SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 04:41 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Well I went to the RAAF Museum.
Maybe it could have been planned and investigated better....
The Sabre is in a hangar of about 12 aircraft, right up the back and that hangar only has one path/ramp at one end - the far end from it! So it was quite useless, versus many other aircraft that have their own 'walk around' right up close.

So I went to ask if someone from there could maybe let me into there and go with me etc. But no... they can't allow that.
But I can ring during the week to see if I can arrange something with the 'real' workers from there (not just the desk staff).

I took whatever pics I could, from afar, but they are not really of great use. Not much better than seeing online pics. About the only interesting thing was how big an F-4 Phantom is compared to the Sabre! Or how a Canberra Bomber was then quite a bit bigger than the F-4 (as you might expect)....

I guess I noted the TAILPLANE Dihedral of the Sabre..... which I had not thought about before.

As much as the Airbrake looks like it might just be angle pivots, plus the lower arm shorter than the upper arm, that still doesn't seem to add up to the overall end position (with just those aspects involved).
The hinge points are also very close to the skin surface, which is tough to do on the FlyFly.
I was thinking of making thin ply with balsa replacement air brakes, so they will have decent strength (rock solid) attachments then - which the foam can't do very well.

I can see this Air Brake portion is probably going to be the hardest aspect... and possibly the only hard part of it.... sheesh.

It would still be nice, and fun, if I can get them to let me in right up to the Sabre!

PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:35 PM
Fly it like you're in it
Canada, ON, London
Joined Nov 2012
525 Posts
Nice first try Peter, keep at it! Museums can be quite a challenge, and it`s much easier if it`s close to home so you can keep bugging them to the point they let you do what you want just to get rid of you. Try going right at opening or closing hours when there are fewer people. Often they are reluctant to let you cross ropes for fear of others seeing you and doing the same.
Good luck
microlyn is online now Find More Posts by microlyn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: painting/finishing dynam 109
Old Today, 01:09 PM
Fly it like you're in it
Canada, ON, London
Joined Nov 2012
525 Posts
I was also looking at some builds of the Skymaster and BMV 86`s and even some Migs. Of all the pics I saw, these where the most helpful ( but out of focus)

And some of the Mig
microlyn is online now Find More Posts by microlyn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: painting/finishing dynam 109