SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Discussion
winter group build

I'd love to build something for Nostalgia....would be cool to choose something of Ray's and do a group build over the winter....whats your fav. Nostalgia design? "Challenger" seems to be a popular/competitive choice...http://www.skybench.com/images/rcsail/raychal.jpg
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1
Last edited by Mr Smith1; Sep 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:50 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
157 Posts
I agree Challenger looks really neat. I have been interested in them recently as I like the idea of programing flaperons on a woody. Would that be a legal in a Nostalgia contest (just curiosity as I do not fly in competition anyway)? I don't see a lot of talk about them so I wonder if there is a reason (difficult build?). TBH all of the Skybench kits look nice.
Fickle flier is offline Find More Posts by Fickle flier
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,592 Posts
Do I really have to come out and say it?
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:05 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
What was that LV? Paragon....Paragon...PARAGON!!!!!

I've pretty much got my building projects decided on provided I can get my building area set up in time. To start I'll be doing a Mirage from a short kit but will be making some major mods to it.

Pretty much any of Rays kits would make for a good group build. All are great fliers and none are overly difficult to build if you've got a couple of builds under your belt already.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:29 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
I'm in if you do the Paragon. I have been planning on doing one soon.
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:47 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,196 Posts
Skybench Viking

This is a bad thread for me, i like everything and have very little self control when it comes to balsa glider models.

That said i like the offerings suggested so far but do have one Skybench kit to nominate -

What Skybench (excepting Mirage) products i like but have concerns for me (and none regarding kit design or quality what so ever !) -
1) Challenger - a real heavyweight @ 85+ oz - but i fly in relatively calm conditions- if i lived in windy Tx it would be great
2) Paragon - Seen em, like em, would have no problem building one - i do moderate concern about 12v winch and spar survival strength = spar strength add-ons ?
3) Mirage - i love the idea, a gasbag that should be able to penetrate into the wind with the semi-symetrical airfoil( even have the short kit and lumber but was going to build for ALES - as is...) - but again a design for 6v winch and maybe needing upgrades for 12v winch spar design= more build time... .

4) Ok, So the Viking makes the "Buy then Build Button" impulse for me.

Two different airfoils to choose from, double wing rod/fuse joiner, low square foot per oz. loading-
Cut+Paste from web site -
" A couple of the main reasons for the designs success was the large wing area and light wing loading. The wing proved to be very strong and should have no problems with todays 12V winches, back in the good ol'e days, we used 6 volt winch batteries and smaller test tow line. Sky Bench includes some tips and parts to strengthen the fuse weak spots, just in front of the fin and wing.

Features we are proud to present in this kit are the laser cut fuse parts with TAB-SLOT construction for quick accurate building and superbly laser cut wing ribs that will make this kit a joy to build. The kit is furnished with all hardware, wood, original construction plans and instructions. Two Sky Bench Case Hardened Tool Steel Wing Rods, 5/16" diameter, are furnished.
..."

I like everything and am finishing up a ales Ultra Mk4 kit from 1989 right now - Its all good for me.

best wishes, js
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Sep 21, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:15 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,969 Posts
The Challenger looks nice and perhaps it's name give a hint on it's build.

Viking as MK II looks nice.

And just where is this Midway Models Ultra Mk4 ales build?
My prime kit is still sitting for ALES consideration.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:19 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,196 Posts

Another way to do a build-off not based on one NOS model -
The OldTimer gassers and Scale build-offs do their build is by theme, or designer, or a type of plane (a biplane and/or before 1930, etc).
So criteria could be a NOS Rc glider model, should (not must!) be a kit, need to show build photos, flown at least once by X date 2013, and perhaps wrap it up with a postal fly event on Y date 2013.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:27 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,196 Posts
i have given myself a date

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
The Challenger looks nice and perhaps it's name give a hint on it's build.Viking as MK II looks nice.And just where is this Midway Models Ultra Mk4 ales build?My prime kit is still sitting for ALES consideration.
Jared
Hi Jared, my apologise if i mislead you - there is no group build .
The MidwayModels kit is way out of production and now your the 3rd or 4 person i know of who has or seen or knows of it.
I am planning on finishing it and flying by Oct 1. As it is today the wings are done, tail feathers done, internals done and now ready to cover it and load up last of the electrical stuff. Its flying weight should be about 26oz as best i can estimate which is pretty good for what it is.
take care, john s.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Hmmmm, Viking....I like that, what about the Cloud Bound, that is wood-sexy, but how does it fly? Name: cloudb.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 47.3 KB
Description: (I really want the Windfree XL that Ray is hiding for himself, maybe we can jar it off his shelf and trace copies)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Beta test group build of the Windfree XL!

I also like the way the Cloud Bound looks.
Last edited by UberZogster; Sep 21, 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Added the bit about Cloud Bound
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:59 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,969 Posts
Nah, no mislead.
26oz is more then pretty good.
New and flew with Bob for years back in the 80's and visited his shop now and then.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:03 PM
Thermals are cool.........
meridian, idaho
Joined Sep 2005
331 Posts
winter build

This year I'm going to build a Bird of Time Canard electric glider. My glider will have ailerons, rudder, canard and airbrakes. It has all drela airfoils. I have a buddy who is building a Bird of Time with a pod and boom Fuse with drela airfoils. The plan is for the ALES competition stuff but they would make a great non electric glider. It has the oldschool look.....
bluefork is offline Find More Posts by bluefork
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
I usually hang out in the "getting a woodie" discussion...I posted the question there also....I add "Everyone should have a unique Nostalgia glider added to the stable for 2013...life's too short, let's build something cool-looking together" I like the looks of structure under transparent covering....
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
The canard BOT looks pretty cool. Looking forward to a build log.