HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Jul 08, 2011, 01:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
37 Posts
I got 95 minutes first go, my keychain ones have managed to stay above 35 minutes after quite a lot of use so not too bad there.
stvn758 is offline Find More Posts by stvn758
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:14 PM
Registered User
The Netherlands, GR, Groningen
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
While waiting for the replacement battery, I temporarily soldered in a really good 120 mAh 25C Hyperion G3 cell and it powered the camera for 25 min! And I know it will have a much longer cycle life because I have used larger versions of these state-of-the-art lipo cells to power my electric RC planes. When my replacement 240 mAh battery finally goes belyl up, I'm going to put the Hyperion cell back in and see how it performs over time.
That's a good tip, Tom, thanks! Does these Hyperions also have a tiny charging circuit onboard like the original battery has? So just swap the battery and that's it, without any other modifications necessary?
grun is offline Find More Posts by grun
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:05 PM
Registered User
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
16 Posts
Has anyone used PiTiVi in Ubuntu to edit the 808 .mov files?
SPM1851 is offline Find More Posts by SPM1851
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:46 PM
Registered User
mavlo77's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn758 View Post
I got 95 minutes first go, my keychain ones have managed to stay above 35 minutes after quite a lot of use so not too bad there.
After 6 months my recording time dropped to 2 minutes... Time for a new battery I guess....
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grun View Post
That's a good tip, Tom, thanks! Does these Hyperions also have a tiny charging circuit onboard like the original battery has? So just swap the battery and that's it, without any other modifications necessary?
No... the cells are bare, intended for powering RC plane motors. But, I unsoldered the circuit board from the depleted stock battery tabs, and soldered it onto the tabs of the Hyperion cell. Pretty easy to do. See the pics and tips in the FAQs link for battery replacement in Post #3.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:57 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
2 Posts
camera not always recording

I've had ver.3 of that camera for several weeks. It usually works ok. But now I have had twice same problem.

I start recording, and the light turns off. But it never saves anything on the memorycard. I use the camera as an headcam, and I let it record until the battery dies. (over 50min).

On the first time this happened, it had cont.record firmware.

And on the other time i switched to 20min/stop/save/cont. firmware. This time I had shot a test record (few seconds) on newly formatted memcard. The file was still there after I tried to record as lon as battery works.

This has happened now just twice. When i shoot test videos it always works fine. It has been warm days, so can the heat be some kind of problem? I think shaking can't be trouble, because I have had that camera also mounted on rc car.

If anyone knows what's the problem...

(sorry my english)
nopsa is offline Find More Posts by nopsa
Last edited by nopsa; Jul 09, 2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:29 AM
Master Of My Universe
scotsoft's Avatar
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Hi nopsa,
The problem could be your battery if you let it run down.
Lipo batteries will not charge up if you let them run down completely.
You always need to have some power left in them so they can be charged up again.
If you can try another battery in it and if that works don't let your battery run down as far again


Quote:
Originally Posted by nopsa View Post
I start recording, and the light turns off. But it never saves anything on the memorycard. I use the camera as an headcam, and I let it record until the battery dies. (over 50min).
(sorry my english)
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Hi nopsa,
The problem could be your battery if you let it run down.
Lipo batteries will not charge up if you let them run down completely.
You always need to have some power left in them so they can be charged up again.
If you can try another battery in it and if that works don't let your battery run down as far again
I think the battery is working normally, because after both situations I have been able to record again after charging the battery, and the battery will last as long as before.
But maybe I have to test with external powersource, if that could help?
nopsa is offline Find More Posts by nopsa
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
G'day forum. I pretty much just joined up to be part of this thread. Got the link to here from Tecmoan who reviewed this camera. Had mine for a few months. Many of my workmates have bought them. On average we get about 1 dud out of total order number of about 10 which isn't too bad. On average we get approx 45 mins of continious record time from them.

I've been experimenting with the little camera for a while now. thanks to those who developed the firmware updates making it easier to flash off the time stamp etc. I hope to see more updates on page #1 with more topics covered.

What I would like to know has anyone been able to figure out a way to dampen the mic on it so you won't pickup a lot of wind be it on a plane of strapped onto a car etc? I thought about some foam to dull it down like a proeessional camera has. Has anyone worked out a good way to do this.

Also has anyone come across any good cases to put the camera in? I've seen a few home-made ones around only.

I ordered one of the Dealextreme fish-eye lenses so I can't wait to try this out too.

Sorry abotu the long reply here.
Nidz is offline Find More Posts by Nidz
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
After 6 months my recording time dropped to 2 minutes... Time for a new battery I guess....
I ordered replacement batteries from hxelepro360 for $4.00 each. I replaced the batteries in two #11s this morning -- very easy to do -- and both are back to over 40 minutes now.

(Edit: You can order the batteries by sending an email to hxelepro@gmail.com and pay with a PayPal payment to that same address.)
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Last edited by RogerDH; Jul 09, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:54 AM
Registered User
jims123's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
I ordered replacement batteries from hxelepro360 for $4.00 each. I replaced the batteries in two #11s this morning -- very easy to do -- and both are back to over 40 minutes now.

(Edit: You can order the batteries by sending an email to hxelepro@gmail.com and pay with a PayPal payment to that same address.)
Roger,
that's encouraging .. I'm curious did you just clip and splice the two leads? I'm assuming that the charge circuitry needed comes sealed within the new battery case .. right? BTW i have an unproven theory that the heat the chips generate while recording .. especially if in bright sunlight .. is what causes the Lopo to fade so quickly .. while flying with that extra airflow.. likely not a problem .. but it certainly is if you are using it right-side up on the ground in bright sun.. under a hat brim (like I typically use them).. not so much. And if you STOP and switch to another cam well before the audio beeping threshold .. it's likely going to save the battery too.. but who does that? not me..I'm getting a Jumbo cause I find I could shoot hands-free for a couple hrs continually during races.. and often forget it's still ON and running..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Jul 09, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:12 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
KeithLuneau's Avatar
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidz View Post
G'day forum. I pretty much just joined up to be part of this thread. Got the link to here from Tecmoan who reviewed this camera. Had mine for a few months. Many of my workmates have bought them. On average we get about 1 dud out of total order number of about 10 which isn't too bad. On average we get approx 45 mins of continious record time from them.

I've been experimenting with the little camera for a while now. thanks to those who developed the firmware updates making it easier to flash off the time stamp etc. I hope to see more updates on page #1 with more topics covered.

What I would like to know has anyone been able to figure out a way to dampen the mic on it so you won't pickup a lot of wind be it on a plane of strapped onto a car etc? I thought about some foam to dull it down like a proeessional camera has. Has anyone worked out a good way to do this.

Also has anyone come across any good cases to put the camera in? I've seen a few home-made ones around only.

I ordered one of the Dealextreme fish-eye lenses so I can't wait to try this out too.

Sorry abotu the long reply here.
I've had great results with just a piece of electrical tape over the mic hole on the case. This helps when facing directly into the wind. I've also had the camera stuffed into a soft block of foam rubber with the fisheye lens on sticking out. This seems to work very well also!

This is a good example of how it sounds in the foam rubber...

HD Keychain camera, wide angle lens comparison (1 min 5 sec)
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Last edited by KeithLuneau; Jul 09, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:27 AM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Hi nopsa,
The problem could be your battery if you let it run down.
Lipo batteries will not charge up if you let them run down completely.
You always need to have some power left in them so they can be charged up again.
If you can try another battery in it and if that works don't let your battery run down as far again
The batteries in these cameras have a small battery protection circuit board soldered on their output taba (and wrapped in tape on the end). This circuit will open if the voltage during charging is too high or the voltage during discharge goes too low. So, there should be no damage to the battery if you let it run until it stops. It shuts off at a higher voltage than my plane speed controller does.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:30 AM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Roger,
that's encouraging .. I'm curious did you just clip and splice the two leads? I'm assuming that the charge circuitry needed comes sealed within the new battery case .. right? BTW i have an unproven theory that the heat the chips generate while recording .. especially if in bright sunlight .. is what causes the Lopo to fade so quickly .. while flying with that extra airflow.. likely not a problem .. but it certainly is if you are using it right-side up on the ground in bright sun.. under a hat brim (like I typically use them).. not so much. And if you STOP and switch to another cam well before the audio beeping threshold .. it's likely going to save the battery too.. but who does that? not me..I'm getting a Jumbo cause I find I could shoot hands-free for a couple hrs continually during races.. and often forget it's still ON and running..
The batteries do come with integral protection circuit board, but I found it easier to unwrap the tape to access the circuit board, unsolder the camera wires there, and solder them directly to the new battery circuit board. But YMMV.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Roger,
that's encouraging .. I'm curious did you just clip and splice the two leads? I'm assuming that the charge circuitry needed comes sealed within the new battery case .. right?
Since my eyes, tools, and soldering skills are all not so great, I intended to clip and splice -- I think there's enough room for that -- but instead I took Tom's suggestion and unwrapped the yellow tape and soldered the old leads to the new battery board. With my eyes, I needed a magnifying glass and a strong light, but it wasn't as hard as I expected.
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Last edited by RogerDH; Jul 09, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Samurai with key cam AeroNut45 Electric Plane Talk 2 Oct 30, 2010 11:40 PM
Found found beladog FPV Equipment (FS/W) 1 Oct 30, 2010 01:01 PM
Discussion Any sign of True real time HD FPV gear....not secondary HD CAM ???!! khaled_abobakr FPV Talk 8 Oct 10, 2010 07:13 AM
Mini-Review Key Chain Cam for your autogyro!!! imsofaman Auto Gyros 7 Sep 10, 2010 07:10 AM