HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:30 PM
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,633 Posts
This is insane, in a good way!
Thank you for sharing this technique, I'll bookmark this thread to see it again in the future.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:37 PM
France, Aquitaine, Agen
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleG View Post
This is insane, in a good way!
Thank you for sharing this technique, I'll bookmark this thread to see it again in the future.
You're right, this is the goal, insane and constructive sharing!
pirulin is offline Find More Posts by pirulin
Old Oct 04, 2013, 02:29 AM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
968 Posts
Pirulin, thank you!
I found this topic searching for "kevlar vs glass" and although it is not about building a plane, I thought you might be a right man to ask... I presume you know a lot about both these materials.
What I want is to cover the belly of a large EPP flying wing (i.e., surface nearly as flat as a table) with bends over the leading edges. Target is merely to protect the wing from rough landings.
Kevlar 200D is about 27 US dollars per square meter, glass fabric of the same weight is more than 20 times cheaper (about 1.2 dollars).
I am planning to spray the wing with 3M77, spread the protection over it, and as soon as it dries, use polyacrilic coating building up 3-4 layers over it.
The difference in price will be about 25 bucks
Do you think Kevlar is worth extra 25 dollars? If yes, - why?

Thank you.
- Mark -
Cathay Stray is offline Find More Posts by Cathay Stray