HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:12 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Swift Nx Spool up Shake!!!!

Hey guys, first post in this thread. I am a new Swift nx owner with three flights on her. The second flight on it the belt loosened up and the thing spun out of control and I crashed. I finally got her all back together, but I went to fly it today and on spool up the swift starting shaking uncontrollably at about half full head speed, the blades struck the ground and broke both plastic blade grips, i'm sure it bent the feathering shaft, etc.... My question is why do these have such a problem with shaking on spool up and spool down. It kind of makes me regret getting this after reading all the reviews and no one having a solution to the problem. I didn't even get it off the ground today after a week of rebuilding from the last crash. It is an affordable heli and that is why I got it but maybe I should have waiting a little longer, saved more dough and got something else? I don't know. I just want to get it flying right. Any ideas? Thanks.
Jeff
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
Jeff, check out post #6 in this thread in the Century forum on Helifreaks.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=454693

There are various things that contribute to and/or amplify that dance...from head speeds, to type of blades, to tightness of blades in their blade holder etc. This meant that some did and some didn't.

But the cure all that I have found, was the suggestion relative to increasing the spacing in the LG struts from the stock 6" or so, to about 8". This you can do simply by heating the struts in the oven while placing something between them to hold them out at an 8" spacing, then allowing to cool completely before removing whatever you used to hold them out at that spacing.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined May 2009
3,471 Posts
Could it be possible something from your first crash went undetected during your rebuild? That is, maybe there was a broken part in the head or a slightly bent shaft somewhere you didn't notice ... ? Or damage to one or both of the blades ... or skids/struts ...

Mine has a little shake on spool up (until the blades find their comfy spots), but nothing ever severe enough like you mentioned. It also shakes a little on spool down, but nothing a little negative pitch doesn't take care of.

Unless you got a defective kit or something .... Disheartening to hear of your problems none the less ...

-John
FR4-Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Nov 07, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
Referring to the link I gave earlier, following that thread, the fellow had used some cheap and real bad C/F blades - following through with it, they seemed to be a major contributor to his problem as seen in this thread.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=456377
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:52 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
You know what... I was using the $18 helidirect 550mm gf blades. How can I chack if the cg is good on the blades before I put them to use? I balanced them but I guess that was not enough....
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
You know what... I was using the $18 helidirect 550mm gf blades. How can I chack if the cg is good on the blades before I put them to use? I balanced them but I guess that was not enough....
I believe those where the same blades the other fellow was using - try some different blades...any $18.00 CF blade would be very suspect IMHO.

I have found even the 520mm Century wood blades that came in my old Swift 16 were better then all of the cheap C/F blades I tried later.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Dec 2007
842 Posts
Quote:
You can buy blade balancers like this one:

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...051&pageid=452

Measuring the spanwise CG is relatively easy. Measuring the chordwise CG is the difficult one, and this is the one that most cheap composite blades get wrong....along with dangerously weak blade roots.

My advise is the same as others - get some decent blades.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:03 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Balancing the blades long ways I did. I have a balancer for that. How can I check the chord balance? What are your guys method? I would like to check all my blades for now on, lol, thanks

Jeff
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:49 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,619 Posts
Well, I have not worked on my scale project,but, I have put 20 something more flights on my 620SE in the last couple of weeks. What a nice flying heli. Here is a pic from a few minutes ago.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Last edited by Greybird; Nov 18, 2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
Well, I have not worked on my scale project,but, I have put 20 something more flights on my 620SE in the last couple of weeks. What a nice flying heli. Here is a pic from a few minutes ago.
Love those canopies!!! What did you use for paint?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
I think he used decals.... I have one very similar that I got from callie graphics
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Hey, Can anyone post a pic of how they have their tail servo mounted on the nx? Just wondering also which way tail servo control arm goes.... Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:52 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,331 Posts
Quote:
I think he used decals.... I have one very similar that I got from callie graphics
Yes Greybird use Graphics from Callie....... she's great!
She did all my Swift "Tribal" graphics plus the MT 325SE and Hirobo Quark

@gs550t1981- in that picture the NX servo arm is up on the tail servo....
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,619 Posts
Yes, Callie Graphics beats trying to paint those "milk jug" plastic canopies.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
354 Posts
"Hey, Can anyone post a pic of how they have their tail servo mounted on the nx? Just wondering also which way tail servo control arm goes.... Thanks"

Here's my installation.

I stretched my gear legs as suggested, it may be better, but it still has some of the shakes. It started hopping around on me during spool down. For me the best thing is just some positive pitch in the blades.

Mike
mligosh is offline Find More Posts by mligosh