HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2009, 02:46 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,236 Posts
Yippee!
Brown Bluff in Banning a place to fly frontside in the Santa Ana's

Welp,this is a place to fly SA's(EAST out here) for some great frontside flying. I found this site the 1st month I moved out here and the floor guys were installing my wood floors; I had time to burn so I went exploring and I found this great spot and I want to share it with everyone. The landing area is huge and grassy. I'd guess the hill is about 300 ft. comparing to LM's 425 ft. It's a dry river bed about a half mile across and the wind is slightly cross but the lift is incredible. You can fly any type of sloper here without worry of the LZ; carbon, glass, balsa , foam.....
Take the 10 fwy. to Sunset(exit 98) in Banning(3 exits approx. after Beaumont exit)..Go North. Up the hill past the water tanks rd. thru the winding road until you hit the stop sign at a T insection..you now have to go right,(there is an immediate turn out on your left,Ive flown there but like it down the road a lil further)..on your right is the huge, soft, unobstructed LZ, drive until the barb wire fence pops up on your right side and park. Walk 50 paces more south with your plane and launch. You can fly any where on the bluff but I find it best 50 paces down from where you park...Have fun!
I just got back after an hour and a halfs worth of flying, 10.30 am to noon, I measured the wind at 31 constant with higher gusts.(the weather link said 18 on the ground)
it starts early here..here is some video and pics of the site. I flew but was alone so,, no planes in flight
brown bluff (0 min 21 sec)

brown bluff (0 min 33 sec)

brown bluff (0 min 50 sec)

brown bluff (0 min 34 sec)
slopepilot is online now Find More Posts by slopepilot
Last edited by slopepilot; Dec 19, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2009, 03:13 PM
I want to bark at the moon
2 weeks in SoCal 2 weeks in WA
Joined Mar 2009
576 Posts
Awesome, It looks like a much larger flying area than Fermin. Let's have some races there with the 2ms
guantamanera is offline Find More Posts by guantamanera
Old Oct 01, 2009, 03:44 PM
WINDEPENDENT
Joined Dec 2007
3,236 Posts
Google 10700 bluff st. in bannnig and the parking and flying spot is south a little....I found it on google but cant seem to copy it to here for some reason
CHECK THE WEATHER before you go...looking for a ENE,E, ESE of sorts
http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/rom...TS046&time=GMT
http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/rom...TS046&time=GMT
Last edited by slopepilot; Nov 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 04:06 PM
Joined Mar 2009
576 Posts
HERE
Last edited by guantamanera; Oct 01, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 04:29 PM
WINDEPENDENT
Joined Dec 2007
3,236 Posts
previous april fool fest at brown bluff

we got skunked at LM so we came out to BB thanks to my daughters handy weather report
Old Oct 02, 2009, 01:09 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
My goodness- Definitely worth a trip! ****A much shorter trip!****
exciter900rr is offline Find More Posts by exciter900rr
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:04 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,765 Posts
That was a great day on the slope. I thought we were calling it the Bluff & Mesa Slope though. What’s this Brown Bluff stuff?

Hear are a few shots I took that day.
Shows both locations we flew from.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 10:29 AM
Semper Fidelis
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jul 2005
1,444 Posts
I'll bet on this having the best landing zone in socal.
If the wind dies its easy to land at the bottom and drive down the paved road for an easy retrieval. Just don't high end your vehicle thinking you can drive everywhere.
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
Old Oct 02, 2009, 11:52 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,765 Posts
Oh yeah I remember that for sure. Here is a shot of me and Big Gas getting very high centered on a dirt burm in his 4x4. We went down to retrieve one of his planes that he landed at the bottom. I think Mavdriver took this shot.
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2009, 12:38 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guantamanera
Awesome, It looks like a much larger flying area than Fermin. Let's have some races there with the 2ms

I doubt that you'll find a place that supports heavier planes than Fermin at the same or less wind speed; larger area doesn't convert to stronger lift. The strength of the lift appears to me to be more affected by the angle of the slope face (Fermin is vertical), and the disturbances up wind of the slope (Fermin has only ocean), and the shape of the face (Fermin is a bowl)....

These are my opinions, but you might be disappointed driving 80 miles when you have a world class slope so close to you, and with flyable wind 300 days a year.

I'm stoked for our inland bros that they found a new good slope for SA's though.
Cool!

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Oct 02, 2009, 01:49 PM
Joined Mar 2009
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
I doubt that you'll find a place that supports heavier planes than Fermin at the same or less wind speed; larger area doesn't convert to stronger lift. The strength of the lift appears to me to be more affected by the angle of the slope face (Fermin is vertical), and the disturbances up wind of the slope (Fermin has only ocean), and the shape of the face (Fermin is a bowl)....

These are my opinions, but you might be disappointed driving 80 miles when you have a world class slope so close to you, and with flyable wind 300 days a year.

I'm stoked for our inland bros that they found a new good slope for SA's though.
Cool!

T
I know about the lift and the things that spoil it. I was talking about the flying area. I don't fly bricks so I don't need the ridiculous amount of lift you get from Fermin. Plus the inland guys are nicer they don't complain because your plane is too slow and you're getting on their way and they don't get mad cause I land my wing next to my feet. I haven't met everybody at fermin. I am sure most of you are nice just had bad experience with 1 person. People can ruin the lift too.

guantamanera,
who always holds a grouche
Old Oct 02, 2009, 02:26 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,586 Posts
Have fun then.

Target,
Who knows that no matter how special you are, you shouldn't land in the park at Point Fermin.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:06 PM
Joined Mar 2009
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
Have fun then.

Target,
Who knows that no matter how special you are, you shouldn't land in the park at Point Fermin.

Hey I think was you . Didn't land on the park. The other side of the wall, and it was a beautiful landing. I seen people smash their planes and split birds in half there and all they do is laugh. my $40 wing will not do anything.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 03:17 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,586 Posts
Landing on the lip is ok, if you can pull it off; you'll never see me even try that in big conditions or with a crowd of people though. Its too risky safety wise, not to mention to the plane.
I have landed a crunchy there on the lip once or twice when the wind was dropping to nothing.

Keep holding your grudges, its cool. Not for me, though, because life is too short, and I only hurt myself!

My original post was in response to your 2m/s statement. I doubt that you'll ever find that in SA conditions anyway, its usually more like 15-20ms in an SA, and that place will be fine for a heavy plane in those conditions anyway.

Good luck.

Target

PS. Sorry for the thread hijack, Slopepilot, and thanks for posting the site.
I am unsubscribing from this thread.
Last edited by target; Oct 02, 2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 05:08 PM
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2004
47 Posts
"Oh yeah I remember that for sure. Here is a shot of me and Big Gas getting very high centered on a dirt berm in his 4x4."

Silly tourists.

Dave glad you got some flying in with the SA's.

Sherpa
alanc999 is offline Find More Posts by alanc999