Joe
Jockadopolus is online now Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:24 AM
Bimbeau the helifreak
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Hi Joe, indeed I don't seem to have any pitch on the blades. I read this topic from te start to more or less halfway, but not far enough it seems, why th do they change the blades to non-working anyway...

How much pitch is needed more or less? I have no reference you know... I do have a pitch gauge though
Bimbeau is offline Find More Posts by Bimbeau
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:19 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbeau View Post
Hi Joe, indeed I don't seem to have any pitch on the blades. I read this topic from te start to more or less halfway, but not far enough it seems, why th do they change the blades to non-working anyway...

How much pitch is needed more or less? I have no reference you know... I do have a pitch gauge though
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong I think you will find the pitch is set by the piece of timber at the blade grip. 2deg negative is the target blade pitch, with the rotor head 6deg back.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,697 Posts
Now regarding the pitch.....As Joe pointed out in in #973, there should be a "wedge" of timber on the blade where it bolts to the center hub.This wedge gives the blade a negative incidence ,helping the blades to spin
.It would appear as if this no longer happens with the H/K blades and so the T/E of the blade has to be lifted in some way.
If you look at #973,you will see that a thin strip of wood has been attached to the rear underside of the blade, giving the blade the negative pitch that is required..............
Happy Landings
Chris.............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:19 PM
Bimbeau the helifreak
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Mick, I don't think the blade pitch depends on the tilt of the rotor. I'll go for 2 degrees negative to start with.

Chris: I've read post 973, thats why I had this question. Please define 'a thin piece of wood', how thin is thin? 1mm? 2mm? I'll try some stuff to get to 2 deg and see what happens. I was just wondering if someone knew which angle works, and go from there.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:45 AM
South Africa, GP, Nigel
Joined Sep 2009
159 Posts
Most of my blades is 2.5deg neg.
Tinmar is offline Find More Posts by Tinmar
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:44 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbeau View Post
Mick, I don't think the blade pitch depends on the tilt of the rotor.
I never said it did
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
Bimbeau the helifreak
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I never said it did
Oh... guess I got your comment wrong then (i'm not native to english). Thanks for the tips anyway!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:47 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,697 Posts
Re the pitch angle.......2 is good....3 is max........................
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz