HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:10 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Discussion
JPower P-38 (Sold By Banana Hobby)

Check out the new P-38 Lightning on BananaHobby.com. I've been looking for one so pre-ordered it. It'll be available in November 2009.

Any comments on this plane?
fred_n is offline Find More Posts by fred_n
Last edited by fred_n; Dec 28, 2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Special Request
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:12 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Here's the link for those wanting a short cut.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1944.html

Well it says it is 6 channel and 55" WS with retracts. I am anxious to see this. They will get my money if the video proves to be good. I have bought from them before and have had good results. Can't wait for more.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Oct 18, 2009, 09:02 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,057 Posts
Looks Promising

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_n
Check out the new P-38 Lightning on BananaHobby.com. I've been looking for one so pre-ordered it. It'll be available in November 2009.

Looks to be a very promising flyer. The only problem is BH customer service or lack of and lack of spare parts.

They carry some great looking planes, but try to order parts for the plane before you buy "the plane". Try ordering something simple like a spare prop.

Good Luck.
mfpage
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Oct 18, 2009, 09:11 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
oooh its EPO---hobby lobby is carrying thier mustang--maybe thier p-38 next????????
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:10 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,057 Posts
Banana Hobby Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_n

Check out the Banana Hobby Forum. Very interesting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/banana-hobby-560/
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:57 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
Wow!

I want one!!!

Was just thinking the other day how the 38 has always been my favorite aircraft of all time. I've always wanted an RC version, but seeing the expense of twin aircraft, and the low run times on electric twins, I've shied away from a Lightning.

Will be keeping an eye on this one for sure though.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:55 AM
Registered "e" Flyer
Monterey Park, CA
Joined Dec 2007
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpage
Check out the Banana Hobby Forum. Very interesting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/banana-hobby-560/
Am I missing something? Is their a topic on this P38 cause I cant find it.
CGReload is offline Find More Posts by CGReload
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:08 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
A P38 is a nice dream, and a warbird with two motors is so cool. But be careful with your bucks.

A buddy had an E Flite P38 which did fly great (at least until he got too cocky and crashed--not the plane's fault). It is definitely not a beginner plane. And as an "ARF" it is a complicated plane to set up with two motors, and didn't sell well and this is probably the reason E Flite discontinued it. I got the last one our LHS had now on the build table, and it takes a lot of tinkering. I figure a P38 is a challenge, and guys here are making book on mine .

The Banana Hobby ad is suspicious. Click the link in the second post on this thread by Orion Pax. The pics look cool, but no videos. The ad is full of redundant hype with obvious Chinglish wording. Properly functioning retractable gear on a P38 of that size is hard to believe. And the "ready to fly in just minutes", "super stable for beginner" and "high roll rate" make experienced guys cringe.

Personally I would wait and see what actually happens with the Banana Hobby P38.

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:54 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,031 Posts
BH is notoriuos for importing planes with the same mo ----
cheap servos ---usually fail
speed controllers that dont work
repeated customer comments that dont get answered
On RCU , a moderator even bought from them and had problems , then the post were taken off line and the problem seem to disappear .
The biggest longest problems they had started with the very expensive F18 -- bad retracts , bad servos , the plane was a whopping $600 and you get a foam plan with cheap eletrics .
If you do buy --but the shell , no eletrics add your own
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:28 AM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Its really hard to believe that with all the horror stories about Banana on every RC forum that anyone would buy something much less pre-order from them.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:46 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
They have had their troubles... but they do bring innovative products to the market.

If they could tighten up some of their practices a bit, they could really grab some serious market share.

Pete seems like a good guy and has always been helpful and open from what I have seen...
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:07 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
i've always liked the p38, in fact i just finished building the phase3 kit from hobbypeople. but, with this one you have to factor in the "banana hobby" thing. i would not risk sending them 300 bucks, especially if it is not in stock. too risky ordering from them, in my experience anyways........
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:12 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737
i've always liked the p38, in fact i just finished building the phase3 kit from hobbypeople. but, with this one you have to factor in the "banana hobby" thing. i would not risk sending them 300 bucks, especially if it is not in stock. too risky ordering from them, in my experience anyways........
The Phase-3 P-38 is a really nice flying plane, good performing on the stock motors...looks good in the air too.

...unfortunately, its quite brittle and fragile. If that plane was constructed from EPO it would be amazing.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:06 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,031 Posts
You do have options .
1)Easy tiger models --out of NY , Curtis seems to be responsive and imports many of the same planes
2)jet tech rc models , there the manufacture of many of the e-jets and prop planes coming into the USA , he will sell direct from China and on E-bay -I have purchased from him with zero issues direct from China
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:48 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGReload
Am I missing something? Is their a topic on this P38 cause I cant find it.
I started one this morning...quite a few views but no comments from BH or anyone...as of right now.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1128489