SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2009, 09:21 AM
Wake Forest NC
Joined Nov 2005
7 Posts
Question
Dumas 19' CC Racer for Beginner

Hello,
After reading some of your posts on the Dumas CC 1949 19 Racer and seeing some of the great photos I have decided look into building one. I have not build an RC boat. My only experience to date is on static boat/ship models... mainly solid hull construction and the Apprentice Series from Midwest Products kits.

I have a question for the forum. With my limited experience, should I start with the Dumas static 19 racer (kit number 1702) or go with the larger scale RC version from Dumas (kit number 1249)? I have worked with smaller scale and sometimes the smaller scale is quite difficult because of the scale (and of course my age/eyesight). Has anyone every build the static model? Is it a solid hull, plywood or planked?

Thanks for the advise!!!

Sincerely,
Joseph
JosephKFuller is offline Find More Posts by JosephKFuller
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2009, 10:18 AM
Albany NY
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Joseph, I'm also new to boat modeling and am currently building the Runabout (#1249) as my first project. Because most of the steps involved were new to me I decided to do my first project as a static build and focus on learning the building process and I'm glad I chose this kit. I'm not familar with the smaller scale kits but I can recommend the larger runabout as a first project. It is really fun and you'll get great help and advice from the folks on this site.

John
Hatchet Jack is offline Find More Posts by Hatchet Jack
Old Jul 06, 2009, 10:47 AM
Wake Forest NC
Joined Nov 2005
7 Posts
Thanks John... I appreciate the input.

I also just ordered Pat's book "Mahogany in Scale". From what I have read on this forum that book will also be a help.

Regards,
Joseph
JosephKFuller is offline Find More Posts by JosephKFuller
Old Jul 06, 2009, 11:43 AM
Petaluma, CA
Joined Jul 2008
229 Posts
Joseph

I too chose this kit as my first to build and it is pretty straightforward, you will find that the instructions are not that clear in the writing and you will be going back and forth between the plans and Pat's book a fair bit but you can work it out pretty quickly.

I have taken a while to get going and am only just now getting around to completing the sub decks and the cockpits but am loving every minute.

I have a Triple cockpit and a Typhoon to do in the future and i sure am learning a lot from the runabout that should pay dividends when i get around to building the other 2.

Do bear in mind the "hidden" costs, with that i mean motor's ESC's, radio and also epoxy/fibreglass, if you decide to go for the west systems epoxy as most do it is not cheap
RussCA is offline Find More Posts by RussCA
Old Jul 06, 2009, 12:11 PM
Fort Wayne IN
Joined Aug 2007
242 Posts
Joseph

I also just ordered Pat's book "Mahogany in Scale".

Good move. This book addressed several issues I had trouble with on past projects.

Most of the steps that will give you fits (epoxy, fiberglass, finishing etc) have been well covered in this forum. You might want to do a quick search on the topic and read up on the subject before you head to the workbench. Most of all, keep posting your progress and questions. The 19' is a great boat. Take your time and enjoy your build.
linerfanatic is offline Find More Posts by linerfanatic