go. I'm sure that with a modified engine, somewhere in the neighborhood of 3hp, you could gear it to go 90 mph or faster. I can stretch out the wheel base.
If someone wants one made and is really interested in having one. The rapid prototype shop I use would be happy to make one for you. It would cost a little more than an RG1. Then you need the engine and 2 speed.
I'm working on a single speed design using a reversed 1-speed I designed. I was inspired by what Dennis had done. I'm also designing a new chassis around that design that will be a lot like this but much narrower. It features a rear exhaust design with a single speed clutch and a 22 degree lean angle. It will be lighter and have a fewer number of parts than this design (which has 12 parts to make the whole chassis).

Laz
Lazman is offline Find More Posts by Lazman
Old Apr 08, 2007, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
You did an INSANE job on that bike.Now that's what i'm talking about.After i seen your bike i quickly rushed to my garage and look at my bikes.And thought boy they look like dinasuars.LOL and how much the other two plankers looked like dinasuars.

But the biggest problem iv'e ever had with the 2spd was the first gear owb get torqued out.Once you get off power and get back on.If the OWB problem can be solve i think it will work the right gearing.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Apr 08, 2007, 05:01 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,708 Posts
Laz,.. it looks awesome now all put together..! You can really see what will work and what wont.. As for the engine, I don't see why you'd want to drop an .18 rear Ex. with a 2speed, the bike will be stupidly fast and when 2nd kicks in it will be time to slow down for the next corner.. If you get 2nd to kick in any earlier the bike will probably snap over backwards.. Plus you have the manifold sticking out the side.. There's lots of good .12 side Ex. engines out there that would do a better job around the track than that .18 your using, even without a 2spd.. It would be like a Lipo/BL bike that you have to baby out of the corners,.. unlike with something a little more tame that you can really get on the throttle with and not be worried about getting over half throttle and flipping it etc... JM'2c

For the tank, I'd put it under.. Having it at the top and your radio gear underneath you risk oil and fuel dripping all over it.. A tank at the top would make it too top heavy aswell...

Anyway,.. if you made a whole bunch of chassis up, I'd considder buying one for sure..!!!

Shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old Apr 08, 2007, 05:45 PM
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Apr 2005
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaulfi
For the tank, I'd put it under.. Having it at the top and your radio gear underneath you risk oil and fuel dripping all over it.. A tank at the top would make it too top heavy aswell...

Shaun
I was also thinking that with the tank on top, the bikes handling characteristics would change a lot as the fuel depleted. Not sure, just thinking out loud.
Nexzzt is offline Find More Posts by Nexzzt
Old Apr 08, 2007, 07:00 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,650 Posts
i thought the same thing.... but it was discussed in the other thread and explained how the depletion of fuel may not affect the bike as much as we think... either way... the bike is brilliant.... i love the swingarm... and i'm anxious to hear the testing results....

i would like to see an electric one
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Apr 09, 2007, 12:43 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,164 Posts
Looking good, Laz!
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Apr 09, 2007, 05:19 AM
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,208 Posts
#That a great looikng bike Laz. keep up the good work.
Whitham69 is offline Find More Posts by Whitham69
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:06 AM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
oh my god I want one, get a nice lil 26 or 30 four banger in there and I will sort you out a credit card number LOL

work of art mate, so good to see things liek this appear on the scene
AC-racing is offline Find More Posts by AC-racing
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:15 AM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Newark.Nottinghamshire.UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
It's really good to see someone actually come up with something in the flesh rather than some of the ideas that have been floated here in the past

The only thing with using engines bigger than a twelve in racing is the fuel tank capacity to cope with the consumption.

Hope it runs as well as it looks.

Allan
Allan Waterfall is offline Find More Posts by Allan Waterfall
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:28 AM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
who cares what it goes like when it looks that good

Im not very good at DIY but bet I could build a shelf for that
AC-racing is offline Find More Posts by AC-racing