HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:02 AM
3D Printer Owner
Joined Mar 2012
66 Posts
Question
Multistar motor change

Hi all,

Quite a while ago I purchased some Multistar 3525 850kv outrunners for my tricopter. I've been pushing them a bit past there limits (pushing 13x5.5 props) and they've so far handled it quite well.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Outrunner.html

I don't have any spares however, so I was a bit surprised to find a comparably different design on the same product page I thought I once knew. The specs seem unchanged, but the motor looks vastly different and a couple people in the HK comments seem to have unfortunately received two different motors in their orders.

old (have): [1], [2]
new (don't have): [1], [2]

Should I be concerned or not about this change? Would you advise mixing the new and old models on the same flights?
In other words, has the performance and/or specs changed between these two models?
Physics_Dude is offline Find More Posts by Physics_Dude
Last edited by Physics_Dude; Nov 26, 2014 at 11:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2014, 01:21 PM
3D Printer Owner
Joined Mar 2012
66 Posts
It appears that the change has taken place somewhere between September 2014, and early November of the same year.

A couple people in HK's discussion section say the new one is noticeably lighter, though the weight and power specifications have gone unchanged on the product page.

Here is another reference:
Physics_Dude is offline Find More Posts by Physics_Dude
Last edited by Physics_Dude; Nov 30, 2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 01:31 PM
United States, SC, Lexington
Joined May 2014
225 Posts
Most multistars are just rebaged motors from other manufacturers... I have a quad that has 2x Hengli 4220-880 motors, and 2x Multistar 4220-880 motors... At one point these multistars being shipped changed from black (like the henglis) to Multistar green, so when I ordered them I expected them to match because the product page showed the black ones, but green is what arrived. But beside color, they are identical, and the Multistars are about $10 cheaper each.

Anyway, the answer to your question is we probably can't give you an answer. Mix them and see what happens... No telling what HK does without telling us; I've heard of them shipping people two versions of the same motor in ONE shipment! Since the motors you're referencing have changed physically and not just in color, they may play well together or they may not.
BuffaloJustin is offline Find More Posts by BuffaloJustin