HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:55 AM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Discussion
2nd boat recommendations ?

Gentlemen, what would be a good "2nd" boat to get ? My only experience is with the AQ Mini Wildcat but now I'm ready for something with a little bit more speed. Was looking at the EP Wildcat, minimono, or the newest version of the Pro boat Shockwave in either BL or Brushed. Leaning on the EP wildcat cuz I have the battery packs for them already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What about sailboats are they pretty cool to run ?

Thanks in advance, Marcusg
marcusg is offline Find More Posts by marcusg
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:17 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusg View Post
Gentlemen, what would be a good "2nd" boat to get ? My only experience is with the AQ Mini Wildcat but now I'm ready for something with a little bit more speed. Was looking at the EP Wildcat, minimono, or the newest version of the Pro boat Shockwave in either BL or Brushed. Leaning on the EP wildcat cuz I have the battery packs for them already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What about sailboats are they pretty cool to run ?

Thanks in advance, Marcusg
Marc
You ask about sailboats - coming from a powerboat background, basically I was into things that would go very fast, so people that know me are still wondering how I got so hooked on RC sailing.
Currently I own 9 rc sailboats - I still have a number of my power boats and rc aircraft but, my primary interest is RC sailing.

My sense of rc sailing is you get more bang for your bucks - Running hot boats and aircraft provides a rush for sure, but you get what, five to seven minutes?
Sailing is something you can enjoy for hours, solo, with friends, you can race, or not. The are many ways to enjoy this very beautiful part of the hobby.

I like boats and planes that look real - like many when I was a kid, I built model cars and airplanes. Now much later in life I am building models again and loving it. I was introduced to rc sailing by two of my best friends that were accomplished sailor both full sized boats and rc.

One of the guys had a boat that when I saw it, I knew I had to have one. It was a Tamiya Yamaha Round the World - which is a 1/20th scale model of the full sized Yamaha W60 Round the World racing yacht that won the Whitbread Round the World race. Now called the Volvo RTW. His boat was so close to the real thing - I couldn't believe it. It took me 6 months of constant searching to find one, but I did and now years later it is still my favorite boat. (I now have two of them)

Sailing is done for the most part in very nice places, my home lake is in the middle of a golf course and I drive to the shoreline in my golf cart and drop the boat in, sail for hours, surrounded by great scenery, fresh air, a little Sinatra on the carts stero, a few adult beverages and lots of laughs with my sailing buddies.

I could go on but I am sure you get the message. The boats are beautiful and provide a source of enjoyment and relaxation you'll not get running a power boat or flying an rc aircraft.

If you'd like more info, send me a PM - we can chat. I posted a few pictures that tell may help to tell the story - also check out the sailboat threads on this forum.

One in particular will give you a pictorial of this side of the hobby check out this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...332523&page=41

72,000+ hits can't be wrong. Enjoy
Boomer
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Hi Boomers, thanks for the reply.

Everything you brought up is the very same reason I'm interested in sailboats. Even though I like speed (btw, my rc background is with RC car racing, helis, and planes) the sailboat thing seems kind of more challenging and needing more skill to do, at least for me since you are only using wind power.(although if I do get one I would like to get one with a back-up motor just in case : D.)

Having said that, got any first time, beginner sailboats with back-up motor you can recommend ? Btw, just how fast can these boats go ?

Thanks in advance and much appreciated.

Marcus
Last edited by marcusg; Aug 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:14 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Quote:
Hi Boomers, thanks for the reply.

Everything you brought up is the very same reason I'm interested in sailboats. Even though I like speed (btw, my rc background is with RC car racing, helis, and planes) the sailboat thing seems kind of more challenging and needing more skill to do, at least for me since you are only using wind power.(although if I do get one I would like to get one with a back-up motor just in case : D.)

Having said that, got any first time, beginner sailboats with back-up motor you can recommend ? Btw, just how fast can these boats go ?

Thanks in advance and much appreciated
Marcus
How fast do these boats go?
That is a good question. The answer is, it depends. - If you were to figure out how fast they are going in scale it would be pretty fast! Again, depending on which boat and the conditions, I think that 3 to 10 mph actual surface speeds are realistic, perhaps faster with high performance racing sailboats.

These boats like winds of 3 to 10 mph - 1 meter and larger boats are great fun in higher winds - say 10 to 15 mph. Some will tell you they sail their boats in 20mph winds - I'd say most of the time, that is bunk! It is hard to put a sailboat in the water in a 20mph wind, let alone sailing it! Winds that strong can damage an RC sailboat. I have seen a few "de-masted" in those conditions.

I use an anemometer to determine the actual wind speeds I sail in. I am not saying you can't sail the right boats in 20 mph conditions, just that it takes a skilled skipper and a well prepared boat to do it without damaging their boat.

I have never put a GPS on any of my boats to determine their actual speed. I have a buddy that did and he found on a given day his boat averaged 4 mph.
He didn't tell me what the conditions were or the wind speed that day. He was sailing a 1 meter (40" appox) - I have the same boat and believe it will go faster in stronger winds - I base that on using the "SWAG" method to determine the boats speed. A friend of mine who sails full size sailboats told me there is a general rule in sailing that suggests your boat won't go faster than the wind.

I have used my GPS on my FEs - I have two that were able to break into the low 60s and the other clocked at 56 mph - you can't really compare the two genres.

Motors in RC Sailboats

The only RC sailboats I am aware of that have a "back up" motor are kids pool toys. I have a close friend that is a skilled hobbyist and installed a small electric motor in one of his sailboats, but has found other than it being fun to talk about, to be unnecessary.

Only on rare occasions would the motor be of value. There are many other more practical ways to rescue a sailboat or electric boat in distress. See the pictures below. Most of us use the excuse of needing a "rescue boat" to buy another boat.

Once you are into sailing you will understand that while having a motor on board is a nice idea, it adds unneeded weight and drag. I have had my boat's keel get stuck on some "moung" growing up from the bottom of the lake/pond at time or- two but either through working my out of the problem with the rudder and sails, or by sending in one of my rescue boats to push me out of the situation.

On occasion the wind has stopped, but it came back up in a few minutes and I continued sailing. It takes very little breeze to get one of these boats sail, so that happening is pretty rare.

As far as a good boat to start with, there are several to consider. One of if not the best boat for a novice is a Nirvana ll - it comes ready to sail - comes with a 2.4ghz radio or you can buy it without one so you can use one of your aircraft radios. You need only 2 channels to operate a sailboat. There are advantages to using a full featured radio once you get into more advanced sailing.

You can get a New Nirvana from $200 to $300 depending on the radio issue. Check out sailrc.com - they are the National distributor for Nirvana's - super nice people and know what they are talking about.

I just provided a lot of information different boats to consider to a couple of fellows on other threads - so rather than me re-post all that here is the link to that information: See post #48 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327090

Here is another - note posts #2 and # 8 :http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1715341&page=2

I'll send you a PM with my phone number - so if have more questions - feel free to give me a call.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 22, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:50 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Thanks again Boomer, now I just have to decide what I'm going to do here. : D
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Where in Norcal are you located ? You might be able to find a local club that sails.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Where in Norcal are you located ? You might be able to find a local club that sails.
SF bay area, Vallejo to be exact.

Any boat club would be great. I tried find one searching the net to no avail.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Quote:
SF bay area, Vallejo to be exact.

Any boat club would be great. I tried find one searching the net to no avail.
Go to the club listing at:
www.theamya.org
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
that's another positive thing about the sailboats. most venues are closed off to go fast boats for the most part. however these same places often invite sail boaters.

the club I belong to is a primarly a sailboating club and is listed with the AMYA. while I'm sure a lot of the guys in the club have boats other than sail? there isn't any real interest in powered or scale locally. I hope to eventually create enough interest within the club for something more official locally for the steamers and scale electrics I'm also interested in.

but sailing is great fun. and if you have a total catastrophic radio failure of a sail boat, just wait a bit and it'll come back to shore eventually. you don't need, nor really want a motor on board.
but radio sail has a thriving community most everywhere. racing or just mucking about.

the closets general interest boat club to me personaly that I know of is two hours away in Virginia Beach VA. so I hooked up with the RMYC and got into sailing and have really enjoyed it.

the club's one design boat is the Kyosho Seawind, but we also do RG65 officially and of course.. "whatever" open class sailing.. most club days are run what you brung, but the focus is, of course on RG65 and the seawind.

I'm wrapping up a little all from scratch wooden sailboat that's loosly based on the international star, and am starting construction on a RG-65 round ranger who's hull was made by breaking wind boats. that will be my main go fast racing sailboat and.. of course.. keeping an eye on the market for a seawind then after all that? Perhaps an official Star 45 all wood build and/or a gaff rigged scale model of a Chesapeake bay crabbing skiff.

all the while refitting my original Elliot bay steam launch into a scale model of the same boat after a cabin and electric drive conversion ( actually historically accurate ) and a scale model of a pre-civil war era James river Batoux canal boat.

I actually don't have much interest in go fast stuff..
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome