SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:07 AM
Joined Mar 2008
28 Posts
Discussion
Gobs of Glue

When building a kit and connecting threaded metal to threaded plastic on a rotating part, how much superglue (?CA) to use? Soak the whole thing or just a little dab?

Thanks,

Mark
mzimpfer is offline Find More Posts by mzimpfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:33 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
It's hard to say but in general, people use waaaay too much glue. if you can thinly coat the threads, you will probably be fine. I bet a drop on the first couple of threads would spread to the rest of them as you screw it in. I'd try hard to avoid any excess glue.

What is the part? You might want to look a thread lock instead of the CA.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:07 PM
Joined Mar 2008
28 Posts
Part is flybar paddle on flybar of helicopter. High RPM's.....

Is any superglue fine? By the way, CA is cyanoacrylate right?

Mark
mzimpfer is offline Find More Posts by mzimpfer
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Super Glue, Hot Stuff, Zap, jet, it's all pretty much the same and all CA. Do the instructions suggest CA?
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:21 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Yeah, if the instructions say CA, then that would be the right thing to use.

High RPM and probably high vibration. However, it sounds like the glue is to prevent movement so strength isn't super important. The strength will come from the threads. There will probably be little rotational force on the assembly. I think CA will be fine unless you will ever want to unscrew the two parts.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Dec 15, 2009, 03:39 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,693 Posts
the correct thing is probably loctite.

Of some flavour.

when I were a lad you could by thread locking compound. Essentially nail varnish. WE made do with balsa cement which isn't far off a thick sort of dope, which is a thick sort of naiil varnish.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:26 PM
USA, TX, Mission
Joined Oct 2004
231 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a package of tools for applying CA and would like to find more. I have no idea what they were called but about 4" long with a small bulb at one end. Pulling on the other end caused the tube to stretch into a smaller and smaller tip thus reducing the diameter and allowing a much smaller drop into hard to reach places.
Can someone tell me where to get a small supply, maybe 25. The great thing is that when, or if, the CA dries at the tip you simply cut it shorter and can continue to use it. I did see something called a pipette but they are different in that the tube reduces in size towards the end but they are longer and larger and do not seem to get down to the tiny size of end that I get with the one that I have left of the original supply.
Had also but a few tips that could be attached to the bottle of CA, any idea where to get about 25 of those?
Bill
busconv is offline Find More Posts by busconv
Last edited by busconv; Dec 16, 2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something...want to delete, posted in wrong place