HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2013, 05:03 AM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Apr 2007
192 Posts
Discussion
Monny 2 - Will this be awesome or terminal?!!...

Hi all,

Getting back into R/C flying after some years, and been bringing the fleet back up to flying condition. Got the old Monny 2 out and the motor pack (7xNiMH) was predictably dead after 8+ years. Soooo, I thought I'd reprogram the ESC, plug in a fresh 3s 3000 lipo and give it a brief squirt....HOLY CR@P!!!!

No clamp meter at present, so not sure what it was putting out, but MAN did than thing scream and pull. Ecalc doesn't list this motor, so until I get my hands on a shunt for my emeter 2, can anyone make an educated guess whether the following is worth risking a few short motor runs:

Hacker B50-6S with 6.7:1 gearbox
Hacker Master 125 ESC
Aeronaut 17x13" CamCarbon folder
Plus a good 3s Lipo - maybe a Thunder Power 3000 70C?

Any takers? Having blown the contents of my workshop into a parallel universe on the test, I'm itching to try it out....

Cheers,

Cam
camdyson is offline Find More Posts by camdyson
Last edited by camdyson; Nov 12, 2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Typos
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2013, 05:45 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,215 Posts
Going by MotoCalc I would expect that setup to pull about 200 to 250 amps static (depending on how good the battery is) at about 6500 to 7000 rpm.

My only real concern is the prop. The Aeonaut CAM carbon 17x13 is listed as max 8000 rpm and you would probably exceed that in flight.
A better bet might be the 15x13 CAM which should stay within its rated 9000 rpm max and would probably be more suited to faster flight anyway.
http://www.aero-naut.de/en/products/...camcarbon.html
Alternatively consider a full carbon prop.

Taking that into account, it is certainly worth trying out a flight with a fews short motor runs of 5 secs or less. You can push it more once you know how a short trial flight goes.

Dick
dickw is offline Find More Posts by dickw