HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:20 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
The retracts in the Byron Staggerwing are very unique to that airplane and I doubt anybody makes an electric gear that will work off the shelf. You may be able to have the Byron gear converted by Down and Locked though. Pricey but possibly worth it.
That's why I might just see if I can make do with an off-the-shelf system and keep cost down. If they could convert it though for a reasonable price...that would be awesome

I'm going to give down and locked a call tomorrow and see if I can get a price quote.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Last edited by Endlesslag; Aug 10, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:07 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
I am going to talk to a guy at my field who builds and flies giant WWI biplanes and might have power system and battery ideas to offer. IIRC he usually mounts his batteries permanently or semi-permanently in his plane, which actually might save a lot of headache. If the CG came out right, I could basically just bolt a power 160 on 10s onto existing firewall, and then directly attach batteries onto the back of the firewall with velcro, zipties, and foam rubber. They would stay in the plane then, but can still be accessed if they need to be replaced. Power leads would be accessible through the bottom of the cowl to plug in for flight, and charging could be done with extensions for main leads and balance taps.

I'd still like a removable solution, but this would be the easy way out I suppose. As for retracts, I am definitely leaning toward a down and locked conversion. Again, maybe a little more expensive but a LOT less headache, and I could be flying pretty much as soon as I have to money to have them converted.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:29 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Couldn't get a hold of Down and Locked today. Will try again tomorrow. As for the batteries and tray, I was talking to a guy at the field and got some ideas. I'll sketch it out tonight.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:42 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Talked to Mitch at D&L. I'm sending them pictures and measurements today, hopefully they can do it. I would probably even fly it as gas if I knew the retracts would come down when needed.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:53 AM
PDK/280@1.0
Joined Oct 2009
764 Posts
Awesome news, keep us posted as if it is within reason I would convert mine.
Andrews421 is offline Find More Posts by Andrews421
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:27 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
The pictures I sent them. Hopefully they are extensive enough to get an accurate price quote for me.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 09:50 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
He finally got back to me. He says the only way he could build me a system is if he had the airframe with him, since the retracts are not removable.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 11:43 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,620 Posts
Does that mean that even if you got new assemblies, you couldn't replace them ?

What do you need the most ?the air cylinders?
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Sep 02, 2013, 11:49 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Does that mean that even if you got new assemblies, you couldn't replace them ?

What do you need the most ?the air cylinders?
If I can get working, leak-free originals I can solve the issue very easily- swap em in and I'd be done. If D&L bilds me a system they need t have all the mechanics and geometry there to make sure it works, and I can't just remove the retract mechanism- It's permanently installed in the aircraft. So to go that route I would need to take the entire airplane to D&L to have it done.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 08:46 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,023 Posts
It seems very odd they can't find a new cylinder that would be 'close enough" to work for you. That or rebuild the cylinders you have. I'm sure a solution will make it's self clear in time.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Sep 03, 2013, 05:08 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,620 Posts
I remember when you repaired yours,sometime ago.
Would it be a lot of trouble to post some dimensions and pictures? Accurate diameters,and photos may help someone locate some for you.

I'm chasing leads of a crashed one from years ago, that may still be in a basement.
I doubt that Byron manufactured them,so there may be a supplier out there.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Sep 03, 2013, 05:42 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I remember when you repaired yours,sometime ago.
Would it be a lot of trouble to post some dimensions and pictures? Accurate diameters,and photos may help someone locate some for you.

I'm chasing leads of a crashed one from years ago, that may still be in a basement.
I doubt that Byron manufactured them,so there may be a supplier out there.
I'll post some later when I get home. If you dig in the thread back to earlier posts I believe I had some dimesions up there... 5/8 bore x 1-5/8" stroke with a 4-40 threaded portion at the end of the shaft. Due to the retract design the location of the holes for mounting the cylinder are extremely important, as are the locations for the air lines.