SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:48 AM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
Discussion
Red Epic flying on Hoverfly Erista

Hoverfly Erista flying Epic Red at Under Armour (2 min 19 sec)
photronix is offline Find More Posts by photronix
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
Ummm, where's the footage from the RED?

All I see at the beginning is something that says GoPro 3 on a Venu, whatever that is, and then unstable video of a larger multi that can barely be seen
FourProps is offline Find More Posts by FourProps
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:22 AM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photronix View Post
Hi Al,

Thats pretty cool!! and i cant wait to see the footage whenever its released. I shot the owner of Under Armour ranch out in colorado a couple years ago and ever since then ive been wearing their stuff.

Hope everything is going great!!!
Bill
Got Aerial llc.
wac is offline Find More Posts by wac
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:34 AM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourProps View Post
Ummm, where's the footage from the RED?

All I see at the beginning is something that says GoPro 3 on a Venu, whatever that is, and then unstable video of a larger multi that can barely be seen
In my experience (www.gotaerial.com) with a huge client like Under Armour, they would never allow you to release the production footage until the actual production product has been released, if ever.

Im glad they allowed Al to show the behind the scene and I would of love to been the 2nd pilot on the gopro ship
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac View Post
In my experience (www.gotaerial.com) with a huge client like Under Armour, they would never allow you to release the production footage until the actual production product has been released, if ever.

Im glad they allowed Al to show the behind the scene and I would of love to been the 2nd pilot on the gopro ship
Pointless post then, doesn't show anything useful about the capability of the multi and from what little can actually be seen of it it could be carrying a brick and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If its meant to show that an Erista can carry a RED thats not anything earth shattering there are other large multis out there that are already doing that and theres nothing special about a rebranded Droidworx frame doing it either.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:39 AM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Pointless post then, doesn't show anything useful about the capability of the multi and from what little can actually be seen of it it could be carrying a brick and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If its meant to show that an Erista can carry a RED thats not anything earth shattering there are other large multis out there that are already doing that and theres nothing special about a rebranded Droidworx frame doing it either.
It might be pointless to you but not to me. This video shows the capability of flying around a EPIC which i have also done with a Hoverfly FCB. Let me ask you this, if you were asked to lift an epic, which FCB would you want to use, Hoverfly, DJI or MK? I know and have pretty much all FCB's and Hoverfly is the most solid as far as a safe and reliability and dammm is it so smoooothhhhh

Now with all that said, last time i check the GPS still needed a little work but i could be wrong and its now perfect..

Al is the president of Hoverfly which creates simply the best FCB on the market! I have yet to see the competitors best FCB keep up with even the Sport board from Hoverfly. Check out this video
FPV Speed Racer Quad - Tree Top Racing (8 min 21 sec)
Last edited by wac; Feb 02, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:26 AM
Joined May 2011
11 Posts
You mean which F/C do I use? MK and DJI Wookong-M on Cinestar and Droidworx frames.

I've owned and flown H/F, neither the autolevel or altitude hold can compare to either Mk or DJI, nothing like paying for capabilites on the Hoverfly that don't work right eh?

And how long have they been working on those features and they're still not 100% reliable? ... and in my experience the H/F is neither safe nor reliable, it was anything but that and I can refer you to numerous online postings from a lot of different people that will back that up, some of them even H/F fan boys like yourself.

Again the video is pointless, lets see what the camera is seeing if you really want to promote a product, not some wobbly remote recording from a GoPro that shows no detail at all.

There are plenty of videos out there with REDs flying under MK and DJI that DO show the camera point of view, that means more to me because it actually shows the stability of the flight controller.

I've also flown a sport board, the Open Pilot CC3D will fly circles around it, nothing special there but at least that one works as advertised. As far as videos, just search youtube for anything by Warthox or Juz and you'll see them fly a broad spectrum of varied flight controllers that will outperform the Sport. Odd but I don't recall seeing one of them flying an H/F Sport in any of their videos...
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:31 AM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
How about some close up pictures of the rig? Sorry to say that Gopro footage isn't all that great.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:49 AM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Quote:
You mean which F/C do I use? MK and DJI Wookong-M on Cinestar and Droidworx frames.

I've owned and flown H/F, neither the autolevel or altitude hold can compare to either Mk or DJI, nothing like paying for capabilites on the Hoverfly that don't work right eh?

And how long have they been working on those features and they're still not 100% reliable? ... and in my experience the H/F is neither safe nor reliable, it was anything but that and I can refer you to numerous online postings from a lot of different people that will back that up, some of them even H/F fan boys like yourself.

Again the video is pointless, lets see what the camera is seeing if you really want to promote a product, not some wobbly remote recording from a GoPro that shows no detail at all.

There are plenty of videos out there with REDs flying under MK and DJI that DO show the camera point of view, that means more to me because it actually shows the stability of the flight controller.

I've also flown a sport board, the Open Pilot CC3D will fly circles around it, nothing special there but at least that one works as advertised. As far as videos, just search youtube for anything by Warthox or Juz and you'll see them fly a broad spectrum of varied flight controllers that will outperform the Sport. Odd but I don't recall seeing one of them flying an H/F Sport in any of their videos...
I think we can just agree to disagree since our flying styles are different and the usefulness of such features ive never found to add production value. Every producer ive worked with wants movement and the operator should be able to provide those capabilities and utilize those advanced features only when absolutely necessary.

Ive been providing ap and av services for nearly 10years and to honest with you, Ive never found AL or AH have ever been a useful tool for providing a client a shot. For safety reason i do find PH and RTH a necessary tool

I would agree that the GoPro footage could of been better but obviously they were not focused on filming behind the scene. Thats almost 100k flying in the sky and at least the ship is out in the field doing something.

Also it looks like there was a production camera that was filming the ship, maybe Al can get that footage
Last edited by wac; Feb 02, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:57 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
Have you flown MK and WKM, if not it may be worth a try? I've flown and own all 3 and although I'd love HF to be number one it would be my last choice of the three especially with the firmware mess when they launched their GPS board. It was months before my board was usable again and I just moved on. On WKM I find the POI feature very helpful when doing a 1 man operation. I like that I can have the copter fly a circled point of interest and then control the camera while the copter is flying its pattern. Although now I mainly do up close industrial inspections which the GPS on the WKM has proven to be best so far. I can get with in 6' of an object and not worry about bumping in, I use a sonic sensor that overlays in my OSD just to make sure but havent had a problem yet in 7 - 8 meters/s winds.

The smooth height hold of the WKM and MK are what do it for me when shooting video. HFP especially in windy conditions you need to fight the throttle a little more, you can still get the same result but requires a lot more work and focus.

Either way I'd love to see more advancement from HFP in their FC. They are a great bunch of people.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dolby; Feb 02, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:22 AM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Have you flown MK and WKM, if not it may be worth a try? I've flown and own all 3 and although I'd love HF to be number one it would be my last choice of the three especially with the firmware mess when they launched their GPS board. It was months before my board was usable again and I just moved on. On WKM I find the POI feature very helpful when doing a 1 man operation. I like that I can have the copter fly a circled point of interest and then control the camera while the copter is flying its pattern. Although now I mainly do up close industrial inspections which the GPS on the WKM has proven to be best so far. I can get with in 6' of an object and not worry about bumping in, I use a sonic sensor that overlays in my OSD just to make sure but havent had a problem yet in 7 - 8 meters/s winds.

The smooth height hold of the WKM and MK are what do it for me when shooting video. HFP especially in windy conditions you need to fight the throttle a little more, you can still get the same result but requires a lot more work and focus.

Either way I'd love to see more advancement from HFP in their FC. They are a great bunch of people.
Yes, I have flown them all and as far as actual production filming the hoverfly FCB provides the smoothest video out of them all, in my experience. Take a look at my demo reel if you would like to see why i feel this way.

Take Golf Courses for example, when flying down an entire hole for production use, it need to be nearly in real time therefor the multi needs to fly fast and the hoverfly is the only one ive used and seen that can perform that task.
Im not saying that at this moment in time Hoverfly has everything working better then everyone else but simply saying that for actual production use, its the best, in my option.

There is obviously no reason to argue on what our personal feelings are along with different flying styles and we can simply agree to disagree on this matter.

Sorry to clutter your thread Al and congratulations!
wac
2012 Aerial Demo Reel " THE ART of FLYING " by Got Aerial llc (4 min 10 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:43 PM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
The GoPro3 video is all I have been authorized to show. Shaky? I guess I should start using post-stabilization before posting here again. The video is just raw from the camera that is mounted with roll compensation only. It's kind of my testing quad I brought with me.

Here is more video we took today. The red square is my 12lb test brick that we use before we ship one of our Erista systems to a customer.

Yes the frame is a Skyjib...the model is an Erista.

Hoverfly Erista w/ 12lb payload (1 min 16 sec)
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:50 PM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
Hoverfly Erista with 17lb payload! (1 min 56 sec)