HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:10 AM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Discussion
Laws/Rules

Are there any laws or rules about flying on public/sporting ovals?

I only ask as im having trouble finding a good spot to fly around Mildura.
Barney1942 is offline Find More Posts by Barney1942
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:39 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,902 Posts
Drive twenty minutes out of town and ask a farmer if you can fly your "toy" planes from his paddock.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:03 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,273 Posts
Model aircraft are covered by several aspects of the civil aircraft safety regulations. These apply regardless of permission or otherwise from the owner to use the land.

The first one to be aware of is that anything under 100g is totally exempt from the aviation law, which covers nearly all the Parkzone ultra micro range

The other key ones are you cannot fly above 400 feet with 3 nautical miles (5.4km) of an airfield or within controlled airspace, you must keep 30m clear of people vehicles or structures, unless associated with a model flying operation, and you must keep clear of populous areas, which means areas with enough people/buildings etc that if you have a failure in flight there's a reasonable chance you could hurt someone or damage something.

Mildura is an uncontrolled airfield, so you only have proximity to the airfield itself to think about re the 400 foot limit.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...101/101c03.pdf

It's pretty hard to comply with the 30m rule and the populous area rule at local ovals, but most of us fly in parks anyway from time to time, or even all the time. As long as you are aware it's at your own risk of course it is completely up to you how you choose to act.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Thank you for the information.

This is what I was after. I think I will go out and ask a couple of farmers if I can fly in there fields for those days that the ovals have lots of people.
Barney1942 is offline Find More Posts by Barney1942