HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2014, 02:12 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
332 Posts
Yesterday, the Ju gave me opportunity to practice single engine operation. It did not go very well.

The day's first flying was a dream. Everything went so beutifully. I really enjoyed it.

The second one was not so. Somehow I did not run the engines at full throttle for a couple of seconds before take off like I usually do (mistake #1). On the take off run the plane veered to the right and I did not hear the usual "twin sound". I did not abort the take off but continued into the air instead (mistake #2). In the air I realized I had lost the right engine. However I could fly the model somehow and turned to the left to downwind leg. I could hold altitude. Then I lowered the gear (mistake #3) and the model started to descend. I continued to the base leg and tried to reach the runway (mistake #4). The model stalled on the edge of a deep ditch.

Broken propeller. Broken pushrods on both landing gears. Broken landing gear doors and nacelle sheeting on left side. Primary structures seem to be intact.

New propellers are on the way. The pushrods are fixed already. Some gluing still left.

Isn't rc model hobby interesting?

ilkka
I. Klemetti is online now Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
Last edited by I. Klemetti; Aug 12, 2014 at 02:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 03:03 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,145 Posts
yup.. All part of the hobby im afraid. Looks like you got lucky if thats all the damage there is. Youll have that fixed in no time.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 05:12 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
sad to see. you did such a fantastic job on it.
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Aug 13, 2014, 06:57 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,337 Posts
Ouch! Carrying realism a bit too far, don't you think? Glad the damage was minimal and this beautiful bird will soon be back in the air.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:00 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Looks like you got lucky if thats all the damage there is.
Well, that was not all. Lower spar in left outer wing was broken near the nacelle. Fixed with pieces of plywood.

I hope I won't find any more structural damages.

ilkka
Old Sep 20, 2014, 02:32 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
332 Posts
After one flying season I am happy with the Ju. It looks great in the air and the twin four stroke sound completes the impression.

Although relatively small model my Ju represents surprisingly well the characteristics of the full size Ju.
  • CG location is as per full size
  • Ailerons are sensitive. (Corrected with some expo.)
  • Performance is adequate for a bomber. No advanced aerobatics.
  • No nasty habits, relatively easy to land.
  • Single engine characteristics are marginal. It doesn't ascend on one engine and definitely not with gear down.

The landing gear is "locked" down by just having the mechanism aligned. I have to admit that this is not enough for everyday flying. I have had problems with the actuating pusrods all the time. They are okay for normal landings but rougher ones bend the pushrods too easily. During the winter I gotta build some kind of a positive down-locking in the gear to take the loads off the pushrods.

Thank you all for your support on the journey. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

ilkka