HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:48 AM
Joined Jun 2014
29 Posts
Discussion
rudder responsiveness with little dihedral

im almost done building a 1.5m electric glider, but i have only made the wing dihedral 4 degrees total. i realize that this make the rudder less responsive, and i cant change the angle of the wings anymore since they are epoxied together, so i have two questions:

1: will a bigger rudder make it more responsive with such a small dihedral angle?

2: some slope gliders/ aerobatic gliders have no dihedral, what makes the rudder responsive? is it the air speed, a bigger rudder or a combination of both?

here are some specs

span:60in
chord: 6.5in
length: 40in
weight is going to be around 13oz with motor esc etc.
total dihedral angle: 4 degrees
greenlight149 is offline Find More Posts by greenlight149
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:29 AM
Joined Apr 2013
532 Posts
Yes, it's a combination of how fast the air is flowing over the displaced rudder and how large the rudder is.
Just make it bigger in small increments till you feel you have enough control authority.
Control surface sizing questions/issues seem to be coming up a lot lately on this site.
Personally, I'd rather have too much authority than not enough.
nuteman is online now Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:12 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight149 View Post

2: some slope gliders/ aerobatic gliders have no dihedral, what makes the rudder responsive? is it the air speed, a bigger rudder or a combination of both?

.................................................. .
If they have no dihedral, they will be using ailerons in combination with elevator to turn. Rudder can be used with ailerons to try and get a flatter turn.

Go for a big rudder with that reduced dihedral. You can always reduce the amount of throw if you feel it is over controlling, (yawing).
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:15 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
A Taller rudder is more effective in causing “roll".. rather than just deflecting the tail ...that may help ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:03 PM
Joined Jun 2014
29 Posts
I'll make the rudder bigger and if that doesn't work I'll have to make the wing a polyhedral...
greenlight149 is offline Find More Posts by greenlight149
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:02 AM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2012
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
A Taller rudder is more effective in causing “roll".. rather than just deflecting the tail ...that may help ...
Which is why many rudders have more area toward the bottom ......so that they don't
Induce roll the wrong way Keeping the weight as low as possible will help with the turning
hiko is offline Find More Posts by hiko
Last edited by hiko; Jul 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM.