HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2001, 09:51 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2000
1,314 Posts
How long do you want the wires on the pack to be?

I feel that my battery packs made by my distributor is good but the wire is something I want to change. They use 14awg which is suitable for most eflight stuff but NOT flexible. I am willing to send in my own wire for them to use to ensure the packs are made with the best quality. So, how long do you want the wires to be? I'm open to opinions. Prices of packs do not change.

P.S. I think 4" should be enough, right?

[This message has been edited by rcdude (edited 04-26-2001).]
rcdude is offline Find More Posts by rcdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2001, 10:31 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
as long as they need to be.
Your much better off learning how to solder so you can make your own packs, and make your own modifications. Its really very easy.
For battery packs though, you'll need atleast a 40watt iron.
If you can find a big head 100watt iron, thats perfect, or a nice Weller soldering station gets hot enough to do a very good job. Another thing, I dont care who makes your packs, SR, Or wattage, the only way to get top quality packs is to make your own.
Even the best packs you can buy still use cheap spot welded straps.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Apr 26, 2001, 11:48 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Glad you are thinking about these things. I hate that stiff (junk, oops not PC) wire that comes with cheap packs. Four inches sounds pretty good. I would rather have enough wire to shorten, then need 1" more. Be sure to get a very high strand count wire, with the good (thick and soft)insulation.

Dave
(are you buying ad space yet? )
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Apr 27, 2001, 12:25 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2000
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daveairway:
(are you buying ad space yet? )
I'll advertise on ezone as soon as I get some pics of my planes flying, edit with Photoshop and use it as the banner.

Ok, the packs will come with 4" wire, high strands and high quality wires.
Old Apr 27, 2001, 01:42 AM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcdude:

Ok, the packs will come with 4" wire, high strands and high quality wires.
That sounds like a good move to me. You may want to see if more people prefer another length.

Also, like your Ezone Locator. What a great idea.

Dave,

PS: Reading my post, then yours, I hope we did not get crossed up here. I do not sell ad space, nor was I meaning to suggest that you should have a banner.

[This message has been edited by Daveairway (edited 04-27-2001).]
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Apr 27, 2001, 01:55 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2000
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daveairway:
PS: Reading my post, then yours, I hope we did not get crossed up here. I do not sell ad space, nor was I meaning to suggest that you should have.
No no, not at all. I have always like Ezone and will stay with Ezone until the day I die (or quit the hobby, whichever comes first ).

Regarding the Ezoner Locator, I did not conceive the idea of it at all; hence, I can't claim credit. I saw some one posted a link to someone else's site that had people email the guy to post their info on his site. Obviously, that guy gets a lot of email and a lot of html writing to do. So Ezoner Locator was created to mimick what he did, only this time, I used a database to store people's info and Active Server Page to interface with HTML. Currently, there are 149 people who have signed up. Hopefully, Jim will make an announcement to get more people sign up, making it more effective.
Old Apr 27, 2001, 01:32 PM
Baden Baden, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
1,059 Posts
I solder my connectors directly to the pack without wires. A lot of my friends also do the same and that is why we do not buy packs. We get the cells and make the packs ourself.

Eike
http://www.schunternet.de/~eike/
plinse is offline Find More Posts by plinse
Old Apr 27, 2001, 05:20 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2000
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plinse:
I solder my connectors directly to the pack without wires. A lot of my friends also do the same and that is why we do not buy packs. We get the cells and make the packs ourself.

Eike
Well. . .that's on the other side of the pond. On this side, we use wires. What kind of connectors do you guys use that can be soldered directly onto the batteries?

[This message has been edited by rcdude (edited 04-27-2001).]
Old Apr 27, 2001, 07:14 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,903 Posts
rcdude,

The 4" length works for me.

and the check really IS in the mail!
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Apr 28, 2001, 08:25 AM
Baden Baden, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcdude:
Well. . .that's on the other side of the pond. On this side, we use wires. What kind of connectors do you guys use that can be soldered directly onto the batteries?

[This message has been edited by rcdude (edited 04-27-2001).]

Well wires can break no matter what kind of wire you use. It is just a matter of time. I use the LRP connectors which have a silver surface. Silver has a lower resistance then gold and as many people just want gold they are quite inexpensive. Others use the 4mm gold connectors which are sold by many manufacturers and they can also be soldered directly to a pack. Of course you should use at least a 50 Watt soldering iron. Otherwise it takes too long and you might damage the pack.

Eike
plinse is offline Find More Posts by plinse
Old Apr 28, 2001, 11:52 AM
Aloha, Oregon in the Good 'ol USofA
Joined Mar 2000
147 Posts
I also wonder what these connectors soldered directly to the packs look like. Do you have any pics of them installed?

[This message has been edited by rlinscheid (edited 04-28-2001).]
rlinscheid is offline Find More Posts by rlinscheid