SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2014, 11:34 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
Conversion to TA152C

My TA152H has had nearly 60 flights, mostly 5 minutes of so and is looking a bit tatty round the edges, so for that reason I've stripped off the covering from the wings and much of the fuselage.

I've long wanted to reduce the wingspan to the "C" version, and a trip to Canada with models in boxes for the May Chilliwack fly-in has provided the incentive - it will go in a smaller box!

Pictures and details soon.

BTW, I originally designed the model for 2 cells but have found that the motor, prop and SC can cope with a 3 cell pack and of course is a lot quicker in the air...far too quick for scale speed, I suspect...but fun.

More later,

Mike
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2014, 05:04 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
I'm well into the conversion now, as you can see.

Apart from the wingspan, there are a few minor changes to be made. The supercharger scoop goes on the port side and the colour scheme and decals will make a big difference to the look of the model. The undersurface grey extends right up to the top third of the fuselage. The exhaust staining is very noticeable on the prototype.

Covering will be silver litespan, then spray with Tamiya colours.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 05:22 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
I still find Litespan a challenge even after 20 years of using it. This time the sheeted parts were much better (always paint Balsaloc on the sheeted parts as well as the Litespan) but the wings are not so good with quite a few chord-wise wrinkles. Ah well!

Painting next, then some new markings.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:34 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
And she flies!

I was a little concerned that the long-wing version's easy flight pattern and trouble-free handling might be compromised by the loss of wing area, but the moment I launched, it was obvious from the solid feel, dead straight climb-out and sweet response to the TX that she was a classic. Gone was the slightly "powered glider" feel, in was a ground-attack fighter.

Just the wings to paint and the markings to put on - once again supplied by Tim Calvert at modelmarking.com

Thanks to Trevor for the photos - using my past-its-best camera he did pretty well!

Thanks also to Al Lidberg for a first class design and excellent kitting - even if mine is not a free flight rubber job
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:06 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,983 Posts
Interesting build.
I 've found thin Doculam as a decent substitute for Litespan.
No it doesn't shrink much more but at least it's self adhesive and has a rubbery-ness that's useful in getting those unexpected wrinkles out.
Very inexpensive to buy ~500 ft rolls for same $ as a very few sheets of Litespan A small caveat in that there are dozens of varieties sold, many of which are significantly different.
A plethora of possibilities, to wade through.
Need test samples to find one that suits individual needs/expectations.

Bit surprised at the 9 ounces weight.
I would have guessed 6/7 for a FF model based build.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:57 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
Yes, 9 oz flying weight. Actually it's fine, and allows the model to fly with authority in the breezes we get in this part of the UK. It is slightly bigger than the average FF to RC Guillows conversion and I was not trying for light weight especially. I suppose a couple of oz might be trimmed off with smaller gear, lighter balsa, less paint etc etc, but this is a resilient model with excellent flying characteristics - what more could one ask!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:05 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,920 Posts
Still the sweetest looking aircraft! *Sigh*

And, I'm glad the weather is starting to cooperate for us both.
David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2014, 02:42 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
Hi David,

What are you building at the moment? I have temprarily abandoned small models for a 100" Short "Golden Hind" seaplane which has burned a deep hole in my budget!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 09:54 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,663 Posts
Looks great, Mike! Congratulations on the "re-maiden". One niggle from your photos though, is it just me or does your hatch look like it's trying to "depart"?

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:12 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Looks great, Mike! Congratulations on the "re-maiden". One niggle from your photos though, is it just me or does your hatch look like it's trying to "depart"?

Steve
Well spotted! I was not aware of it during the flight and it was still in place at the end...but me and hatches don't have a good record I have searched for them in two continents and on many fields and in many hedges. I must get a grip! But this one has never let go, I have to say.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 08:03 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike View Post
What are you building at the moment?
I have two builds on hold, for they became somewhat of a challenge and I weary of challenges.

Nevertheless, wanting the satisfaction, I've recently started a RC-conversion of a Stinson 125 Voyager rubber ff. It's traditional stick/truss construction and I expect no real difficulty. I did enlarge the plan from 31- to 36-inches and am building light, as I have servos/motor/ESC on hand for that size of plane.

I've reduced my RCGroups participation as part of an overall effort to reduce drama in my life. With the exception of my "Flight Magazine" thread in the scale views forum, I speak to just a few friends' threads, including yours.

david
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:46 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
I took the little 152-C to Chilliwack BC for the fly-in and to meet up with all my Canadian and American friends once again. You can see pictures of the model on the Team Tracon website (as well as some of my ill-fated Twin Otter - the 50" depron one, not the very smart 80" one!)

The -C attracted some comment such as "I'm sure the real one had long wings" but it amazed many with the very quiet motor and it's superb flying characteristics.

Beverly and Sam's photos make it look rather better than it is in the wood and litespan after a total of 80 flights in it's life
Old Jun 24, 2014, 04:07 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
Well, I did have lots of fun at Chilliwack and here are some of the photos. It's not easy to catch a small quite fast model so beautifully as Sam and Beverly did, but here are a couple of their photos to prove it can be done. The new short wing C-type flies really well and last Saturday it won the limbo event at our club on it's 82nd flight!
Old Jul 01, 2014, 07:46 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Very nice, Mike, very nice indeed.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737