HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Superbobik
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
Discussion
WE Technical Service plans

hello,
if someone met with WE Technical Service plans?
What is your opinion? Request information please.

regards
superbobik
SUPERBOBIK is offline Find More Posts by SUPERBOBIK
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:09 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERBOBIK View Post
hello,
if someone met with WE Technical Service plans?
What is your opinion? Request information please.

regards
superbobik
They are very "old school" designs, intended for those who like to build. They are not CAD designs, although most of them have been laser cut, if you want an easier to build kit and not just plans. They are more balsa-intensive (i.e. heavier) than some more modern designs. I personally like most of them, but that's just me.

W.E. is the late Bill Effinger, owner and kit engineer for the old Berkeley Models kits of bygone days. I built several of them as a kid, and they all flew well, but not light by any means.

http://004edc4.netsolhost.com/BAWET/...l_Effinger.htm
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Last edited by GeoffinIN; Dec 22, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:54 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,543 Posts
Hi,
This is just to say Thanks to you two gentlemen.
I didn't know this site/plans facility existed and it's exactly the kind of stuff I love.
Real aeromodelling Great stuff!
Thanks!
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:10 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,243 Posts
C'est mon plaisir!

Geoff (Franšais cassÚ)
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,176 Posts
Hello, WE Technical Services was run by William E. Effinger who founded Berkeley Models in 1931 and went bankrupt in 1961. The company was sold to Fox Manufacturing and then to SIG who I think still hold the rights of Berkeley models. They even put out some modified Berkeley designs. WE Technical had some Berkeley kit designs but were highly modified and made simpler. Berkeley was never noted for easy models to make. On the contrary, they were very complicated but flew very well. It would be better for you to check up either Hippocket aeronautics or Outerzone, Both have a nice long list of Berkeley plans available for download and thank God are not CAD. And balsa models are ALWAYS better, lighter and they have the advantage of easy repairing. As Guillow states on their kits "Balsa Flies Better"!!

Happy new year for all you guys with lots of soft landings from Colombia!!!
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:58 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,243 Posts
Edubaraca, I do not think that any of the WE Technical designs are on Outerzone or Hip Pocket Aeronautics. I think they are the Berkeley kit plans. If they are WE designs, please show me where!

In communication with Bill Effinger when he was still alive he told me that he had redone the designs to be built from plans, and not from a kit, so there were many changes to them. They were mostly done in the 1980s, before electric power was common, so are heavier than modern plans designed for electric power only.

Most of the Berkeley kit designs were not Bill Effinger's own designs. He only designed the kits. But whether a Berkeley kit or a WE Technical plan, they make very good flying models!

What WE designs do you plan to build, Superbobik?

A prosperous and healthy new year to you all!

Geoff
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
Superbobik
Joined Jun 2012
43 Posts
Hi,
Thank you all for your replies.My friend in the U.S. built a Waco SRE from WE Technical plans.This is a very nice model.
I think to build a Monocoupe 90A but in scale of 1 to 6
WE Technical offers only a scale of 1 to 5.For me, a little too big.

John
SUPERBOBIK is offline Find More Posts by SUPERBOBIK
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffinIN View Post
Edubaraca, I do not think that any of the WE Technical designs are on Outerzone or Hip Pocket Aeronautics. I think they are the Berkeley kit plans. If they are WE designs, please show me where!

In communication with Bill Effinger when he was still alive he told me that he had redone the designs to be built from plans, and not from a kit, so there were many changes to them. They were mostly done in the 1980s, before electric power was common, so are heavier than modern plans designed for electric power only.

Most of the Berkeley kit designs were not Bill Effinger's own designs. He only designed the kits. But whether a Berkeley kit or a WE Technical plan, they make very good flying models!

What WE designs do you plan to build, Superbobik?

A prosperous and healthy new year to you all!

Geoff
Hello, I never said that Outerzone or Hippocket had WE plans. I clearly stated that they have only Berkeley kit plans.

The nice thing about Mr. Effinger is, as you say, that he did not design most of his kits. He contracted famous modellers like Hank Struck, Paul Del Gatto, Don McGovern and others to that job. As you say he only engineered de designs for kit production.

I have the WE Cessna 170 plan based on Hank Struck's famous kit. The modified WE plan showed a rather poorly drawn model. I do prefer the original Berkeley plan. I still prefer glow engines to electrics but that's another story. I think all Berkeley models can be lightened up. As a matter of fact. I fly at 3000 meters above sea level and I always make light models. And finally, not all WE designs were taken from Berkeley kits. Some were from other people's designs.
Greetings,

Eduardo
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:03 AM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Mar 2003
310 Posts
I realize this thread is several weeks old, but...

I bought a set of plans from W.E. Technical Services about 15 years ago.(Waco SRE, 50+") In my opinion, the plans per se were just "OK", but the design of the model was, as others have pointed out, not exactly "state of the art" It might have been built into a satisfactory control-line model (you could fly a dead cat on control-lines) but for any kind of R/C, the model was terribly overbuilt/overengineered. It was as if the designer were more interested in drawing for drawing's sake, than if what he was drawing would serve it's intended purpose. Which in this case, was to fly.

After much consideration, I realized that the model would require a complete re-design to meet my standards, and that only the basic outlines would survive intact. I tossed the plans a few days after I got them...
Ojimy is offline Find More Posts by Ojimy