SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2014, 08:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Build Log
"FoamCub" Build

I've been wanting a Fun Cub for a while now, but shelling out over $100 for a couple pieces of formed foam doesn't sit too well with me. Especially considering I have a limited hobby fund.

I purchased some 1/4 Scale J3 Cub plans from a seller on ebay and I was planning on using them as a basis for a foam board cub.

Then the other day I came across this fantastic article on the Flite Test website: http://flitetest.com/articles/swappa...build-and-demo

ShaunMartin did an amazing job of making plans and build video's on the construction of his "FoamCub" it is based off of the multiplex fun cub. I instantly knew this was the plane I had been looking for.

He recommends using the Elmer's foam board even though it is heavier because it is stronger. I decided to build my first one out of the Elmer's board and I might try another one out of the lighter dollar tree foam board.

I'm not sure how everyone else uses printed plans for making the individual pieces but I will show my method.

First I print the plans and cut them out exactly as if I were cutting the foam pieces. This gives me templates for parts so I can easily replicate pieces for repair work or duplicate complete planes.

Then I take a highlighter with a nice point to it and out line the whole part onto the foamboard:

How the part looks when its ready to be cut out:

After cutting:

Rinse and repeat:

For the fuselage and wing plans I went to STAPLES and had them print the plans at full size, I did not feel like taping together 8 pieces of standard computer paper three times, this added a few dollars to the cost of the air frame but $20 for the whole plane (plans and foam board) I'm not complaining.

Where I am at right now:

MassSteam is offline Find More Posts by MassSteam
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2014, 08:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Got some parts in that ShaunMartin listed in his build:

These Dave Brown wheels should work very nicely as scale 35" Alaskan Bushwheels

Getting excited to fly this thing and I don't even have the wings built yet. I'm already thinking about floats...
MassSteam is offline Find More Posts by MassSteam
Old May 11, 2014, 10:23 PM
crash expert
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2014
237 Posts
So similar but different to the foam lazybee I am building at the moment!
Subscribed
felixx is offline Find More Posts by felixx
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:50 PM
TEAM CIRRUS FPV
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2013
470 Posts
Nice build so far!
RainyDayRC is offline Find More Posts by RainyDayRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Team cirrus fpv debut
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
FOX ONE!!!!!
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Sep 2012
349 Posts
Any updates?

I have all the part now myself. Will start my own build soon. Wondering if you have any more on your build. This is really an interesting Cub just dont see many people building it.
neusse is offline Find More Posts by neusse
RCG Plus Member