HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,954 Posts
Discussion
What do you do with your old magazines?

Hello all,
I'm relatively new to R/c flying, been doing it for only 7 years. Since i've started i've been getting my steady stream of R/C magazines every month (Model Airplane News, Backyard Flyer, Model Aviation, Etc). Well its finally come to the point where my wife doesn't like seeing a hug pile in the garage. Sooo what do you guys do with your old magazines? I've been clinging on to them thinking "I may need to read an article from march 2002", but do i really? Just looking for some ideas on how to get rid of some of them or should I keep them all, if so where? Thanx

Kyle
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:31 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,495 Posts
Unless there is an article on a project that you plan to build, I have never had the need to go back to an old issue. So I keep mine for as long as I can, and eventually goes to the recycling bin when I run out of room.

I did see some really old RC magazines donated to local library. Maybe that will inspire some future hobbiests?
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:16 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I usually just recycle mine.

But it is nice to donate them. Maybe give them to a kid who's into RC or something...
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:17 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2008
537 Posts
There is also the free items forum in the trade forums, someone might really enjoy them or be looking for specific issues. People pay shipping for the free items or pick them up so there is no shipping.
TacoChuck is offline Find More Posts by TacoChuck
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:30 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Keep them and read them again. I take four with me when I take my son for his guitar lesson and in the half hour I'm sat in the car park I can revisit some of the old articles. The oldest ones I have in current use are all this century but those going back to the 1970's are in storage.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:19 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I take a few to the Barber Shop when I go... Never know, might excite some kid (of any age) to get into the hobby!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:26 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
I read them. Lots of history in the old editions.
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:31 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
I take a few to the Barber Shop when I go... Never know, might excite some kid (of any age) to get into the hobby!
Best idea yet! Drop a few off when you go to the barbers, auto shop or any lounge were magazines lye around.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:48 PM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
844 Posts
It's important to me to re-cycle if possible. I take them to the doctor's and dentist's waiting rooms. You know, the places where people have a LOT of time to kill. I also keep a few issues in my truck so that when somebody comes along while I'm flying and asks questions I can give them a few magazines to take with them.
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg
Old Oct 22, 2008, 08:17 PM
Blue Earth, MN
Joined Nov 2005
205 Posts
My local library has a magazine sharing shelf, where I take mine. I remove the mailing label and then just take them to the library. Sometimes they call when a youg person is looking for a specific airplane magazine. Gary
Meyer56013 is offline Find More Posts by Meyer56013
Old Oct 22, 2008, 08:22 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
I read mine at school and ignore what the teacher says
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Oct 22, 2008, 08:41 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Hm. My magazines go back to 1950, the kids in the club used to read them voraciously, and they still supply lots of information, as well as plans for models I have built, or still want to build...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Oct 22, 2008, 08:46 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,484 Posts
I'm actually kinda looking for somebody to take 20-some years of them off my hands. RCM, FM, MB, MAN.

When I get extra ones now, I take them to the barber shop, doctor, and chiropractor after removing the address label.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:00 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,577 Posts
The only ones worth saving these days are Flying Models and Model Aviation. All the others I took a peek through one last time and clipped anything of interest to me then recycled them. I wish I had access to a scanner with a page feeder, I'd scan them and make them into pdf's.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:39 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
I have donated mine to the local University library and am involved in getting as complete a collection as possible. Thanks to the generosity of some local folks, I'm making good progress. The ultimate goal is to scan them and make them available on-line, but that will have to wait until I get a grant (or marry a rich woman -- not likely at my age) and solve the copyright problems. Maybe some day......

If anyone would like to help, PM me -- I'll send you a list of my want sand duplicates. Interestingly, MAN sent some back issues (and a hat!) free; I have not heard from Flying Models....and RCM's web site shows lots of back issues -- which they don't have!!!.

howell
gwinhh is online now Find More Posts by gwinhh