HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:04 AM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,999 Posts
Help!
Need Info on Akaflieg Stuttgart FS-25 Cuervo Fuselage

I got this Akaflieg Stuttgart FS-25 Cuervo fuselage in a bunch of 1/4th scale sailplane parts I bought from southern California couple of years ago. I have identified it as an FS-25 from its distinctive cockpit cutout and necked down tail boom. It is 69.5" (1765.3mm) long and has a maximum depth at the LE of the wing root of 8" (203.2mm) and width of the cockpit area of 4.9" (124.46mm). The wing root chord is 10" (254.0mm)with a thickness of 1.3" (33mm) It has a box for a steel blade wing mounting system and the inside of the box is .46" X .16" (11.68mm X 4mm). Details about the full scale FS-25 are here: http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/akaflieg....php?id=46&L=2

I would appreciate any information anyone could provide about who made this model or leads to where I could find the plans and parts to complete it.

Thanks,

Richard
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Last edited by Richard N; Jul 20, 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added metric conversions
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:22 AM
Haltern, Germany
Joined Jun 2003
234 Posts
This kit was from a german manufacture long time ago. I think it was a company called Bauer Modelle Chocal GmbH, Schwaebisch Gmuend. When I find more in my files I let you know.
Christian
Christian Baron is offline Find More Posts by Christian Baron
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:01 AM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,999 Posts
Christian,

Thanks for that information. I look forward to seeing what you find.

Richard
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:35 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
918 Posts
Sorry Richard I have nothing useful to add, but the FS25 was the first fully-moulded model I saw, about 30 years ago, and it was like something from the future. I remember it came from Europe, was about 1/4 scale and cost more than my car at the time! Seem to remember it was a bit tippy in turns although conditions were poor.

Good luck with your build. You may wish to think about a more modern wing section. Please let us know how you get on.

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:13 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,999 Posts
Rog,

Good to hear from you. You've added a bit of useful information saying it was fully molded. This is another of those projects that I am gathering information on until I have enough to go on it, something like the Robbe ASW-24 you helped out on a while ago. I just can't pass up a deal on a sexy fuselage even if the rest of the airplane isn't there. I got this with a Nelson Ka-6E a couple of years ago and since I have all of the glass pieces of the Ka-6E, that one will be the first to get into the air. From what I have found on the Nelson, it was one of the first US all glass large sailplane models. It is interesting to hear from you that this FS-25 was fully molded too.

Richard
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2007
918 Posts
Hi Richard,

If you have anything more than a passing interest in scale gliders, I can whole-heartedly recommend the range of books by Martin Simons. These are beautifully produced comprehensive bibles on sailplanes from the earliest right up to 2000. Pretty sure there's a couple of pages on the FS25 in there. My copies are always to hand by my bedside. We have enough kids now anyway.

I have no connection with Martin other than hoping I grow up to be like him someday.

Cheers,
Rog
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:00 AM
Haltern, Germany
Joined Jun 2003
234 Posts
If found a picture and the full address of the company who has offered the FS-25. It was not not a fully-moulded model. Wingspan was 4140mm.
If this is not fitting to your fuse, you will have an other one that I don't know.
The FS-25 was not offered from several builders, therefor I think it is this one.
Christian
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:44 AM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,999 Posts
Christian,

Thanks for posting that. Googling Bauer didn't reveal much more than an entry about this thread. It is early in the search and even if nothing else turns up, I still have the hardest part to make leaning against the wall in my living room. Making a canopy, wings, and a stab will be easy compared to the work that would have been needed to make a fuselage from scratch.

Richard
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:02 PM
Haltern, Germany
Joined Jun 2003
234 Posts
Richard,
I started a thread in the german forum. Hope that we will see more information.
Please see here:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...04#post2429404

Christian
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:18 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,999 Posts
Christian,

From looking at your website (http://www.cb-roter-baron.de) in the post, I think the inquiry is in the best hands it could be. You model site is very impressive. If you think it would help, please feel free to copy the pictures in my first post and put them in your thread on RC-Network.de.

Richard
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Oct 2007
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Baron View Post
If found a picture and the full address of the company who has offered the FS-25. It was not not a fully-moulded model. Wingspan was 4140mm.
If this is not fitting to your fuse, you will have an other one that I don't know.
The FS-25 was not offered from several builders, therefor I think it is this one.
Christian
Hey sorry if I'm wrong about seeing a fully-moulded one. I think I still have the magazine covering the event. I'll see if I can dig it out the loft (our loft is pretty well insulated with aeroplane magazines...)

Rog
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:48 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutton Bank View Post
Hi Richard,

If you have anything more than a passing interest in scale gliders, I can whole-heartedly recommend the range of books by Martin Simons. These are beautifully produced comprehensive bibles on sailplanes from the earliest right up to 2000. Pretty sure there's a couple of pages on the FS25 in there. My copies are always to hand by my bedside. We have enough kids now anyway.

I have no connection with Martin other than hoping I grow up to be like him someday.

Cheers,
Rog
Rog,

I have all three volumes of Martin's "Sailplanes" and they also sit at my bedside. I used one of them to ID this model. They are a favorite part of my book collection.

I corresponded with Martin in the '80s before he published "The World's Vintage Sailplanes 1908-1945" in 1986. I had forgotten about this and didn't remember it until I unboxed the book after it had been lost to me since 2003 when I packed it along with all of my other 20,000 lbs. of stuff and moved to my current location in north Texas. It had been in the box for 8 years and when I opened it and started reading through the introduction and into the acknowledgements, I found my name in a line under Paul MacCready's name.

I think I sent Martin a drawing of the Wolf sailplane drawn by Al Cleave, who had made the drawing and had it published in Model Airplane News. I got it from Al when I answered an ad in Soaring magazine where he was selling a bunch of old issues of Soaring along with other related materials including this drawing. He had been a crop duster pilot and was the builder of the Backstrom Flying Plank that is at the EAA Museum. I had to get a bank draft in Australian dollars to mail order the book from the Australian publisher Kookaburra.

No worries about your memories of the FS-25 you saw. It might have been a different airplane and we are all learning new things and having fun talking about ariplanes.

Richard
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:34 PM
Joined Apr 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard N View Post
I got this Akaflieg Stuttgart FS-25 Cuervo fuselage in a bunch of 1/4th scale sailplane parts I bought from southern California couple of years ago. I have identified it as an FS-25 from its distinctive cockpit cutout and necked down tail boom. It is 69.5" (1765.3mm) long and has a maximum depth at the LE of the wing root of 8" (203.2mm) and width of the cockpit area of 4.9" (124.46mm). The wing root chord is 10" (254.0mm)with a thickness of 1.3" (33mm) It has a box for a steel blade wing mounting system and the inside of the box is .46" X .16" (11.68mm X 4mm). Details about the full scale FS-25 are here: http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/akaflieg....php?id=46&L=2

I would appreciate any information anyone could provide about who made this model or leads to where I could find the plans and parts to complete it.

Thanks,

Richard
hi Richard i hve this SAILPLANE MY ADREES MAIL ZURDOWAR@HOTMAIL.COM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
FROM ARGENTINA
zurdowar is offline Find More Posts by zurdowar
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:00 PM
Joined Apr 2014
2 Posts
Name: FS25 CUERVO.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 65.3 KB
Description:
zurdowar is offline Find More Posts by zurdowar
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:02 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,999 Posts
Zurdowar,

Welcome to RC Groups. Very nice airplane.

Could you tell us a little about it?

Did you build it from a kit and if you did, do you happen to have the plans?

Thanks,

Richard