SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:03 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,706 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing A-10 Warthog Fighter Jet w/ Twin 50mm EDF ARF Kit

Hi,

I did not find any reference for this Twin EDF in the Forum ... so ... I open it.

I know, is looking more a GWS clone, so there are already some thread about GWS A-10: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345774 , etc

Anyhow ... I would like to have a place for discuss who took this bird and which set up people are going to use.

The interesting point for me was the 1m wing span ... with dual 50/55mm EDF should make a nice and easy to fly EDF ... I read that the main wing need to be reinforced ... so I will need to add a spar ...

Thanks

e_lm_70

ps: My A-10 is on the way from DE warehouse (It was an add on to my Yak 54 Monster order) ... I plan to use with 2 1000mAh 3S 25C Lipo (from my Jpower 50mm EDF) , one 3S battery for ESC. As motor I order these: HK2627 EDF Outrunner 4300kv ... hopefully it will fit (since 3mm shaft may not fit in )

pps: As ESC I have 2 spare Quark Universal 33A ... I'm thinking to use a mixer in my radio for the two motor ... for make it to turn based on two different EDF "power" .... the ESC support also reverse in Air-Mode ... so maybe I can use as breake ... or something wierdo ... like spin roll in the air ... I will see
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:05 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,706 Posts
Res.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:02 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
I have seen the other A10 they have (70mm fans) fly and its reasonably quick.

To add a spar in EPS i have used polyeurethane glue in my other birds.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:41 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer View Post
I have seen the other A10 they have (70mm fans) fly and its reasonably quick.

To add a spar in EPS i have used polyeurethane glue in my other birds.
The two birds have similar size ... 1017mm vs 970mm wing span ... so just 1 inch difference in size.

But the new PNP Twin 70mm, is 100$ more ... having 2 pair ESC already ... add the motor and servo is just 30/40$ cost ... and I think the KIT can be still be power for 300/400 Watt ... so making a decent bird ...

On top ... the KIT was stock in Germany, while the new PNP was not ... so ... looking to catch the 1 single stock left of the Yak ... this A-10 was more a filler ... that did fit well inside the 10Kg pack limit

Thanks

e_lm_70

ps: I like epoxy ... I have a 24h epoxy, very liquid that enter in every holes ... I'm thinking to take a square spar: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8711 (to use as it is ... or after cutting half, making 2 L spars)
Last edited by e_lm_70; Apr 15, 2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old May 23, 2011, 03:25 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,706 Posts
A micro update ...

I'm waiting for the curbon rod for reinforce the main wing ... maybe I will also use some carbon for stick better the two EDF to the fuse.

So far I just fix the servos ... only 3 ... 2 ailerons, 1 for elevator.

No landing gears.

Going to use 2 x 1000mAh 3S 25c lipo ... with 2 33Amp exp and 4300 EDF motor (the 64mm version that fix also on the stock 55mm)

Attached is the modify for host two ailerons servos ... still need to be glued

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Anybody has any hint for where is CoG for this bird ? The battery compartement is huge and very very long ... lot of freedom ...
Old May 24, 2011, 02:19 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,335 Posts
I also have this kit and all other components. Haven't had the time to assemble yet.

I am planning to use the turnigy 2627 4200kv motors, 2x Blue series 40A ESCs or 2x Plush 30A.

I have a selection of carbon rods and tubes from 1.5mm to 4mm.

I think I will settle for a 2mm rod or 3mm tube.

I am concerned with the battery since the max battery can be a 2200 3S (11cm long).

I like your idea of using 2 smaller batteries but I don't use them so I will try with a single 22003S 35C-70C nano-tech first.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old May 24, 2011, 03:44 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
I also have this kit and all other components. Haven't had the time to assemble yet.

I am planning to use the turnigy 2627 4200kv motors, 2x Blue series 40A ESCs or 2x Plush 30A.

I have a selection of carbon rods and tubes from 1.5mm to 4mm.

I think I will settle for a 2mm rod or 3mm tube.

I am concerned with the battery since the max battery can be a 2200 3S (11cm long).

I like your idea of using 2 smaller batteries but I don't use them so I will try with a single 22003S 35C-70C nano-tech first.
The 2627 are the same motor that I got ... they pump 26amp on the stock 55mm EDF ... very strong pushing

So I will go for 40amp esc ...
I have 2 Quark Universal 33A , unused since ages ... for be on the safe side, I will mount on the tail outside the frame, in order to allow good cooling.

Anyhow ... the battery compartment is HUGE ... especially if you are not going t mount any front steering servo ... I think there is 30cm length, 5 cm wide ... so ... you can host even a 10.000mAh 4S

I think maybe 1 Battery is better then 2 .. since less risk that difference in battery performance could effect which EDF push more then the other ... but in my case I have no 3S battery capable to handle 60Amp discharge ... so I will better stick to my cheap 3S 1000mAh 25C ... they will be on the edge ... but ... it could be ok..

About carbon rod or tube ... I think is more easy to place one or more carbon rod ... then a carbon tube ... this will cause some mayor foam cutting and it will require to repaint ...

With over 500w ... I'm afraid of the stock EDF holder ... this may also need some reinforcement ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Any idea about the CoG ?
Old May 24, 2011, 07:24 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
About carbon rod or tube ... I think is more easy to place one or more carbon rod ... then a carbon tube ... this will cause some mayor foam cutting and it will require to repaint ...

With over 500w ... I'm afraid of the stock EDF holder ... this may also need some reinforcement ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Any idea about the CoG ?
Re the carbon rod - you are right.

About CoG, I am going to try with 25% from the wing leading edge. Essentially it's a normal plane not a delta wing.

First flight, I might even try a bit more weight in the nose just to be safe.

Now you got me hyped up to start building mine......
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old May 24, 2011, 07:37 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Re the carbon rod - you are right.

About CoG, I am going to try with 25% from the wing leading edge. Essentially it's a normal plane not a delta wing.

First flight, I might even try a bit more weight in the nose just to be safe.

Now you got me hyped up to start building mine......

Thanks for the tip ... I'm always bad on guessing the CoG.

Your set up, sound almost same as mine ... over 500w ... should be really funny ... at least ... this what I hope for

Tchuss

e_lm_70