HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:03 PM
Scotland UK
Joined Jan 2005
278 Posts
hi Tuomo,

my Aspire is about 2 years old so maybe I should measure from the L.E. to ensure accuracy.

I have ail/flap mix and whilst adequate it is not too responsive, at my age slow is OK
Ian
sandist is offline Find More Posts by sandist
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2010, 04:17 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandist View Post
hi Tuomo,

my Aspire is about 2 years old so maybe I should measure from the L.E. to ensure accuracy.
The position of tow hook is changed sometimes year 2008. My 2007 Aspires have forward position, while the both 2009 Aspires have towhook moved.

Anyway, not a big issue. The original position is ok for anybody for those flying with normal CG, me 115mm.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:10 PM
traverse city mi
Joined Mar 2004
151 Posts
Hello gang...
Well I am "Piked Out" and I did get my Aspire at Toledo show. I will have it flying by the weekend. Thanks for all the info. I will let you guys know how I am doing. I am sorry I was not able to get a green one do......

Peter
baum58 is offline Find More Posts by baum58
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:40 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,917 Posts
Hey Peter, say hello to Leanne for Jeannie and I. You will love you Aspire. I have one, and it is just brilliant!

Take care.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:44 AM
Joined Feb 2007
382 Posts
Wind

I’ve been watching this thread for a while. At Fresno this weekend we had the worst conditions imaginable. Launching with a minimum of 10 mph (4.7 m/s) down wind for both days for all weekend proved to be an exceptional opportunity to see in the real world what did happen. While several post on the Aspire’s ability to manage the wind better than other design’s have not gone without notice. Supra’s flown by McGowan and Zucker, Browning’s Zenith 3.7 with full reflex, and my Perfect ET did just fine as did. There was no advantage to flying an Aspire in the same conditions.

My best to all the Aspire owners. I just want to share real data in a real world setting.

Keith
Keith Kindrick is offline Find More Posts by Keith Kindrick
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:00 AM
traverse city mi
Joined Mar 2004
151 Posts
Toumo and Pat,
I noticed you both have Aspires and Satoris. Can you compare, build, setup, flight performance....?

Peter
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:20 AM
traverse city mi
Joined Mar 2004
151 Posts
My Aspire is done, yipeeee, most completed "kit". All harnesses in, also with the ballast, good strong finish. However the servo-covers are unusable, too small, too thin, bad fit. I had to use and fit my own.....

Peter
Old Apr 17, 2010, 04:30 PM
Canada, AB, St. Albert
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
I have almost finished my servo installation for my Aspire. I think that the servo frames are OK - a little small for the servo opening but it's going to be covered with tape so it should be fine. I had to grind the flap and aileron clevis down quite a lot to fit under the fairings.
Skysailer is offline Find More Posts by Skysailer
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:56 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baum58 View Post
Toumo and Pat,
I noticed you both have Aspires and Satoris. Can you compare, build, setup, flight performance....?

Peter
I dio not fly Satori, I have one Orca. Aspire and Orca are very different planes. Orca is fun to fly, but I use Aspire in competitions. Differences in flight performance are marginal. Aspire maybe floats better but Orca launches faster/higher.

Small performance differences are not significant in F3J. Try to concentrate on knowing the plane you fly. Trim it well, use right camber setting, ballast right, and learn to know what your plane is capable to do.

To me Aspire is the best allround F3J design, because it is very easy to fly and uncritical to trim. I can consentrate on the important things, like thermal tactics.

PS For those building Aspires, I suggest laminating some extra carbon to wing top skin under flap servo. Aspire has large flaps, and the top skin is flexing somewhat. All my Aspires show clear footprints of flap servo. Also ribs both sides of flap servo are good idea.
Last edited by Tuomo; Apr 18, 2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:53 PM
traverse city mi
Joined Mar 2004
151 Posts
First flight today. New winch, new lines, new plane. I was a bit on the nose heavy side. Broke the line six times. I never had a glider go straight up and pull this hard. Adjusted CG and tow-hook with great results. Great floater at 82 oz. I was able to slow the Aspire for landing.. Tomorrow I will work on optimise handling....

Peter
Last edited by baum58; Apr 23, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:41 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,925 Posts
Peter,
What was wrong with the servo covers? Are you sure that these were stock items? Lubos ends 2 sets of covers one with a bump and one flat both trimmed to shape.
Keith,
I am sorry that the Aspire didn't stand up to your test. I have untold hours on both Perfects and Aspires and IMHO the Aspire covers ground much better than the Perfect. The Aspire also handles and circles better than a Perfect. I am with the other guys here I beleive that the Aspire is the best all rounder.
LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:12 AM
traverse city mi
Joined Mar 2004
151 Posts
Hi Larry, good to have you back in the US of A.
I got all four servo covers. The covers where to small in W and L. Also I had to shim the servo cover opening to make the covers flush without creating a dip or bump. I used JR378 servos on aileron 368 on flaps. So the ailerons covers are flush and the flaps with the usual hump.
I also had to turn down the last of the wing bolts. It would not fit the last wing hole. I did not whanted to crush the aluminum inserts of the center panel. Small problems for the great plane you get. I still have to sell my Pike LT before in get the next Aspire.... looking for one of the light ones......

Peter
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:28 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baum58 View Post
I also had to turn down the last of the wing bolts. It would not fit the last wing hole. I did not whanted to crush the aluminum inserts of the center panel. Small problems for the great plane you get. I still have to sell my Pike LT before in get the next Aspire.... looking for one of the light ones......
Sometimes the wing bolts are a little tight. However, it is not illegal to open the insert a little with a round file

Servo covers a little small side, and not perfectly flush, but they are anyway fixed with tape.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:07 AM
Joined Feb 2007
382 Posts
Handling

Larry,

I accept your opinion. I just do not see what you mention when they fly against me in competition. As you know I have countless hours on the Perfect as well with documented results. I've yet to see this with an Aspire.

Best to you,

Keith
Keith Kindrick is offline Find More Posts by Keith Kindrick
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,534 Posts
Mike Smith won the F3J contest before the SWC with an Aspire.

We need to understand that there is no one prefect design, not even a Pike Perfect This is not directed at the top level pilots reading this, but to the rest of us.

As Keith notes, he often whips up bad on people with his Pike. Mike Smith does the same with his Aspire. Daryl Perkins seems to be able to do well with his Icon2. Joe Wurts beat everyone up at a contest with an EPP 2-meter Beater. And so on. Point being that after a certain point it is pilot skill and not aircraft design that makes the important difference.

As a guy who has honed his skills to be able to stay just outside the upper ranks of soaring talent I look for a plane that I can fly with confidence. I have sadly finally realized that it is my talent, or lack there of, with a transmitter and not the excellence of the aircraft design that has the greatest impact on my placement in contests.

So talk to the top guys, get their feedback on what they like about the plane they are flying and then decide what you think will work best for you in your price range. Then build it and fly the crap out of it. The constant search for the plane du jour is not going to get you into the winner's circle as much as having a solid design, that matches your skills by maximizing your strengths and minimizing your weaknesses.

Then go fly it. A lot.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Apr 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM.