HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:02 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
i know the difference between vibration and bouncing im talking about turbulant air not a prop out of balance
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
ROCKY2 wrote:

"..get rid of bounce not vibration..."

You'll have to show us what a video with "bounce not vibration" looks like. If it is the "swimming" motion like is seen in the video that RCRobbie posted above, that is from vibration. The camera gets into a harmonic vibration with the vibrations caused by the motor. You can see the effects can come and go with changes in the motor RPM and when the motor is stopped.

I've had good luck using a length of short 1/8" bungee cord as the pulling tension on that can be adjusted. That will hold the camera solidly in place. If the surface it is on has vibrations in it too, you can put a pieces of 1/4" RC foam between the camera and the mount and that will isolate the camera from the vibration in the wing.

The white block seen there sets the look down angle and has Velcro hooks on one side and loops on the other, the camera has loops on it's back. So the angle block attaches to the wing, the camera attaches to the angle block, and then the bungee cord pulls it all together and holds it that way.

The look angle there is the 22 degree one, I have another block that is 18 degrees. The higher you fly the steeper you want to look down to see what is below you. Too steep and too low and everything moves through the camera's view too quickly...

Jack

I
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:29 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKY2 View Post
what is a good stabilizing sofwhare to get rid of bounce not vibration that wont degrade the quality?
In Youtube there is an video editor that has a very nice stabilizing option. Unfortunately it's only for uploaded video's.

Check this video. Camera is at the horizontal stab but video looks like if it is flying behind the aircraft...

Funcub STOL capability stabilized (1 min 53 sec)
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:34 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
In Youtube there is an video editor that has a very nice stabilizing option. Unfortunately it's only for uploaded video's.

Check this video. Camera is at the horizontal stab but video looks like if it is flying behind the aircraft...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2T5F7fGWIs
but how much of the frame and quality does it take away?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:51 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Hard to say. The unfiltered version on youtube has already degradation compared to the version on my local harddrive.

This is the original youtube file I uploaded:

Funcub STOL capability... (1 min 53 sec)

If you watch them side by side, there is some quality taken away. But that's mostly caused by the filter zooming in, so it can compensate motion by tilting and shifting the image.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:00 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
just watched them side by side and im going to have to go un stabilized you lose to much picture
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:21 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
Can anyone have any software for just "cutting" .mov files of this CAM?

I try to install virtuadob, also copy files "QuickTime64.vdplugin" and "QuickTime.vdplugin" into file "plugins", but when I import .mov file into VDub, there is only sound.

Any ideas, or any other program for quick cutting .mov files.(Output must be .mov)

thanks
hmm
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:30 AM
shoty
Joined Aug 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone have any software for just "cutting" .mov files of this CAM?

I try to install virtuadob, also copy files "QuickTime64.vdplugin" and "QuickTime.vdplugin" into file "plugins", but when I import .mov file into VDub, there is only sound.

Any ideas, or any other program for quick cutting .mov files.(Output must be .mov)

thanks
Mavlo had a good advice a few pages back. btw. avisynth is a great script to use for videoprocessing basicaly you can write everthing you want to be done in your *.avs file and it will be processed on opening in vdub or any other tool which works with avisynth. You can write a file which corrects the colors, deshake the video and undo the vignetting all in one processing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post

So far I avoided VirtualDub because there is no support for MOV files. But.... In conjuction with AviSynth it's very easy to open the MOV files!

This is how it works to open the MOV in VirtualDub:
- Install AviSynth
- In the same folder as the MOV you want to process you create a file like test.avs
- In test.avs you simple enter a single line like this: DirectShowSource( "PTDC0007.MOV" )
- Now open this file in VirtualDub and you will see it reads the file!
shoty is offline Find More Posts by shoty
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:39 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Some progress on my hotspot and vignetting compensation.

I found that Avisyth is much more powerful.

With a couple of lines I substract the hotspot with a BMP file (see earlier post on how I created this), and in a similar way the vignetting. With the levels I can play a bit. Especially in the correction layer I use the gamma to correct more for dark area's than for light. Actually it's more like: 2x dark is still dark. And 20% lighter in the light areas is too light. So that's why I use the curve.

Code:
bg = DirectShowSource("TESTVID.MOV").ConvertToRGB32
hotspot = Imagesource("correctspot.bmp").levels(0, 1, 255, 0, 200)
vignetting = Imagesource("vignetting_3.bmp").levels(0, 1, 255, 0, 100)
hotspotcorrected=overlay(bg,hotspot,mode="subtract",pc_range=true)
vignetting_correction=overlay(hotspotcorrected,vignetting,mode="multiply",pc_range=true).levels(0, 1.7, 255, 0, 170)
overlay(hotspotcorrected,vignetting_correction,mode="add",pc_range=true)
For different video's you only have to change the video source (TESTVID.MOV in this case). This text code in an AVS file, and can be opened in a video editor. The script will do the filtering in the background.

I think I will make a script that automatiscally makes for all MOV files a corresponding AVS file with the right link to the MOV.

In the image below, you see left the processed version, and right the original. To my opinion the left processed version looks much more natural. The vignetting is not completely gone, but after tweaking I think this is the right balance.
Last edited by mavlo77; Aug 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:46 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
I try also this, it show picture, but when I save(export) to .avi; picture lag, any ideas on this?
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:15 PM
Stafford. UK.
Joined Feb 2009
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
As does sharpening, saturation reduction, "hot spot" color correction and vignetting brightness/color correction (the latter being less of an issue with the stills due to the smaller 640x480 subsampled image from the sensor.

If we could only get a better CMOS/lens module, much of this would not be needed.
I know it looks very fiddly in the soldering department, but might it be possible to purchase a better CMOS/lens module if the price is okay and upgrade the #11

Looking at the photos of the CMOS ribbon cable there are 24 solder points but some them may not be used.
draxx is offline Find More Posts by draxx
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:29 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRobbie View Post
Here is the video. The camera is being held on by velcro right behind the prop. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Yes, locate the camera so it is NOT looking through the prop! The black prop lines make for a bad video. You've picked the WORSE possible place for mounting the camera (behind prop AND close to the source of vibration). My original suggestions still apply...
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
hmm
Did you try the suggestion in the FAQs in post #3... i.e. AviDemux. It loads .MOV directly, and can easily trim and output a file with a direct copy mode (no re-encoding). But it does not have output option for a .MOV format. It does output to the more commonplace .MP4 format, which is a kissing cousin derived from the .MOV format. Can't you use that? Many times you can just rename the file attribute tag from .mov to .mp4 and the video will play/edit OK... they are that similar in structure.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
37 Posts
Any tips on lens cleaning, those recessed lenses are a pain. Even a cotton bud has a hard time getting in there. The difference in quality between a clean lens and dirty one is quite substancial.
stvn758 is offline Find More Posts by stvn758
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by draxx View Post
I know it looks very fiddly in the soldering department, but might it be possible to purchase a better CMOS/lens module if the price is okay and upgrade the #11.

Looking at the photos of the CMOS ribbon cable there are 24 solder points but some them may not be used.
Possible in theory, but if you look at the circuit board photos in post #2, you'll see that the CMOS ribbon cable layout (camera V1) changed when a (presumably) different CMOS module started being used (camera V2). In both cables, some of the traces on the circuit board are not being used, but they are not the same traces! Without knowing what kind of signal is expected on the circuit board ribbon cable contacts, there's no way to know if a given CMOS module will work. There doesn't appear to be a standard CMOS pinout arrangement. And aside from that, it would be potluck to know if a given new CMOS was actually better.

I know a different CMOS/lens module had been tried by the developer (claimed to be from the same manufacturer of the CMOS array for the Apple "iEverything" product line). For whatever reason, it did not pan out as being feasible... could be due to cost/benefit.

I believe the #11 needs to go with a larger CMOS (at lease 3 megapixel, and probably 5 megapixel) and a larger lens so a 1280x720 pixel array can be subsampled near the center of the larger CMOS to eliminate the vignetting and get better exposure across the entire frame. I have a 4 year old JAZZ HDV178 camera with a 5 megapixel CMOS that sold for $100 back then. It has many features, very good still images, a standard, easily replaced LI-Ion cell, and had a flip out LCD screen. It weighed 5 oz., but stripped of the case and LCD, could be reduced down to 2.5 oz. Its video is far superior to the #11 because of the larger CMOS/lens. The #11 doesn't need all the bells and whistles... the current Jumbo size is still compact and makes it ideal for many uses where the larger cameras are not suitable. If that JAZZ CMOS/Lens (or similar) could be fit into the Jumbo case (maybe slightly modified), it would be a killer! And the price should not be that much more!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 13, 2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn758 View Post
Any tips on lens cleaning, those recessed lenses are a pain. Even a cotton bud has a hard time getting in there. The difference in quality between a clean lens and dirty one is quite substancial.
Always check the FAQs links in post three with questions... chances are they have already been asked and answered:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5042
Closed Thread