SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:57 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
RC and fligth controller

Hi all,

I have a few questions concerning the IFLY-4, all related to flight behavior.

* Although I trimmed the settings on my RC, the quad is still flying backwards when I release the stick right stick (mode 2). The trim on the RC is set to its highest position, but it still flies backwards. Has anyone experienced the same problems? How could I solve this? I fly with the standard RC that came with the IFLY-4. Should I upgrade to a better one to remedy this issue? any suggestions?

* When the quad is high up and there is some wind, one can easily loose orientation. GPS hold would therefore be very handy. Did anyone already try to mount another flightcontroller in this quad (the DJI naza for instance)? Just wanted to know how difficult/easy it is to change fligth controllor or if I should wait until IDEAFLY brings out their GPS.

Thanks for the replies and help!

Geert
Rawli1836 is offline Find More Posts by Rawli1836
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
Hi, I am Roby.
Could someone help me (I'm a novice) in these questions about Ifly-4?
1) In IdeaFlyTools - in STATE - the imagine of quad is BLUE props Front and RED props Rear; BUT in my IdeaFlyTools (ver. 1.3.2) , when I raise the nose, are the RED props that go on top, not the blue! Where is the mistake?

2) In IdeaFlyTools - in JOYSTICK - MODE - there are 2 options (Manual & Balance), BUT in my IdeaFlyTools there are 3 options (Balance - Manual - Balance&Altitude): Please, help me understand how to use these three Mode settings! In which channel of the receiver must I put the mode switch? Have I to use a 2 or 3 mode switch?

3) In IdeaFlyTools - in CONTROL - there is ALTITUDE CONTROL: how it works, what numbers should I enter for the height, are in meters? Please, tell me more about this!

4) Is it possible to plug in a GPS? If yes, what type?
Thank you very much for the explanations that you give me and good luck! Roby.
oplon is offline Find More Posts by oplon
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:18 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Ok Iflyers check this out
http://www.hobby-wing.com/idea-fly-4...uadcopter.html
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:59 AM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
212 Posts
Yeah I seen that too tech69x....Just a couple of days ago I sent a PM to ideafly because I wanted to know about the GPS capabilities of the current FC C4. He said they're working on the new flight controller which is called C4E but it's not gonna be ready for atleast another month...... So.... Is this a fake.... Or what?? .... Now is a good time to chime in here Ideafly.....
1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:26 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
The funny thing is the video is of a ifly 4
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:27 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,900 Posts
Roby. To be honest I'm with you on the switch settings for the three options. On my DX7 I have a 3 way switch but I only have 2 different settings ( manual and balance) I can't see how to activate alt hold, as I can't assign my 3 way toggle to the options described on the I Tools...Also, I get LED's flashing twice in balanced mode and 3 times on the other mode..The manual says otherwise.Over all I'm very happy with my quad, it flies extremely well, but is just these questions that are niggling. On one of the switch modes, when I change it, the motors speed up a little at idle, can anyone give me an idea what this mode is?

I'm out to fly my first LOS flight in big open space today, after the fog here has lifted the windspeed is forecast at just 2 mph with sunny periods, so will be interesting to try at high altitudes. I have fitted a pair of Turnigy strobe lights to the rear arms to aid with orientation at higher altitudes. Got my GoPro on board, so should be a fun mission!

Going back to the questions other guys have too, IFLY staff usually are very quick at answering user queries, so hopefully they will check in soon.

The 4S in the Hobbywing link looks good, but was under the impression it wasn't available yet? Pity the video was for the standard IFLY-4 though..

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:11 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
After reading all 51 pages I decided to I would take the plunge and buy one... waiting on hobby king to ship it now.

I don't think you could buy a frame 4 motors 4 escs and a flight controller for this price which is why I decided to buy it.

I plan on using it for fpv, so I will slap my ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8ghz tx and camera and hornet osd on it and see how it handles it.

I will post my review once it arrives and I have time to play with it.
ArSkDave is offline Find More Posts by ArSkDave
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:16 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,900 Posts
Quote:
I don't think you could buy a frame 4 motors 4 escs and a flight controller for this price which is why I decided to buy it.
Me too!
I look forward to hearing about your experiences Dave. I'm going to add my FPV setup once I've flown some more with this in LOS.

Matt
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:03 AM
I can fly this plane
Kingdom of Sweden, Gävleborg County, Sandviken
Joined Jan 2012
228 Posts
What are the main differences between the current IFLY-4 and 4S?

New type of arms
Longer arms
New FC
Higher lift capacity

Anything else?
PinDuke is offline Find More Posts by PinDuke
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:51 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Hi All,
New on here but have been following this forum (and this thread in particular) for a while seems like there is a wealth of knowledge on here.

I'm on the verge of ordering one of these ifly4 quadcopters (mainly due to its price) but still not 100% sure, just looking for some buying advice (where to buy, delivery time/cost etc) ease of set up & use, what is it really like to live with and how does it perform with the Go Pro camera? is it as advertised a cheapish AV platform?

Any help or advice like "yes go on get one, you won't regret it" or "Dont touch it with a barge pole!" would be greatly appreciated.

P.S any more news on the ifly 4s version?
pigdogstix is offline Find More Posts by pigdogstix
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:00 PM
Good Times
Portland . Dorset . England
Joined Jun 2009
290 Posts
Well , I ordered 1 last night .
Looks good , and hopefully it can have an ifly4s FC with GPS support fitted when they become available .

Bob
Bobbyr is offline Find More Posts by Bobbyr
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:23 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,900 Posts
The cheapest supplier out there is HK, I ordered mine and turned up in the UK about 3 weeks later, 1 week of that was because of customs and parcelforce clearance, cost about £24 in duty to get it released from them..
However, it doesn't come with the camera mount from Hobbyking, but I made my own tilt mount. Other option is buy the mount direct from IFLY or from a UK supplier called Unmanned in the UK. I think the version they sell of the quad itself is an older version than the HK supplied one, or of course you can buy the complete unit from IFLY themselves. A bit more expensive, but I think you'll take delivery of it sooner than HK.

In terms of how it flies, well, mine flies perfectly, some other users have had minor issues but none with mine, and I've flown it about 15 times now.
Buy a couple of Nano Tec 3300 packs, they work really well, and even with a GoPro and mount I'm getting 13 minute flights.

I did a flight last week outside, the weather wasn't too fantastic in terms of lighting, but here's my video:

Outdoor flight in a Country Park with my IFLY-4 Quadcopter and GoPro cam. (11 min 4 sec)

index=1&feature=plcp

I'd say buy it, I don't regret my purchase one little bit, it's incredibly stable, my maiden flight was in my small lounge.

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:59 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Thanks chaps,

I watched a couple of your videos Matt, pretty cool mate, I'll sleep on it I think, as I don't have a receiver anymore so would probably be looking at an RTF unit.

I've noticed in a couple of videos on here and other places that some of the models have had the bleeping problem (low batt alarm) if I'm correct how have people overcome this? Is it just a software update or a hardware problem?

Where did you order yours from Bobbyr?
pigdogstix is offline Find More Posts by pigdogstix
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:31 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdogstix View Post
Thanks chaps,

I watched a couple of your videos Matt, pretty cool mate, I'll sleep on it I think, as I don't have a receiver anymore so would probably be looking at an RTF unit.

I've noticed in a couple of videos on here and other places that some of the models have had the bleeping problem (low batt alarm) if I'm correct how have people overcome this? Is it just a software update or a hardware problem?

Where did you order yours from Bobbyr?
I found that the likely cause was it doesn't like 20c batteries, anything above 25c works perfect, my bleeper doesn't activate until I'm really low on my 25c + packs, any 20c I have will low battery warning bleep even with a full charge, and balanced cells...Which reminds me, I need to buy more packs.

This quad incidentally, is insanely simple to set up using the IFLY toolk kit on your PC or laptop, so no worries there, took about 10 minutes, dead easy.

Well, have a think on it, if you have a 2.4 Ghz Tx, (DSM) the orange 6 channel recievers from HK are really cheap, but work perfectly.

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:36 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawli1836 View Post
Hi all,

I have a few questions concerning the IFLY-4, all related to flight behavior.

* Although I trimmed the settings on my RC, the quad is still flying backwards when I release the stick right stick (mode 2). The trim on the RC is set to its highest position, but it still flies backwards. Has anyone experienced the same problems? How could I solve this? I fly with the standard RC that came with the IFLY-4. Should I upgrade to a better one to remedy this issue? any suggestions?

* When the quad is high up and there is some wind, one can easily loose orientation. GPS hold would therefore be very handy. Did anyone already try to mount another flightcontroller in this quad (the DJI naza for instance)? Just wanted to know how difficult/easy it is to change fligth controllor or if I should wait until IDEAFLY brings out their GPS.

Thanks for the replies and help!

Geert
Maybe reset your trims to centre and use your sub trim to set up using the tool kit? Might be worth a try.