HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:34 PM
Joined Jul 2014
4 Posts
Help!
WL v911 - Tail rotor problems

Hello everyone

I've gone through two V911's now, the first one had the worst looking solder joints on the tail motor wires. While flying, the tail rotor suddenly stopped and the thing spun out of control. I tried reattaching the loose wire, but I accidentally shorted and blew up one of the little transistors in that lower corner. Damn! If I hadn't tried "testing" and went straight to soldering I probably wouldn't have slipped and shorted stuff...

So I bought a 911 pro, which was working like a champ. Got plenty of flights down, then swapped to a fish eye swash, carbon shaft, and a paddle flybar, all of which worked perfectly after many hours of mechanical trimming.

Anyway, while flying around my shop my tail rotor started acting all funny again. It will speed up, but it does not seem to want to slow down. Consequently, it overshoots one direction a few revolutions, and it won't hardly turn the opposite direction. The heli is still perfectly flyable, but it is obvious something is not right with the yaw. V911 is usually hyper reactive on that axis!

I checked for more cold solder joints on my new v911, but my connections are still good and the little FETs/transistors still look to be intact. I've swapped tail rotor blades, and I'm certain I've no resistance on the tail motor shaft of any kind.

I'm thinking now my gyro might be blown, or I've burned the tail motor out. Is that something that happens often? Idling up the heli and rotating it in the hand still shows marked RPM changes on the tail rotor, so it's trying to do something still.

Very confusing, and very frustrating. S107g is no fun after this thing. I'm going to try and find a dab or two of oil, then I don't know what I'm gonna do!

Thanks for reading!
pontiacg5 is offline Find More Posts by pontiacg5
Last edited by pontiacg5; Jul 18, 2014 at 09:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 02:18 AM
Joined Jul 2014
4 Posts
I just finished making a video showing what's going on. Pretty hard to make this video, flying in the living room one handed lol

V911 Bad Tail Motor (0 min 29 sec)
pontiacg5 is offline Find More Posts by pontiacg5