HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2014, 08:52 PM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Build Log
Dumas Aeronca C-3 40" build up

"The flying bath tub" About 40 hours total build time , direct drive brushless 2s , 15 minute flights or more, added custom ailerons and hidden micro servos, all respect goes to a local scratch builder Micheal Sterling of Dallas Fort Worth, Texas. Please feel free to ask questions or promote possitive feedback, thanks for looking! Help keep American history alive and build a golden age classic today. Once dubbed the ugliest plane in the sky it was the 1st general aviation plane available and popular for public use, starting in 1931.
GoldenAgeFlier is offline Find More Posts by GoldenAgeFlier
Last edited by GoldenAgeFlier; Feb 05, 2014 at 09:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2014, 06:37 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,402 Posts
She's a beauty !

The Golden Age is my preferred area of interest, too. I usually build larger models, but something like this would be a pleasant addition to my fleet.

What other Golden Age aircraft do you have ?

My current project is a Ryan Brougham.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 06, 2014, 11:30 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,013 Posts
Nice!

It looks a lot like the C-3 at the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum in Hood River, Oregon: http://www.waaamuseum.org/collection...01-Aeronca-C-3

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Feb 07, 2014, 02:11 AM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
I have always loved the golden age era other than a c-7 , I had a little tony pylon racer 1970 , possibly a large scale c-3 in the works or a 1946 Capitol models "flamingo" if I can dig the plans out from somewhere. Bill Hemple of futaba has some nice large scale stuff too , choices choices ha ha! I had this C-3 built to pay tribute to my grandfather who got me into all this hobby stuff, gone a few years now but always close to my heart, he had always been fascinated by anything that flew, took me everywhere to see them fly or sometimes crash haha.
Last edited by GoldenAgeFlier; Feb 07, 2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2014, 05:35 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAgeFlier View Post
I have always loved the golden age era other than a c-7 , I had a little tony pylon racer 1970 , possibly a large scale c-3 in the works or a 1946 Capitol models "flamingo" if I can dig the plans out from somewhere. Bill Hemple of futaba has some nice large scale stuff too , choices choices ha ha! I had this C-3 built to pay tribute to my grandfather who got me into all this hobby stuff, gone a few years now but always close to my heart, he had always been fascinated by anything that flew, took me everywhere to see them fly or sometimes crash haha.
You peeked my interest, and I located the three views in the Scale Drawings forum. We'll see where that takes me.

I'm building the Ryan from three views, so I already have enough info to build the C-3.

Now, it's just a matter of time and money. LOL
Old Feb 07, 2014, 07:52 AM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
You peeked my interest, and I located the three views in the Scale Drawings forum. We'll see where that takes me.

I'm building the Ryan from three views, so I already have enough info to build the C-3.

Now, it's just a matter of time and money. LOL
Best of luck to you on your next build and if you want some drool material look at Paolo Severin @
Www.paoloseverin.it for truly epic and expensive kits lol or www.clevelandairline.com for plans
Old Feb 07, 2014, 08:05 AM
Lincoln, UK
Joined Jun 2005
609 Posts
Gorgeous model! I really like the bracing wire detail, it looks very convincing.
Pete1978 is offline Find More Posts by Pete1978
Old Feb 07, 2014, 08:11 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAgeFlier View Post
Best of luck to you on your next build and if you want some drool material look at Paolo Severin @
Www.paoloseverin.it for truly epic and expensive kits lol or www.clevelandairline.com for plans
I looked at it last night, while doing a little research. It's beautiful, but a little (little ?) out of my price range.

I was thinking about something in the 80" range, and maybe giving electric power a shot.

I visit this area of the Groups to see the excellent models you guys are building, but I know zip about electric propulsion.

I have a Alien Aircraft Taylorcraft, that I plan to build after my Ryan. We'll se how that goes, and move from there. http://www.flyrc.com/index.php/alien...ylorcraft-kit/
Old Feb 07, 2014, 11:04 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,170 Posts
I want to chime in here..
We are waiting for a day to fly the C3, but I already know it is going to be nice.
This 40" plane is only 6.7 oz with battery!
My EFlight Grasshopper arf of the same size is 50% heavier and floats nicely.

Here is the gear..

HK 2211-2300kv 17g. motor/GWS 7x3.5"
Hk 3.7g analog servos (4)
HK Plush 10 esc (9g.)
Lemon micro rx 6ch (2g.)
370-460mah Nanotech 7.4v
Coverlight synthetic tissue covering.

I used c/a glue in the construction, and "foam cure" to stick on windows.

We should have maiden vid soon...
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Feb 07, 2014, 11:15 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,170 Posts
Here..
Old Feb 07, 2014, 11:16 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,170 Posts
Old Feb 07, 2014, 04:14 PM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1978 View Post
Gorgeous model! I really like the bracing wire detail, it looks very convincing.
Thank you Pete! Cheers!
Old Feb 07, 2014, 04:32 PM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
I want to chime in here..
We are waiting for a day to fly the C3, but I already know it is going to be nice.
This 40" plane is only 6.7 oz with battery!
My EFlight Grasshopper arf of the same size is 50% heavier and floats nicely.

Here is the gear..

HK 2211-2300kv 17g. motor/GWS 7x3.5"
Hk 3.7g analog servos (4)
HK Plush 10 esc (9g.)
Lemon micro rx 6ch (2g.)
370-460mah Nanotech 7.4v
Coverlight synthetic tissue covering.

I used c/a glue in the construction, and "foam cure" to stick on windows.

We should have maiden vid soon...
Thanks for joining us Micheal and thanks again for everything, ps Mike is pictured with the plane at the end of the build photo group.
Old Feb 07, 2014, 05:18 PM
Olympia, WA USA
Joined May 2001
188 Posts
Dumas Aeronca

GAF...

That's a nice first-model Aeronca C-3 conversion. As an old-timer myself, I'm always pleased to find out that I'm not the only one around who remembers what balsa wood is for.

I'm currently working on a 30" Dumas kit rubber-to-electric conversion myself ...please have a look at http://www.rcmodel.com/category/duma...-4-conversion/

There are some other interesting model building projects on the website as well.

Good luck with the maiden,

Bob Benjamin
Bob Benjamin is offline Find More Posts by Bob Benjamin
Old Feb 23, 2014, 09:16 PM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Maiden flight video short is here gentlemen!
Dumas C-3 40" with ailerons , windy maiden! (4 min 2 sec)