SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2010, 02:14 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Minimoa 2metre Wingspan

Hi all, just got my HobbyKing Minimoa with 2 metre wingspan today in the mail.

Parcel came a little squashed, wingtips was bent.

Will be putting up photos later.
Jack_Chen is offline Find More Posts by Jack_Chen
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2010, 08:51 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
Did you check the total weight as against what HK charge ?
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Aug 07, 2010, 12:09 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Don't forget that it's not just the weight that governs P&P (shipping). There are packaging materials, and staff time that contribute to the costs too.....

And no, I'm not a HK employee!!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Aug 08, 2010, 06:41 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Did you check the total weight as against what HK charge ?
Dear Olmod,

I note you have also asked the same on my review in Hobbyking website as well.

I would like to let you know I work in Shipping myself, specifically in Aircargo. Hobbyking uses Postal Services - HongKong Post for their shipping needs. Not only are you restricted to how heavy the item is, there are also limits on the dimensions. There is therefore an industry practice to convert volume to weight, either lbs or kgs known as Volumetric weight.

The conversion of volume to volumetric weight is not scientific, it is based on an agreed upon ratio by IATA - International Air Transport Association. They do use some scientific basis for the ratio.

However, not all use the same ratio, DHL for instance use a smaller ratio, resulting in higher weight = higher charges.

Why don't you read up on Volumetric weight, especially on Wikipedia.

No matter how big the airplane is, there are still limits to how BIG it can carry. That's why

And if they don't fly it to you, shipping takes weeks/months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Don't forget that it's not just the weight that governs P&P (shipping). There are packaging materials, and staff time that contribute to the costs too.....

Yes, freight is freight, Handling is handling. That's why some mail order services and websites specifiy Shipping + Handling, how much more are we talking about here? It's not a lot more. A cup of coffee and a cake?

I have bought stuff from many countries. Shipping Fees from USA is horrendous due to the distances and all the additional handling charges. Shipping from Europe is just as horrendous, mainly due to the exchange rate. Not to mention the crazy VAT rates.

I can bet you this though. The exact same parcel you received from HobbyKing, if placed through your local postal service, e.g. USPS, Royal Mail, AUSPost, is likely to cost more.

To Olmod, By the way, do you pay 10% GST on the items you received? I studied in Deakin, campus in Melbourne and I used to prepare the cash to pay the postman on delivery for the GST.

VAT is a killer in many countries. Luckily I get tax relief up to $400 Singapore dollars worth per Air Import.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 07:52 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Some photos of the parts straight out of the box.

You have to excuse the state of the wings, item was mishandled by the postal service.

Still, you have to admire the nice bright colours.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:01 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Emergency Repair of the wingtips after postal mishandling.

Added some plywood strips to straight the wing up. Foam safe CA with kicker for the quick setting.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:15 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Parts from the box. In two packets taped together, you have the loose small items.
  1. 4 x Nylon screws - 2 for the elevator, 2 for the wings
  2. Phillips head screw driver - for the nylon screws
  3. some foam doublesided tape
  4. spare props
  5. Y-cable for aileron servos
  6. wing joiner
  7. wing bracket
  8. small allenkey with 2 x grub screws
  9. a tube of unknown adhesive (that looked used)
  10. a spanner/wrench (that don't seem to fit anything on the plane)

Note the rudder with the nylon hinge. I was to discover later in a bad landing that the nylon hinge is not glued proper.

Battery hatch that also covers the wings. Simple to use.

Everything looks great, no missing servos, or parts but inspection is a must for all joints and anything that looks like its glued, needs a strength test.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:29 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Dry fitting of the tail assembly.

Horizontal stabilizer screws into the fuselage. Strengthen with some CA or Epoxy. Note that the elevator surfaces are joined with a rod and they design the fuselage to have a groove to fit the rod. Too bad, it was too low.

Rudder looks good, with holes in the back of the fuselage for you to insert the nylon hinge straight in. I used CA with kicker. Unfortunately, I was too confident of the hinge already glued in on arrival. It came loose in a bad landing when I maiden.

Tail looks great after dry fitting the parts. Minimal adjustment required. Just make sure the foam arrived proper in the parcel and not bent out of shape or anything.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:40 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
The wings are first joined with the wing joiner that also introduce a dihedral.

The bracket hooks up at the back and then the wings are fitted to the fuselage.

Nylon screws go only into the first 2 holes in front and then you just clip on the cockpit/battery hatch.

It looks sleek when you fit everything together.

Checking CG is a little troublesome, having to fix the wings up before you can do anthing and then if you need to adjust, you need to open everything up again. Having another person to assist you at this point is helpful as you fumble with the parts wishing for a 3 hand.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:16 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post

Maybe I should have just asked what was the total weight of the delivered package
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:33 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
Jack

Shame about the damage do you have any suggestions to put to HK to prevent this happening for other customers ?
I look forward to the rest of your build, it should be a good bird , the plastic folder hub may be a worry as i have had similar ones on my test stands break the pins out through the lugs at 8k plus.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:51 AM
"the bouncer"
Australia, VIC, Vermont
Joined Nov 2006
4,771 Posts
Hey Les , mine arrived today , Ill bring it sat morn you can maiden it !!
mackone is online now Find More Posts by mackone
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:52 AM
Australia, VIC, Lang Lang
Joined Feb 2009
130 Posts
Mine arrived today in perfect condition no damage at all,she is a sweet looking bird cant wait to get her in the air. It is of very good qaulity for the price. She is going to be my night flyer, I will post some pics when i have finished
Michael.J.P is online now Find More Posts by Michael.J.P
Old Aug 09, 2010, 08:16 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackone View Post
Hey Les , mine arrived today , Ill bring it sat morn you can maiden it !!
I would love to colour me green
Old Aug 09, 2010, 08:24 AM
New to RC Flying
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Shame about the damage do you have any suggestions to put to HK to prevent this happening for other customers ?
I look forward to the rest of your build, it should be a good bird , the plastic folder hub may be a worry as i have had similar ones on my test stands break the pins out through the lugs at 8k plus.
Before you sign for it, I guess, inspect the parcel and reject it if you suspect something's up.

Quote:
I look forward to the rest of your build
That's about it. After dry fitting the parts, I glue up what's needed and just maiden the plane this afternoon. There is no manual, so my C of G is a little off, tail heavy and had a bad landing.

Nylon screw at the wing ripped the foam out along with the washer. When that happens, the battery/cockpit hatch ripped the part where you slide it in.

Rudder got ripped off the hinge. So glue both ends of the hinge when you first receive it. It is actually a little loose.

Surprise, surprise, the wings survived the bad landing beautifully without a scratch.