HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2014, 06:56 AM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
Looks to me like the only time people chime in on THIS thread is to bash this manufacturer or if someone reports a bad experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisom01 View Post
I bought the 1800 I was looking at. Never had an issue whatsoever. I had some questions and inquired with one of the US dealers.. I like the engine....

Reaches idle in a very short time, no vibration, great transition. No popping. not sure what else I can say. Starts ever time. local support and I think they are coming out with an upgrade to the 1800 that will put out a bit more thrust. I had the engine looked at and the ECU reset for me. I have about 15 hours on this and absolutely no complaints.

John
crisom01 is offline Find More Posts by crisom01
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:15 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Looks to me like the only time people chime in on THIS thread is to bash this manufacturer or if someone reports a bad experience...
Bash or keep people updated? With JJ you se someone chime in with a working engine from time to time, with other brands it's the other way around, someone chimes in from time to time with a failure. As this is expected there is not much more to say.

I'm not saying your engine is bad, as it works, but you seem to be of a rare kind if looking around at the net or IRL.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Mar 06, 2014, 08:36 AM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
I saw quite a few good comments out there about these engines. I think they went through some changes. I donít care what happened years back. I am talking about recent experience with new owners and new reps. This company has been around a long time... seems they have gone through some changes.

Just to elaborate, I spent a good amount of time reading the threads on here as well as RCU. I think the issue with this manufacturer seems to have been an overall failure to correct issues and lack of consistency in their customer service. Aside from that these motors are similar. I reviewed some of your posts and you appear to have a very extensive working knowledge of the internals of many of these engines. Can you comment on the motors past and new and what the complaints are now? The company appears to be under new management.

Also what I find absolutely odd is that there is a turbine clinic on RCU for every other motor out there even companies that are either belly up or headed there... Why not a slot for this manufacturer? I think there is an obvious bias against this manufacturer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
Bash or keep people updated? With JJ you se someone chime in with a working engine from time to time, with other brands it's the other way around, someone chimes in from time to time with a failure. As this is expected there is not much more to say.

I'm not saying your engine is bad, as it works, but you seem to be of a rare kind if looking around at the net or IRL.
Last edited by crisom01; Mar 06, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 11:23 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
It's because the manufacture would have had to request a forum. But, since they are so bad... it would have been a forum that would have caused lost sales with the record of bad engines.

If you want to buy an engine, to work on... find a JJ. They can be made to run. But since they were so bad, there are very few people willing to buy new JJ engines to find out if they got better. Also, since other companies have dropped their price, it's hard to justify the few hundred $$ savings, and still have it be a gamble.

To me, JJ's biggest sin was trying to pass off their stuff as someone else parts. They originally said they used Xicoy ECU's and MTM fuel pumps. Then after a while, we found they were bootlegs, and even Gaspar said they sole his code.

As far as getting better... I don't think they have. Last summer there was a member who bought a JJJ engine, and it only lasted a few hrs.

With that all said.., if you talk with Brett at AusiJets, he can sell you a JJ that will run. But with the shipping, and extra labor.., you can just order a KingTech.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Mar 06, 2014, 12:54 PM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
Tony... I suspect that it JetJoe asked for a forum that no one would reply to the email. It is my hunch. As for the Junior, did the person resolve the issue, return it to be serviced, get a refund or told to pound salt. if this was a new motor (as opposed to used) For 1500 bucks or whatever it costs.. I have a hard time thinking this story just ended there. I own an 1800 and asked some preliminary questions before buying it and for the most part got a lot of jaded responses. What completely surprised me was the level of service I recieved from the rep I spoke to and I was not buying a new motor. Seeing my motor running great, I wondered what is up here. Then I started to read. From what I have read and seen, this looks like the resturant everyone hates that comes under new management and maybe turns things around..

As for stolen code and bootlegging support items, I know the story with Gaspar and that would anger me too. Since this is such a small world it makes sense to me to resolve the past bad dealings and move forward.. Like I said this appears to be a new management team along with the way they handle thier issues.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
It's because the manufacture would have had to request a forum. But, since they are so bad... it would have been a forum that would have caused lost sales with the record of bad engines.

If you want to buy an engine, to work on... find a JJ. They can be made to run. But since they were so bad, there are very few people willing to buy new JJ engines to find out if they got better. Also, since other companies have dropped their price, it's hard to justify the few hundred $$ savings, and still have it be a gamble.

To me, JJ's biggest sin was trying to pass off their stuff as someone else parts. They originally said they used Xicoy ECU's and MTM fuel pumps. Then after a while, we found they were bootlegs, and even Gaspar said they sole his code.

As far as getting better... I don't think they have. Last summer there was a member who bought a JJJ engine, and it only lasted a few hrs.

With that all said.., if you talk with Brett at AusiJets, he can sell you a JJ that will run. But with the shipping, and extra labor.., you can just order a KingTech.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Last edited by crisom01; Mar 06, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 01:03 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,181 Posts
One thing I was dissapointed with is that there was apparently so many of them that were meant to be junk, so you would have thought there would be loads up for sale for $100, I was looking forward to gathering up cheap spares!, but alas the junk ones never surfaced!
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Mar 06, 2014, 02:13 PM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
so perhaps there are not so many junker JJ engines out there as people allude to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
One thing I was dissapointed with is that there was apparently so many of them that were meant to be junk, so you would have thought there would be loads up for sale for $100, I was looking forward to gathering up cheap spares!, but alas the junk ones never surfaced!
Old Mar 06, 2014, 06:34 PM
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Quote:
so perhaps there are not so many junker JJ engines out there as people allude to...
It's hard to say. A lot of times... a blown turbine has nothing left to sell. OR... they are given to a "buddy" who wants to get into turbines cheap. I've personally been given a bunch of engines that people didn't want to fix.

I've never seen a JJ flying local, but I have a buddy that cleaned one up, and was going to put it in a FaiBau Rafal. (jj3000) but it's been on the bench for at least 4 years.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 08:24 PM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
That makes a lot of sense.. it really does..

Quote:
It's hard to say. A lot of times... a blown turbine has nothing left to sell. OR... they are given to a "buddy" who wants to get into turbines cheap. I've personally been given a bunch of engines that people didn't want to fix.

I've never seen a JJ flying local, but I have a buddy that cleaned one up, and was going to put it in a FaiBau Rafal. (jj3000) but it's been on the bench for at least 4 years.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:07 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,836 Posts
Quote:
I reviewed some of your posts and you appear to have a very extensive working knowledge of the internals of many of these engines. Can you comment on the motors past and new and what the complaints are now? The company appears to be under new management.
I know for fact a fiew things about the engines, and dealers. What I don't know is what changes happend and when or why.

Even you as a owner don't know.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 06:48 AM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
What is your point? I have no idea what they changed in thier motors or why. I think they changed some clearances over time. What I do know is that they seem to stand behind thier engines now where other manufacturers don't (Wren 160). I think it is safe to say that the company changed hands and seems to have a new attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
I know for fact a fiew things about the engines, and dealers. What I don't know is what changes happend and when or why.

Even you as a owner don't know.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:15 AM
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
I don't want to hear about the wren's. All the people bitching about them is just sour grapes. Those engines were fixed when they were under warranty, and the owners had the option to upgrade to the newer compressor. One of the guy's screening the loudest about the 160 has a second hand engine, that Wren fixed twice... and he's mad because they wont just send him parts to fix it himself. Other than JJ, none of the big turbine companies will sell parts.

Anyway.... keep this thread on track about JJ's.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:36 AM
Joined Aug 2013
43 Posts
You're right.. this is not the thread to discuss other manufacturer issues but the reference is applicable. The handling of current events is similar to the way JJ went about dealing with issues in the past. We all know where it got them.

My point is mistakes made, lessons learned and move on from it. JJ as whole seems to have a new attitude. I say this from discussions with them and services rendered.

Quote:
I don't want to hear about the wren's. All the people bitching about them is just sour grapes. Those engines were fixed when they were under warranty, and the owners had the option to upgrade to the newer compressor. One of the guy's screening the loudest about the 160 has a second hand engine, that Wren fixed twice... and he's mad because they wont just send him parts to fix it himself. Other than JJ, none of the big turbine companies will sell parts.

Anyway.... keep this thread on track about JJ's.
Last edited by crisom01; Mar 07, 2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 04:06 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,836 Posts
Quote:
JJ as whole seems to have a new attitude. I say this from discussions with them and services rendered.
How come we don't see people poping up more often with good experiences then? I've posted massive info on how to convert foamies to turbine power, really beeing very open about and sharing the insane amounts of testing I have done, but still no jet joe juniors flying. There are even bolt on convertion kits that I'm involved in that fits the Junior. Have I messed them all? To me that sounds unlikely. Yes I know of a hand full of clips on youtube but it should be way more?!

I don't see this as flaming, rather just looking around and asking why?
Old Mar 08, 2014, 04:07 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,836 Posts
Quote:
What is your point?
trying to reply to your investigation of my jet joe posts.