HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:43 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Shafts being very slightly undersize is a problem with many motors, factories do it to make them easy to assemble. Best way to fix it is with some retaining compound from locktite, it will bond the shaft to the inner race and remove the slop.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:10 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
Here is the question guys. I keep hearing you all saying this fan makes good power. But I have yet to see anyone pull 5 to 5 1/2 pounds reliably! I have a wemopro with a JS 1400 pulling 1850 watts at 90 amps. So in reality ie there any advantage braided it looking cool?
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:32 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Success !!!!

I finally got my first EDF running. . Change Sun 10 blade 70mm, all stock, with L2855-2300kv outrunner, 4S 2500 25C Gens Ace pack, 80 amp OPTO esc, medium timing (I forgot to change to high, but seems OK), mounted in the nacelle of my Windrider Boeing 737.

I was too busy making the video to record any numbers, but they are right in line with anlucas results. I'll post them later.

Working the oil into the bearings did the trick. I presume they just got dry and started complaining.

Extreme_RC, I do like the idea about bonding the inner race to the shaft with retaining compound. For now, I will go as-is just to see how it holds up.

Since I had completely disassembled the motor, I did not want to go through the full Sergey cell phone balance procedure. So I did a simple static balance of the rotor on a magnetic balancer. It took about 12 patches of blue masking tape, maybe more, I lost count. But that's all I did and here's the result.

I will do the Sergey cell phone balance tomorrow to dial it in. There is some vibration at lower rpms that I hope to eliminate.

Change Sun 10 blade fan in 737 nacelle test (1 min 32 sec)
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:16 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,553 Posts
Derek,

Nice!!

Those Gens Ace must be pretty good. I can only get those amps with 40C lipos!

From the sound, there still some motor whine. I can tell you that you can get it much quiter. Try playing around by rotating the shaft adapter on the motor shaft to find a better position. It;s not the rotor but the adapter not sitting properly on the shaft.

Also, try to fit the spinner cone. It might just do the trick.
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:17 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Lots of vibration from the sounds of it, and rattly bearings, sounds like the dodgy test motor I have in my F16 it rattles like that at very low throttle but goes silent soon as the revs come up off idle.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:41 AM
RAVI KOTHARI
Joined Nov 2005
259 Posts
My L2855 is just getting smoother all the time, However not up to my 2w25 just as yet.
But not bad for a el cheapo motor.
ravikoth is offline Find More Posts by ravikoth
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
Here is the question guys. I keep hearing you all saying this fan makes good power. But I have yet to see anyone pull 5 to 5 1/2 pounds reliably! I have a wemopro with a JS 1400 pulling 1850 watts at 90 amps. So in reality ie there any advantage braided it looking cool?
If you're talking about the HK L series motors I think 5.5lbs is burst not constant but on the CP motors that might be constant and they can eat the watts and not turn into blow dryers. The motors have to be proven over a good flying season, who knows...heat changes things and properties and stress's stuff.

These LX motors (HK Lseries) have been out for a while and I haven't heard too many people complain about them so far. Putting out 4.5lbs of thrust isn't anything to sneeze at, that'll scoot over 90% of the 70mm sized EDFs out there.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:41 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback! I'm just tickled at the moment that it's actually up and running . As you can see the posting time of 2:32 a.m., I was beat .

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Derek,

Nice!!

Those Gens Ace must be pretty good. I can only get those amps with 40C lipos!

From the sound, there still some motor whine. I can tell you that you can get it much quieter. Try playing around by rotating the shaft adapter on the motor shaft to find a better position. It;s not the rotor but the adapter not sitting properly on the shaft.

Also, try to fit the spinner cone. It might just do the trick.
The Gens Ace - I read a series of posts where a guy (he seemed like a total battery guru) did a rigorous measurement comparison with Turnigy Nanotech and said the Gens Ace edged out the Nanotechs. I know some guys who pound the crap out of these Gens Ace and love them.

I intend to do all the tweeks you suggest and I do believe it will get better. My 4mm shaft adapter actually fits quite well on the shaft, so I'll focus on the other elements. I got the cell phone accelerometer thing figured out, so I just need to go through the full procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Lots of vibration from the sounds of it, and rattly bearings, sounds like the dodgy test motor I have in my F16 it rattles like that at very low throttle but goes silent soon as the revs come up off idle.
Yah, I'm sure it's those bearings and the somewhat loose fit on the shaft. There's one throttle spot in particular that's much worse. Probably the cogging of an outrunner exaggerates the problem too at lower rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikoth View Post
My L2855 is just getting smoother all the time, However not up to my 2w25 just as yet.
But not bad for a el cheapo motor.
I'll wait to see how it sounds in the air after my best tweeking. But if I can't get it to sound good at all rpms, I'll probably switch to an inrunner. The flight envelope of my airliner will have lots of low and slow passes to "get a good look". Plus, I don't want the passengers to get scared if the motors rumble at low rpm during final approach! But heck, for the price, it's hard to complain! I have 4 of the L2855-2300's so it will be interesting to see if there is any random difference between them.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,868 Posts
[QUOTE=DerekB;20833591...Yah, I'm sure it's those bearings and the somewhat loose fit on the shaft. There's one throttle spot in particular that's much worse. Probably the cogging of an outrunner exaggerates the problem too at lower rpms...[/quote]

Isn't there something like Bearing Lock or something close that takes some of the xtra tolerances out of screws etc?

Just heard about it, some machinist prolly use it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Isn't there something like Bearing Lock or something close that takes some of the xtra tolerances out of screws etc?

Just heard about it, some machinist prolly use it?
Extreme_RC also mentioned something about that a few posts back. I'll have to look into it.

Or maybe just a light coat of nail polish on the shaft, as someone else suggested. That's easy enough to try tonight. I think my 16 year old daughter has some black nail polish , then I'll accidentally lose it on my workbench and forget to tell her . Gee honey, I have no idea where the black went. Here, try this nice light pink color I found.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:32 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
http://youtu.be/878OAG9idzQ?hd=1

Yeah I know I crashed.... there's a little interference at this park.... but I did have 1 or 2 good and fast passes...
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:40 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
Yeah I know I crashed.... there's a little interference at this park.... but I did have 1 or 2 good and fast passes...
Bummer!

Those passes were very nice and fast. That's the CP 3300kv motor isn't it?

Noticed you are flying near houses. Wi-Fi can create these kind of problems.
What RX were you using?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Bummer!

Those passes were very nice and fast. That's the CP 3300kv motor isn't it?

Noticed you are flying near houses. Wi-Fi can create these kind of problems.
What RX were you using?
hhhmmm... never knew that... turnigy receiver.... and yes that was the CP 3300kv on 4S.... I have 2 2500kv motors on their way that I am going to run on 5S...
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,868 Posts
dupe
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Feb 23, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:58 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
hhhmmm... never knew that... turnigy receiver.... and yes that was the CP 3300kv on 4S.... I have 2 2500kv motors on their way that I am going to run on 5S...
The 2500kv on 5S will be very comfortable....

Was the RX an OrangeRX with or without a satellite?

I have had heaps of issues with 6-channel OrangeRX without satellite RXs in EDFs. The battery gets in the line of "sight" and blocks the signal.