SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2013
50 Posts
Discussion
Coke Bottle Fuel Tank

Just like you folks I find it hard to find a tank to fit my ARF's so I opted for a plastic coke bottle.
I have had one in an Extra 330 for 3 years
and so far the bottle, lid and seal don't seem to have been affected by the fuel.

You can roughly shape it with a hot air gun which helps it fit between the formers.
For the lid I drilled three holes in a brass bolt and silver soldered the fuel tubes into that, then drilled out the coke lid for the fitting, Make sure it is seals though

Dave
slagbag is offline Find More Posts by slagbag
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:48 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
503 Posts
Uh-oh, Slagbag........Don't say silver solder in this forum. I learned a lot about soldering from the replies. One of the things I learned is that like you, I called it silver soldering generically when technically it isn't. I like the idea of a coke bottle fuel tank though. I always thought a rounded bottom fuel tank would be better for picking up fuel, as opposed to a flat bottom tank. Thanks for the idea!
Martin5465 is offline Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:45 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,323 Posts
Plastic water bottle tanks are almost standard in gassers. The preferred bottles are the square Fiji bottles. That makes them easier to secure. A few companies offer stopper kits for water bottles.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Apr 29, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Mar 2013
503 Posts
But wouldn't a rounded bottom tank be better for picking up fuel and not air as the fuel level dropped? The fuel level wouldn't have to be as deep as in a flat bottom tank. As far as mounting it, a cradle could easily be fabricated to hold the tank. Feel free to comment if you think I'm off-base on this.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 01:25 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,323 Posts
If you fly your tank down to the last drop a round tank might give you a bit less sputtering before it runs out. Gassers often use felt clunks so there are no bubbles anyway until the tank is completely empty. A regular clunk completely empties the rectangular tanks I use on my test bench.

Greg
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:31 AM
Joined Mar 2013
50 Posts
Marty and Greg thanks for looking. As for round v square I would have to say round would be the most efficient, But what if you added a Wick to suck the last drop
slagbag is offline Find More Posts by slagbag
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:03 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,323 Posts
The felt clunk I mentioned is a "wick".

Greg
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Mar 2013
503 Posts
gkam, I never heard of a felt wick type clunk.....who would have such a thing? My thinking on the round bottom tank is that you wouldn't need so much "unusable" fuel just to keep the clunk submerged, or maybe I'm just being paranoid about it sucking air.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:51 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,323 Posts
There are two types of "bubbleless" clunks. There are the sintered variety used in glow engines, due to the use of castor oil in the fuel, and the felt type used in many utility engines(chainsaws, weedeaters).

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXF25&P=ML

http://www.amazon.com/Oem-Fuel-Filte.../dp/B001OK8MJG

Greg
Old May 01, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Mar 2013
503 Posts
gkam, Thanks!
Old May 02, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Mar 2013