HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:03 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Discussion
Changing wheels on SuperCub Lp

Need help on switching out the wheels for the SuperCub Lp. Flew with an instructor today and had tons of fun. Was curious as to whether or not the Du-Bro 2 and 1/2 inch wheels fit this model plane? Was thinking about purchasing the DUB250SL. I don't have the tools or know how to use more advanced tools to grind landing gear down. I was hoping that there are some wheels out there that can just replace the small 2in wheels the plane comes with. I know wheels have been discussed at length, but really just need some simple advice. Thanks in advance.

John
jbartley1130 is offline Find More Posts by jbartley1130
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:19 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
From two to two and a half inches is not much of a change. Why would you want to change them. As far as grinding landing gear don't do it. enlarge the hole in the wheel. I would secure the wheel so it does not move and use a drill press to do it. If you have a steady hand a dremel fit with a drill bit would work.
WillyAA is offline Find More Posts by WillyAA
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:23 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Thanks for the info WillyAA. I would take any advice that you could give me. Are there other tires out there that you would recommend. Today, I felt that landing was harder than it should be (on short cut grass) because of the friction of the grass and the small tires made the plane end up on its prop...no damage because I was going so slow. I am just curious if I can change the size of the wheels to make for an easier land. Makes sense that a larger wheel would help. Thanks again.

John
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:08 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
I have read where some people are using these
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXB927&P=8
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:31 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
I guess my only question is if the tires need any modification before I attach them to the plane. I am able to fly this plane well, but even if I come in for a slow landing that looks great, the plane will flip. I was hoping that not only gaining more experience landing, but also a different tire, might help my landings. Please let me know what you all think as you have way more experience than I do. Thanks! Oh by the way, I am landing on a very flat runway, but have not landed on pavement, only very short grass.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:01 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
Larger wheels should help but then there is a trade off. The larger the wheels the more drag is created. You can try and see what happens.
WillyAA is offline Find More Posts by WillyAA
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyAA View Post
Larger wheels should help but then there is a trade off. The larger the wheels the more drag is created. You can try and see what happens.
Considering the airframe is already draggy, it's not going to be significant enough to notice. If need be, thinner wheels can also be used, at the cost of durability.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:48 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
This is what I did except that I used the Dubro 2 3/4" diamond tread tires. The problem with just switching to larger wheels is that the stock wire landing gear doesn't leave you enough axle to secure nuts to retain the larger wheels. This is an almost perfect solution. Don't shy away from cutting the stock wire axle. It is simple & easy. Look at your LHS for a cutting wheel that will attach to a Dremal tool.

http://supercubclub.proboards.com/in...ad=2945&page=1
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:33 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Bigger Dubro wheels on the SC wire landing gear is an easy mod.

Get brass tubing that fits the wheel axle hole (if I remember right this is usually 3/32" OD tubing). Cut lengths enough for the wheel and a standard wheel collar. Rough up the stock axle with a file and the inside of the tubing with a small drill bit, then epoxy the tubing on. Don't get epoxy on the outside of the tubing (if you do, sand it off so the wheel spins freely). Secure the wheel with the wheel collar.

I went through 3 SC airframes with mods and this wheel axle mod stayed put.

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:59 AM
USA, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2009
812 Posts
In addition to the larger tires try the following:

Drill a hole the diameter of a small wiretie on the aft side of your wire landing gear, right through the plastic. One right as low as you can fit, and the other about half the way up.
Tighten up your wire ties, and you now have the stock plastic being used as a "stressed member".
benski is offline Find More Posts by benski
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Landing on grass is a breeze with the GWS 4" skinny wheels. Less drag, and lots nicer landings.

Just my opinion.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:10 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Yeah, those GWS wheels may look funny, but they sure work great on grass. They roll on between the blades of grass, and the SC and my MiniUtrastick seldom nose over. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt